Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intelsat 19 FTA from Sydney and config questions.

Thanks

Default Intelsat 19 FTA from Sydney and config questions.

HI everybody. I appologise in advance for possibly asking stupid questions. I have tried to do as much research before posting but I still not sure about some things. So the story is this. My father has been wanting to have his current satellite/receiver configured so he can watch certain balkan channels. Thats all the info he can give me. Talking about Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Greek channels etc. My uncle a few streets away from him has had this done and paid $400 to somebody to do it. My father can't afford it and I said I would help out. But rather than just forking out the money I thought I would try it myself, and at same time learn about it. He is located in Western Sydney. I am in Wollongong. He has also been given a new box which apparently will definitely work for the channels he needs.

Dad's setup:
    DISH:Small fixed dish, I would say about 90cm. Similar size to ones you get for pay TV from Foxtel/Austar.
    LNB:The LNB has following information on the label: Supernet H110, Input Freq 12.25-12.75Ghz, LO 11.3Ghz, Output Freq 950-1450Mhz,
    New Receiver: Globox HD-4
    Old(Current) Receiver: Space-120

My setup: (Ex Mystar HD Installation)
    DISH: Small fixed dish, I would say about 90cm. One that Austar install.
    LNB: All I can see is that its a Sharp. Has 4 outlets. No idea why that is. I do know the Mystar HD box needed two connections to it. Maybe its required for HD.

From what I can see, my dad's receiver is set to Optus B3. Looking at lyngsat again this doesn't show any channels available on B2. However I learned that B2 has been replaced by D2. He receives some FTA channels but not many, and definitely not the ones he is interested in. After looking up Lyngsat information I am pretty sure the dish I need to point/configure for is Intelsat 19 which appears to carry the channels he is after (TV Plus at 12527H). . I have taken his new receiver to myplace to play around till I know how to do it so not to inconvenience him.

So, These are my questions.

1. Is Intelsat 19 the right satellite to be configuring for. I mean is it visible on his small dish from Sydney or should I keep looking for a different satellite? Seems to have the channels he is after. If I am right Ku band is available for Intelsat19 in Australia and C band is what I need for Asian satellites for which I will need a large satellite dish.
    2. Will his current setup work for Intelsat19. With his dish and LNB as specified above and the old or new receiver.
    3. I have borrowed his Globox HD-4 thinking to play around with it at my place so I learn before I install it at his place. Will it work with my ex austar HD dish and LNB?. My LNB seems to have 4 connections. Its a Sharp. Not sure if some of these are inputs or all outputs etc. So confused there.
    4. I have got some android apps and also ordered one of them cheap ebay analogue satellite finders to help out. Don't have the ebay gadget yet but the app shows me which way Intelsat 19 is. Once I have pointed the dish what do I need to do on the receiver side as far as setting up the satellite. I think I know how to setup the channels by inputting the transponder frequencies as listed on lyngsat but not sure what to put in for satellite. It asks for satellite name, LNB Type, LNB power, 22k, DiSEqc.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you all in advance.
    Cheers.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I'm just on my way out and will post a more detailed response later, unless someone beats me to it.

All of the B series Optus sats were replaced many years ago, so your info is very outdated.

IS19 has recently replaced IS8, so your receivers may still show IS8 in the name.

The standard size dish used for Foxtel/Austar is 65cm....... larger dishes provide a stronger signal.

The Sharp LNB's used by Foxtel/Austar have an LO of 10700 (all four outputs of your quad LNB are the same) so you will need to select the correct LNB LO frequency in the decoders..... note the LO of 11300 is different on the other LNB.
    Last edited by mtv; 11-04-13 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks

Thanks mtv.

OK so the dishes are 65cm. Thanks for clarifying the 4 outputs on the Sharp LNB that is at my place. I don't remember seeing any satellites listed in the satellite list on the new Globox receiver. The old Space-120 receiver only has the Optus B2 listed. What I want to know is how to setup a new satellite so it is in the list so I can then go to configure the TPs. The LO frequency you mention I assume is what I need to put in the field of LNB type when you are adding a new satellite in the menu system of the receiver. What about the other settings? Are the values for these other options satellite dependent or LNB dependent.

What does the differing Lo of the two LNBs mean . Will they both work anyway or will one work better than the other. Or is it just a matter of knowing which one you have so you know what to correctly set in the receiver.

Will wait for your more detailed post. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I'm just on my way out and will post a more detailed response later, unless someone beats me to it.

All of the B series Optus sats were replaced many years ago, so your info is very outdated.

IS19 has recently replaced IS8, so your receivers may still show IS8 in the name.

The standard size dish used for Foxtel/Austar is 65cm....... larger dishes provide a stronger signal.

The Sharp LNB's used by Foxtel/Austar have an LO of 10700 (all four outputs of your quad LNB are the same) so you will need to select the correct LNB LO frequency in the decoders..... note the LO of 11300 is different on the other LNB.

Administrator
    Thanks

The dishes will be suitable for IS19 Ku band channels, providing the desired transponders cover Australia.

The LO of the LNB determines its frequency range.

Providing the frequencies of the desired satellite transponders fall within the LNB's range, it doesn't matter which LO of an LNB you use, but you must ensure the LO of the LNB is entered into the decoder. eg: they must match.

Loking at the pic of the LNB, it appears to be damaged... cracked case?

If that's the case, you'll need to replace it.

I can't help with any info about the Globox HD-4 receiver, as I've never heard of it.

You'll need to follow the programming instructions in the manual.

The LNB type must match the type of LNB, which may include the LO frequency.

Common types are single and Universal. An LNB with a single LO (eg:10700 or 11300) is different to a Universal LNB which has two LO frequencies.

I'd recommend a 10700 LO LNB.

LNB power must be ON

22k and diseqc should be OFF

Many TV channels listed on IS19 are encrypted and require a subscription and smartcard to view them.

Some program providers may also require the purchase of their own decoder to access their channels, so you need to ensure you know exactly what channels your father wants to view, that are listed on Lyngsat.

As you said your uncle has the channels your father wants, I suggest you post details of those channels, etc, then we can determine what your father needs.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

jastreb (12-04-13)

Thanks

The dishes will be suitable for IS19 Ku band channels, providing the desired transponders cover Australia.
    I dont understand this. If the satellite covers Australia how can the transponders not cover Australia? I thought the TPs are just different frequencies that different providers use to provide their content. Obviously I don't know too much about this and I will try and research it a bit more. But if my uncle gets them then my dad should also be able to get them as they live close by.

Providing the frequencies of the desired satellite transponders fall within the LNB's range, it doesn't matter which LO of an LNB you use, but you must ensure the LO of the LNB is entered into the decoder. eg: they must match.
    Loking at the pic of the LNB, it appears to be damaged... cracked case?
    I did notice that too. It is not cracked but seems that the lnb is comprised of two shells that are like glue cemented together. What you see is that cement like adhesive that has cracked and fallen from one corner of the lnb. If I was to replace it, what LNB type and frequncy should I get that will work with his 65cm dish on Ku band? One that will give him most flexibility and widest range of frequencies.I assume 10700 single as you mentioned in your post.

Now I don't get this LO property. Please see the following two screenshots from the Globox. One is the menu for the satellite config and other is for the LNB config.
    Dish Setup:
    LNB Setup:
    As you said in your first response, Intelsat 8 not 19 was configured which is the old satellite. So I deleted that and configured Intelsat19. I will also change the 22Khz to off as you suggested when I get home tonight. When you say LO, is that what I should put in the LNB type on the STB? Cause there is no mention of LO on the labels of either LNB. I assume though that it is and I have set that to 10700 for my Sharp LNB and I will set that to 11300 for dad's lnb.

LNB power must be ON
    22k and diseqc should be OFF
    The LNB power field is not an ON/OFF one. It asks for voltages. Are these settings dependent on the LNB or the satellite? Where do I find these for myself?

Some program providers may also require the purchase of their own decoder to access their channels, so you need to ensure you know exactly what channels your father wants to view, that are listed on Lyngsat.
    As you said your uncle has the channels your father wants, I suggest you post details of those channels, etc, then we can determine what your father needs.
    The ones he wants are listed under Freq. TP 12527H on Intelsat 19. The encryption says Mpeg 2 and Mpeg 4. So as long as the STB can do MPEG 2 and 4 I assume its all good and they are FTV. Am I right?

Your help is much appreciated. I am starting to get more hungry for information. I hope this doesn't end up being another hobby for me. My wife wouldn't appreciate it.
    Cheers

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jastreb View Post

The ones he wants are listed under Freq. TP 12527H on Intelsat 19. The encryption says Mpeg 2 and Mpeg 4. So as long as the STB can do MPEG 2 and 4 I assume its all good and they are FTV. Am I right?
    Yes that's right. 12527 H 30.000 DVBS2.
    Last edited by toyboy11; 12-04-13 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Added info

Administrator
    Thanks

The ones he wants are listed under Freq. TP 12527H on Intelsat 19. Intelsat 19 at 166.0°E - LyngSat The encryption says Mpeg 2 and Mpeg 4. So as long as the STB can do MPEG 2 and 4 I assume its all good and they are FTV. Am I right?
    The channels listed on that transponder are part of TVPlus subscrption pay TV packages.

They are not free to air.

