Thread: off peak in NSW??

Gulargambone, Western Plains, NSW, Australia.
    Thanks

Default off peak in NSW??

Hi all,
    We have just moved to NSW from WA and have a question about off peak hot water.

We found in the meter box 2 standard meters and 1 what I assume is a smart meter.
    The master HWS switch was switched "ON" so I turned it off to hopefully change the HWS over to night rate.
    There is no switch marked day / night or similar that we had been used to in both WA and Vic.
    Switching the switch OFF simply turned the HWS off permanently so it went cold over a couple of days.
    This makes me think that there is no off peak facility in our system and that I should get a sparky to check this out and install a changeover switch??
    Is this a reasonable perception??

Thanks.

I have not yet investigated just what meter operates the HWS. It wouldnt be permanently on the second standard meter would it. I am never around when the HWS fires up.
    Last edited by muddy0409; 07-04-13 at 10:07 PM.
    Don't be too quick to dismiss conspiracy theories.
    Remember that EVERYTHING that has EVER been discovered
    started somewhere as a THEORY!!

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

The off peak is switched by mfc tones on the grid. It is not a user function.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Older Off Peak meters had a clock built in for OFF Peak use which looked different to the standard meter, but it wasnt adjustable by the user as far as I know.
    Some had a 'TEST' switch which bypassed the clock but again, that depends on the supplier.
    I think that Tone switching is both area and provider dependent so you would need to contact your current supplier.
    Based on what you have said, the HWS may simply be thermostatic controlled but I think you need to find out why you have 3 meters and what their functions are.
    I always thought 3 meters indicated a 3 Phase supply generaly used on items such as old solid top electric stoves, Tankless or Instantanous HWS or a multi element HWS.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

the third meter you have may be a zellweger relay. See if you can see a brand on it or take a pic. They are a bit square compared to your standard meter and don't have a numerical display. These in QLD for turning on and off the off peak supply. If this is what you have then you cant adjust them. Its controlled by the power company

Thanks

Thing is on the money
    Assume there is only 1 phase supply (only 2 cables to the house) you will have 1 meter that supplies everything except the hws the 2nd meter will do this at op rates the other (smart meter) will be the control relay that is switched by your provider.
    Nice little town usually stop there on the way to grawin
    Last edited by mickc; 08-04-13 at 05:42 PM.