Thread: usb charging device

Thanks

Default usb charging device

anyone have any recommendations on some type of usb charging device.
    i will describe.
    something that is basically a portable battery that you plug into via usb and it charges your devices without the need to plug into a power point.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Over a year ago I bought a battery pack from Aldi for just that purpose and it seems to work ok.
    It came with a slew of connectors for various devises and has 2 standard USB OUT ports.
    According to the label it contains a 7400 mAh battery with an output of 5V at 2A.
    It itself has a mini USB input allowing it to be charged either by using the supplied mains charger or ciggy lighter connector provided it is only a 5V supply.
    Physicaly its about 100 mm (4 inches) square by 25 mm high, in a nice robust rounded edges shiny metal case.

I havent seen it since and I cant remember the price but I didnt think it was too expensive at the time for what it claimed to be able to do.

It has the Traveler brand, product number 36736, model number MPP 7400.
    It may be out of date but Google it and see what turns up.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-04-13 at 02:12 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-04-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

bloody double post,sorry
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 03-04-13 at 02:06 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

DSE sell a battery jumpstarter with cigarette ligter adapter so you could use one of those, I bought one for $29 on sale, it has a built in air pump as well, and a light.
    The funny thing is the pump works a treat as does the light and cigarette lighter, but it isnt capable of starting the car.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I've seen small ones at Woolworths, alkaline or rechargeable NiMh pack with output to USB 5v.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Grab one of these ..

• The Following User Says Thank You to carjackma For This Useful Post:

ada101 (26-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carjackma View Post
    Grab one of these ..

I agree with this, this would probably be your best bet. Also, you could always look around Ebay, I'm sure they have some cheap alternative to this that would work just fine for your devices.

Thanks

I know that for Ipad you have to plug it into plug point for it to work. If you try via PC, it does not work however if you download Asus air onto your laptop you will enable your pc to give enough power to charge Ipad.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damachine View Post
    I know that for Ipad you have to plug it into plug point for it to work. If you try via PC, it does not work however if you download Asus air onto your laptop you will enable your pc to give enough power to charge Ipad.
    I have several Mains to USB chargers and they are either rated at 500MA or 1000MA.
    From what I understand most computers limit the USB power to 500MA on each port which is why its always considered a good idea to either use a powered USB hub or self powered devise such as an external HDD etc.
    This minimum power output has also been found on certain types of TV set top box's (Terrestrial or Satellite) when trying to use the PVR facility.
    I have a little (80GB) pocket HDD that came as a bonus when I bought a printer and it came with a 'Y' USB cable and I was told that because of the minimum power out of a L/top, you plugged BOTH USB connections into the L/top to ensure it received sufficient power.
    Remember that L/tops are more 'sensitive' to power usage due to being battery powered themselves.

Oh, and dont be surprised if some devises wont charge when using a standard USB connection as the maker may have deliberately selected their own pin configuration making you use their connecters/adapters only..
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 08-07-13 at 02:08 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (08-07-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have several Mains to USB chargers and they are either rated at 500MA or 1000MA.
    From what I understand most computers limit the USB power to 500MA on each port which is why its always considered a good idea to either use a powered USB hub or self powered devise such as an external HDD etc.
    This minimum power output has also been found on certain types of TV set top box's (Terrestrial or Satellite) when trying to use the PVR facility.
    I have a little (80GB) pocket HDD that came as a bonus when I bought a printer and it came with a 'Y' USB cable and I was told that because of the minimum power out of a L/top, you plugged BOTH USB connections into the L/top to ensure it received sufficient power.
    Remember that L/tops are more 'sensitive' to power usage due to being battery powered themselves.

Oh, and dont be surprised if some devises wont charge when using a standard USB connection as the maker may have deliberately selected their own pin configuration making you use their connecters/adapters only..
    Yes I know that usb ports give very little power, this is why I had suggested that you use the program called Asus AI. Search for it on Google. What this software does is enable your pc to give off more power through your usb port. It worked for me. My ipad never use to charge on my laptop. On the battery bar it use to say "not charging". After installing this software the not charging sign changed to a lightning bolt which tells me that the Ipad is charging.

Premium Member

Thanks

It makes me wonder if the 'power option' was turned off on your USB port but I dont know enough about the configuration of either a L/top or desktop circuit board that allows you to be able to regulate them as far as current output.
    I know there are jumper pins but I thought all they did was either connect or disconnect the applicable ports.

Thanks

Default Hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by osiris777 View Post
    i will describe.
    something that is basically a portable battery that you plug into via usb and it charges your devices without the need to plug into a power point.

Hi, I've actually had a USB supported MP3 Player that had a usb plug on the side of the player. To Charge the Mp3 player all you needed to do was simply take the usb top off and connect it to your Pc. After this, you would see a Charging icon on the Mp3 Player and the computer will say 'Its Recognized'. This Mp3 Player was called the Craig 2GB Personal Mp3 Player, It is still out for sale online and I think you should go search for it!
    Last edited by Kendra Taylor; 10-07-13 at 05:55 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

i will describe.
    Just to get back 'On Track', this was the original post made by Osiris asking about a portable battery pack to be used as required when away from other sources.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

There's numerous 'battery pack' USB power/charging sources available.

eg:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

double post

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Noticed 2 today in an email I got from Kogan.

I am getting near tempted , 11000mah !!

Edit : Just noticed free shipping on these as well, I think I might buckle and get one.

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

I bought one of these, should be in the post very soon.

It was $30.00

Will post a review, when I receive it.

Thanks

i will describe.
    A lot of people talk about the brand name Mili. It seems to be a popular choice when it comes to portable device chargers. I haven't bought one myself, but I do see that it's somehow affordable at $70. I normally see it in duty free shops at airports.