Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another VAST box dead power supply??

Thanks

Default Another VAST box dead power supply??

It seems as if a VAST box I installed less than 2 weeks is U/S. The customer told me they were watching TV and an info box popped up and said boot and then turned off and wouldn't turn on again. They tried everything to get it going again but no lights come up or anything. Has any one had the same experience. I only just repaired a box outside of warranty with a faulty power supply but 2 weeks into it seems a bit rich. Have yet to inspect the box (I wont be opening it) but the customer is fuming. They just turned their foxtel off so no TV and guess who's coping the blame.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to budgey For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (09-04-13)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,043 Times in 6,759 Posts

I had one fail quite early.... not as early as this one though.

UEC aren't doing themselves any favours with these power supplies,especially with competition now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

budgey (09-04-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 955 Posts

Not a good look, only 2 weeks old

You would think a near new STB, would contain a UEC fix to the power Supply failure problem .....
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

That's what I would've thought and sent them an email outlining the fact that the issue was bought up a while ago. The thing I cant understand is that with postage the customer always has to fork out (its with everything I deal with a lot of RMA's). In this instance the customer wants it back asap which means express which means $$ out of my pocket and then I end up losing money (as I said I do this as a side biz and have very generous installation prices ) Im hoping UEC out of the goodness of their heart and going some way to retribution will pay at least the cost if not the express cost. Humax Hmm.

Thanks

I can also vouch it was a newly made box and not a dust collector as it had latest firmware out of the box.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 955 Posts

where did you buy it from ....... a local supplier ?

I have been told they will sometimes just swap it for a new STB, & then they will get a replacement from uec

never had to do this .... just what I was told
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Jungle Jumble I had dealings with UEC before so thought that hitting the source would be best will shoot an email to supplier thing is I don't want to be slugged postage for something I'm not liable for but I always seem to cop it. If I even ask a customer to contribute they say nah just give a full refund or why should I be liable for it and I'm asking the same question. I tell you its not only VAST that don't seem to make good gear a lot of stuff gets RMA'ed as I deal with a lot of electrical equipment. Nature of the beast I guess not poor workman ship but still common occurrence same problem = poor quality control.

• The Following User Says Thank You to budgey For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-04-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

The one my 12 times removed 'cousin' bought is over 2 years old and still going ok but the one I got under the HAS died within 6 weeks from memory, its replacement must be approaching its 1st birthday soon.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Default dead Power supply?

Hi guys,

Hopefully one of the gurus can help me? I have had, what appears to be a power supply failure. my vast box went completely dead after a power cut and never came back to life, no lights, nothing. After reading this and several other forums, i purchased a compatible power supply unit off ebay which was identical to the one in my 4121 box. After the simple install I plugged it in and nothing???

Can anyone tell me why this might be the case and perhaps if there is something else which may cause the box to go completely dead. The fuse is ok, as it was on the board i removed from the unit, no other signs of physical damage.

Cheers

Paul

Administrator
    Thanks

If the fault was caused by a mains power failure, the box may have had a power spike or brownout (low voltage - high current) which may have damaged other areas of the circuitry.

It's unlikely, but perhaps your replacement PS is faulty.

Have you checked output voltage from both the old and new power supplies to confirm if they are working or not?

irritant (15-02-17)

Thanks

The above plus -- I have had a fuse look fine but actually be us. Check it with a multi-meter or replace just to make sure. And please keep us informed of the outcome.

• The Following User Says Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

irritant (15-02-17)

Thanks

Hi Guys, thanks for the very prompt replies.

plugged in the board and checked voltage across the pins, around 16.1 V and one pin was around 20V?! seems quite high? I had the multimeter on the 20V setting. I tried to check the voltage across the fuse but nothing detected. Please note I am no sparky (a bit of a novice). When the new board is plugged in and not connected to the main board it makes a clicking noise, however when plugged in the click to main board the click is not there. The old board on the other hand does not do this?

Thanks for the help

Paul

Thanks

Perhaps the board is fried as well, although no obvious sign of damage

• The Following User Says Thank You to hobbo83 For This Useful Post:

irritant (15-02-17)

Thanks

Default Power supply issues

Just checking to see if anybody has been able to pinpoint the problem with UEC Vast power board, or maybe a capacitor that needs replacing like the humax problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 88978123 View Post
    Just checking to see if anybody has been able to pinpoint the problem with UEC Vast power board, or maybe a capacitor that needs replacing like the humax problem.

If it hasn't been posted elsewhere regarding UEC DSD 4121 decoder power supply failures:

Lately, I'm fixing a lot of the Model: PJ321R REV.:0 power supplies that stop working after power outages.

R3 & R4, 1MΩ resistors, are the cause, either one or both go open circuit. These provide power to allow U1, the PWM controller, to function. Replacing both at the same time is recommended, even if only one of them has failed.

***WARNING*** when these resistors go open circuit the mains rectified supply capacitor C1 remains charged for a looong time & needs to be safely discharged before dismantling & working on the power supply.
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

88978123 (15-02-17),admin (05-12-15),irritant (15-02-17),jbeatty (29-11-16),mtv (08-09-15),OSIRUS (08-09-15),sdrambo (21-12-16),Tiny (09-09-15),tristen (09-09-15),weirdo (08-09-15)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antennaman View Post
    If it hasn't been posted elsewhere regarding UEC DSD 4121 decoder power supply failures:

Lately, I'm fixing a lot of the Model: PJ321R REV.:0 power supplies that stop working after power outages.

R3 & R4, 1MΩ resistors, are the cause, either one or both go open circuit. These provide power to allow U1, the PWM controller, to function. Replacing both at the same time is recommended, even if only one of them has failed.

***WARNING*** when these resistors go open circuit the mains rectified supply capacitor C1 remains charged for a looong time & needs to be safely discharged before dismantling & working on the power supply.
    Well worthwhile digging up an old thread for a change.

Timely too... I have a dead DSD 4121 which I'll check.

irritant (15-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

As I poster elsewhere earlier this year, I had a refurbished DSD 4121 die during activation.
    I had already done one for the same owner and as I began to do online activation for the second one, I looked back at the STB and NOTHING, no display, no lights, just DEAD and it had barely switched on for 5 minutes.
    Yet my original one which must be around 3 years old and despite power surges, lightning strikes and outages soldiers on and its mate ( a replacement for one that failed) is over 2 years old and neither off them are switched off unless the power goes off.

Considering the number that have been sold as they were the only brand available to begin with, it would be interesting to know just what has been the failure rate over all and were they all attributed to problems with the power board?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 09-09-15 at 12:10 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

irritant (15-02-17)

Thanks

Default Crookwell

Have had two vast power supplies fail in a week, is there a circuit diagram out there?

Thanks

Default Thank You Antennaman,

Relaced faulty R3 & R4 to fix one, Replaced C10 to fix the other.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hudson Pratley For This Useful Post:

mtv (24-09-15),sublib25 (30-08-17),tristen (23-09-15)

Thanks

Hi everybody,
    I am looking at buying an Altech UEC 4121 RV VAST receiver for Christmas but don't want to buy a problem! There seems to have been a lot of failures with these boxes. Just wondering what everybody thinks. I am a bit put off from buying the UEC 4121 receiver from reading some of these threads! Also wondering about the PVR functionality as well of the receiver. I believe you need a separate remote and pin code to access the PVR side of the receiver?
    Any other recommendations for a Vast box would be appreciated.Thanks folks!

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast