Thread: Adding VAST tv service to another room

Thanks

Default Adding VAST tv service to another room

I have searched posts and found conflicting responses to this. I am new to VAST tv but I think I have gained a basic understanding.

I have recently purchased a house in country area which already has a satellite dish and the VAST set top box decoder in the lounge. There are no other tv points anywhere in the house. I would like to have a tv point in the main bedroom so I am seeking advice on the easiest and most cost effective way to achieve this.

can I use a cable splitter and run this to another set top box in the bedroom. I see the there are satellite specific splitters that are advertised to use for connection of two satellite decoders. I realise that this sort on answers my question but some previous posts about this topic have confused me about this.

second question…. Can I purchase a second satellite decoder to use at the same address, does this come with a seperate smart card and are there any issues with registering a second smart card at the same address?

thanks in advance

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Moved thread to correct section.

How many cables are there from the LNB on the dish?

Using a splitter is not the best option as it halves the signal.

The best method is to use a multiswitch, which will allow multiple boxes to operate independently.

Yes, if the address qualifies for access to VAST you can register additional VAST decoders.

VAST smart cards are paired to the box it comes with.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

Short answer: use a all port power pass 2/ way sat splitter. Don't worry about the losses there is plenty enough signal for 2 outlets. DO use high quality (RG6) coax to avoid losses. Simple installation easy & cheap. As MTV said it's not the best BUT if it aint broke don't fix it.
    Be sure your authorisation is legit as VAST admin can be a pain if they do an audit on your subscription. (just some friendly advice).
    Hope this helps in your quest.

Thanks

Tony how many outputs does the LNB have?

Cheers Hos Here

Thanks

It only has one output. I see that I can buy a LNB with 2 outputs and run a second cable into the house. Is this the best way or are the other replies here better options?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I’m learning about sat tv as I go, two days ago I knew nothing.

Is there a particular multiswitch you would recommend?

thanks again

tony
    Last edited by Tony1968; 13-03-23 at 06:35 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1968 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I’m learning about sat tv as I go, two days ago I knew nothing.

Is there a particular multiswitch you would recommend?
    Any multiswitch will do.

A cheap 4 output will work fine.

Multiswitches have two inputs, one for horizontal signals and one for vertical signals.

Many satellite program providers (EG: Foxtel) use both horizontal and vertical transponders, so they need a dual output LNB.

VAST currently only use vertical transponders, but that may change in the future, so if it does, you would need to install a dual output LNB.

A multiswitch provides vertical and horizontal signals to each output, which a decoder switches to vertical by applying 13VDC to the output port and 18VDC for horizontal.

You could use a multiswitch for VAST with only the vertical input connected to the single LNB cable.

OR... if you only want one extra outlet/box, you could install a dual output LNB and run one cable to each VAST box (with no need for a multiswitch).
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

Great thanks. This answers all my questions, thanks very much for the advice