Thread: getting setanta - help a newbie!

Thanks

Default getting setanta - help a newbie!

I'm in a house, which in a previous life/tenant had austar (I think) - the satellite is on the roof, and I assume the plate /connector next to the aerial in the lounge room is for the satellite cable

As I have the dish, I'm thinking of getting setanta for a sport channel for $15 a month

What's the cheapest way I can get into this?

My limited research has discovered:
    *a receiver is required that is IRDETO complaint (correct?) and a smart card slot
    *a card from setanta which sounds like it is $30 up front, then $15 a month from then on
    *get on the roof an repoint the satellite to the Optus D2 satellite - can use a satellite pointer finder thingy from jaycar or something like that for $30

in terms of the satellite receiver, how cheap can I go? I'm seeing on ebay or ozaustions ones less than$100?

I also notice if I go with the recommendation on Setanta to use that company, they will charge $250 - $275 all up for a box and to install it - maybe should be doing this way to save some hassle?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

holmesy,

I don't have practical knowledge of setanta, but it boils down to, are you practical enough to attempt the install. The steps you laid out are correct, but involves you sourcing these items and having a go. If your that way inclined then have a go.

If you are unsure then get them to install for $250+ and watch the installers and learn. My first install was by Select and I learned heaps of the installer, since then have done quite a few more.

In any case you should read heaps of threads on this forum and start learning from others experience as you can be guranteed that its been mentioned before. Plus you pick up knowledge on the subject.

Good Luck.