You have to pay for a TVPlus decoder and smartcard and pay an ongoing subscription to access the channels.

The channels were FTA whilst TVPlus were testing, but they are now encrypted.

As I previously mentioned, I recommend a 10700 LNB.

LNB voltage for horizontal is 18 volts (vertical is 13 volts).

I suggest you talk to your uncle to see if he is subscribing to TVPlus and look at their website to see what Balkan packages are available and the costs for same.

As for IS19 footprints..... not all transponders cover Australia, but 12527 H does.

Banned
    Thanks

[B]They are not free to air.
    That's odd I did a manual scan on 12527 yesterday and they where all FTA (43) of them from memory.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    That's odd I did a manual scan on 12527 yesterday and they where all FTA (43) of them from memory.
    They might well be atm but TV Plus is in the process of encrypting the services so it would not be wise to buy a receiver that can't take the smartcard that is required (soon)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    They might well be atm but TV Plus is in the process of encrypting the services so it would not be wise to buy a receiver that can't take the smartcard that is required (soon)
    Exactly.

They are TVPlus channels and they will be encrypted as most of the other TVPlus channels are already encrypted, so it's a fair bet these won't be too far behind.

The OP should be able to tune and watch them whilst they are unencrypted, but will require a TVPlus decoder, smartcard and subscription to continue viewing those channels when they become encrypted.

toyboy11 (13-04-13)

Thanks

I can confirm that my uncle is not using a special TV Plus decoder, or smartcard and has no subscription to anything. So from what I can see is that these are FTA. mtv is right though. I have been reading on other threads, these channels will be encrypted in the near future. For the time being though they will work.

So on the weekend I moved my dish to point to Intelsat 19. Configured the decoder with the info as specified by mtv. I am afraid I had no luck. When I scanned I got nothing.

Can somebody tell me, how precise do you have to be to receive a signal from a dish. With a 65cm dish do you have to be spot on for it to work? Also I did not play around with the rotation of the lnb. I read that this can also be important. I left that the same as it was for the Austar installation. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jastreb View Post
    I can confirm that my uncle is not using a special TV Plus decoder, or smartcard and has no subscription to anything. So from what I can see is that these are FTA. mtv is right though. I have been reading on other threads, these channels will be encrypted in the near future. For the time being though they will work.

So on the weekend I moved my dish to point to Intelsat 19. Configured the decoder with the info as specified by mtv. I am afraid I had no luck. When I scanned I got nothing.

Can somebody tell me, how precise do you have to be to receive a signal from a dish. With a 65cm dish do you have to be spot on for it to work? Also I did not play around with the rotation of the lnb. I read that this can also be important. I left that the same as it was for the Austar installation. Any ideas.

Thanks.
    Dish and LNB alignment is critical.

What did you do to align the dish?

You must have signal from a correctly-aligned dish and LNB and correctly-programmed decoder before scanning, otherwise, your decoder will not receive anything.

Apps and internet sites offer an approximate starting position only.

You must be able to see signal scales to accurately align the dish and LNB.

Moving needle satfinders will only indicate they have found a signal.

They cannot tell which transponder or even which satellite the signals are coming from.

This is where you either need a meter which has signal strength and signal quality scales/readings, or use a satfinder in conjunction with a decoder which displays signal scales on a screen.

You must be able to see the screen whilst making adjustments.

You also need to make ajustments/movements of the dish and LNB very slowly, as decoder signal scales are not real time, so they need a second or two to 'update' after changes.

LNB skew will directly affect signal quality and this should be set approximately correct before attempting any dish alignment.

The LNB skew for Optus sats is different to all other sats. For Sydney/Wollongong, the output connector on the LNB will be approx in the 7 o'clock position, when viewed from the front of the dish.

For IS19, the approx LNB skew will be around the 5 o'clock position when viewed from the front of the dish, so set the LNB skew first, then align the dish.

Dish azimuth & elevation and LNB skew need to be precisely adjusted whilst watching signal scales to optimise signal strength and quality.

Apart from the apps you have, you can also try

Enter your address and select the desired satellite and drag the marker to where you dish is.

Once again, this is only a guide and you must use the signal scales when making adjustments.

Regardless of when TVPlus encrypts the channels, requiring a change of decoder....... you'll still need to have your dish & LNB aligned accurately to receive them.

Hope this helps.

jastreb (19-04-13)

Thanks

What did you do to align the dish?
    I used two different android apps. When I was up on the roof they both pointed in the same direction so I thought that must be right. Yesterday I went on a web site that lets you put in your location and it super imposes a line on a google satellite image from the address to the satellite. What it showed was that the direcion of the satellite is in a much different location to where the android apps had shown me. So I bought another app which is supposed to be the best, went home and from my back yard I went to see which way it would point the satellite to be. To my shock it pointed in a completely different direction to the other two apps, but the good thing is that it seems very close to what the web site was showing me. I then accidentaly moved to a different area of my yard and noticed that the direction of the satellite had changed. have now realised the error of my ways. The compass on the phone is affected by metal structure around me which I did not think. So when I was up on the roof , the dish was probably playing havoc on the compas giving me false readings. This weekend I plan to go up on the roof and try the new direction and change the LNB skew to what you suggested. I will let you know how I go. Thanks mtv.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you use the website I gave you enter your address and satellite, then drag the marker to where your dish is, I've found it to be a good approximation.

Thanks

If you use the website I gave you enter your address and satellite, then drag the marker to where your dish is, I've found it to be a good approximation.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. The website you gave me IS the one I used. So I will try what it suggests on the weekend.

Thanks

To give you all an update. I managed to get it working at my house. Wasn't easy. Can't believe how precise you have to be. This Friday I will go to dad's place and try and get it working for him too. I bought him a new 10700 LNB as well.

Thank you all for helping especially mtv.

• The Following User Says Thank You to jastreb For This Useful Post:

mtv (23-04-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Good to hear you had success.

Yes, dish/lnb alignment is critical and can take a lot of patience to get it spot on.

Thanks

Default Intelsat 19 FTA from Melbourne

Well, after messing around with a similar set-up and achieving limited to no success for some time now, I stumbled upon this thread on Google today and found it very informative!

Coincidentally, my dad wants to watch the same channels on IS19 but he's located in Melbourne's west. This used to work for him when the channels were on Optus D2, but that changed to IS19 sometime last year. I put my hand up to help him out and learn this useful skillset along the way. I feel like I'm getting there and have learned a fair bit so far, however I still find myself struggling a fair bit!

This is what his set-up looks like:

Dish: Small fixed dish, about 70cm
    LNB:
    New Decoder:

I punched in papa's home address into Dish Pointer website which spit out very useful data. I set the elevation to about 41 degrees, pointed the dish to approximately 166 East (following the superimposed line on a Dish Pointer Google satellite image) and set LNB skew to approx 25 degrees (turning LNB clockwise while standing behind the dish).

I also purchased to aid the dish pointing, programmed it to IS19 parameters, set L0 Freq to that of LNB (11300) and input 12527 H transponder frequency parameters. The same was programmed into the decoder (receiver) where I also set LNB voltage to 18 volts (for horizontal value 12527 H, thank you mtv), which powered up the Satellite Finder quite nicely. I attached a few pics to show what I did.

What's interesting is that I was able to get signal strength to 83% and quality to 19% on the Satellite finder itself, yet the signal meters/scales on the receiver showed 0% for both. Needles to say, channel scan produced no results. I should add that LNB was rotated in very small increments to fish for better signal quality however 19% was the best stable quality I could find (though sometimes it would leap to a high value like 80% and would then be immediately gone).

Is there anything I did obviously wrong here? Any tips/tricks/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Candyman; 30-04-13 at 08:32 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Many of the channels on that transponder are encrypted TVPlus channels, which you require a TVPlus decoder, smartcard and current subscription to view.

Yes, I know Lyngsat shows them as being clear, but many TVPlus channels are in fact now encrypted.

The settings from dishpointer are only approximate and you still need to make fine adjustments of dish azimuth and elevation and LNB.

What I do is 'sweep' the dish from side to side until I find the strongest signal from the desired satellite, then adjust the elevation slightly a sweep again.

Once you are very close, even just flexing the dish slightly will indicate which way to make a fine adjustment.

For IS19 from Melbourne, the F connector on the LNB should be approx at the 5 o'clock position, when viewed from the front of the dish.

Once again, this is only an approximate starting position, but you'll probably end up with the position somewhere between 5 and 6 o'clock (as viewed from the front).

Good signal strength but low signal quality is often an indication the dish and in particular, the LNB are not set correctly.

You may also need to remove the meter from the line to pass signal to the decoder.

Keep trying, as it sounds like you're quite close.

Candyman (30-04-13)

Thanks

Cheers mtv. I followed your instructions and have found good signal strength and quality (in the high 80% range). I found Prof Satellite Finder SF-500 to be invaluable in this exercise and would recommend people invest in it (only $50 from Hong Kong, similar/identical products go for about $130-$150 here).

As you pointed out, 12527 H transponder seems to have only one FTA channel, and the rest I could not view. Wonder if jastreb has found that to be the case too?!

So I switched to 12286 H transponder which has about 5 or 6 free channels. I had to re-point the dish somewhat to tune in to this transponder - is this normal?
    Last edited by Candyman; 07-05-13 at 07:58 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast