Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: most efficient heater

Thanks

maybe rent something with a better heater?

Let the landlord provide it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Gee Whizz, That's called ' Geo Thermal '. Not exclusive to Europe.
    Well, almost anyway.

We can label that " a Portable Backyard ".
    Did you realy read the first post?

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Looks like you have a few more people to abuse in this thread apart from me ,since the following posts are also worthy of your attention:-

Obviously these people just failed to meet your criteria for precision.

Or maybe you just haven't had your medication today.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osiris777 View Post
    sick of the cold so i wanna invest in a heater, but i also wanna keep the cost of running it right down
    im after advice on the most efficient heater
    makes and models would be cool
    preferably an elctric heater but dosnt need to be really big as i only want it for one room to basically take the chill away.
    also something portable as im renting.
    Unfortunately as you are renting your options are limited. Electric heaters are generally expensive to run unless it is is a split system ( heating and cooling ) with an external inverter. It also depends on how much you want to spend.

As you say you only want to heat one room I would probably suggest a 11 fin oil column heater. They are slow to warm up , but should heat a room fine at not too bad a price if you use the thermostat to keep the room at a steady temperature. If the room also has the kitchen in it , use the oven to preheat the room.

I have gas ducted heating which is great because it heats the whole house at the same temperature but I am sure you dont want to donate $3k+ to your landlord to get one

Thanks

anything electric in the heating dept can be costly to run, imagine running a hairdryer to heat up your room? some of these piidly things are not much better than that. Oil radiators are good, but slow so you get no quick blast of heat. Wool is the answer, wear it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    anything electric in the heating dept can be costly to run, imagine running a hairdryer to heat up your room? some of these piidly things are not much better than that. Oil radiators are good, but slow so you get no quick blast of heat. Wool is the answer, wear it.
    Agreed, but insulation of the room is very important - as is sealing all the leaks under doors etc. It does not matter what kind of electric heater is used, for a given increase in room temperature - over time - all electric heaters have the same efficiency. Some heat faster locally but power dissipated equals heat generated no matter what heater type is used.

At home I live in trakkydaks, uggies and a winch-eater...( try to get anyone outside Oz to understand that !) and the reverse-cycle heat-pump aircon is set at 16 degrees which is plenty warm enough. I go to my sister's place to sweat - the inside air temperature is a ridiculous 26 degrees - which costs a fortune to maintain and is 5 degrees hotter than what the cooling temperature is set to in summer when the outside temperature is 40 odd....this is similar to what huge shopping mall managements do and is a terrible waste of energy (if heating was not a tax dodge they wouldn't waste so much !), people are strange animals. .

Thanks

I have the same arguement with the wife bulbous. She would rather have the air up so high in winter you can walk around in your underwear and down so low in summer you need a jumper.

I personally prefer it on 19 degrees in winter and around 20-23 in summer but that depends on how hot the house is when i walk in and how quick i want to cool it down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viper5150 View Post
    I have the same arguement with the wife bulbous. She would rather have the air up so high in winter you can walk around in your underwear and down so low in summer you need a jumper.

I personally prefer it on 19 degrees in winter and around 20-23 in summer but that depends on how hot the house is when i walk in and how quick i want to cool it down.
    Get her to pay the bill ! .

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12