Thread: Getting oztopo maps on my 62s with Mapsource

Thanks

Default Getting oztopo maps on my 62s with Mapsource

Hi I've just bought a Garmin 62s and am trying to load oztopo 2.1 contours and roads onto it.

I used to have a Garmin 60csx, which I lost, with oztopo 2.1 contours and roads loaded, which I could see on the same screen on the gps. Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it and the new unit has no documentation apart from a quick start guide.

I have Mapsource installed on a PC with oztopo 2.1 contours and roads on it. In Mapsource when I go to Utilities > Manage Map Products, I see Oztopo 2.1 Roads (Unlocked) and oztopo 2.1 Contours (Not lockable).

I tried going to Transfer > Send to device, and it said it was successful, but now when I turn on the GPS it says "Cannot Unlock Maps".
    In the Mapsource help it says I can run an "Unlock wizard" from Utilities menu, but I don't have this item on my menu.

Any clues or can someone point me to the documentation?
    Last edited by philg; 19-04-13 at 01:57 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default Re: Getting oztopo maps on my 62s with Mapsource

Download unlocked version copy to sd card.

I BLAME PREDICTIVE TEXT FOR MY SPELLING

Thanks

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. I already have the maps on my PC, apparently unlocked. I seem to recall to get them onto my 60csx I transferred via the Mapsource software, I just can't remember how I did it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean. I already have the maps on my PC, apparently unlocked. I seem to recall to get them onto my 60csx I transferred via the Mapsource software, I just can't remember how I did it.
    In MapSource, select the 'Map Tool' and select the parts of the map (tiles) that you want to transfer to your GPS. Then simply go to 'Transfer' and select 'Send to Device' then follow the prompts.

Be warned though, if you transfer directly to the GPS device you will overwrite any maps that are on there.

I'd suggest transferring the tiles you want to an SD card, then using the SD card in the device.

If you want the entire map (ie: all tiles) it might be easier to do as 'myoldhk' suggested and download the entire .img file instead of doing the transfer from MapSource.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

philg (19-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    In MapSource, select the 'Map Tool' and select the parts of the map (tiles) that you want to transfer to your GPS. Then simply go to 'Transfer' and select 'Send to Device' then follow the prompts.
    Thanks, this is what I did. I selected the 1295 maps and transferred them to the device. When it was finished it says "Cannot Unlock Maps" on the device. I'm figuring I have to do something with the ID of the new device? The maps say unlocked on the PC, but do they need to be unlocked per handheld device?

Be warned though, if you transfer directly to the GPS device you will overwrite any maps that are on there.

I'd suggest transferring the tiles you want to an SD card, then using the SD card in the device.
    Whoops damn, I guess I might have already done that. I can still see the very basic world map that I originally saw on the device. Transferring to the SD card sounds better. I've just bought 16GB one.

If you want the entire map (ie: all tiles) it might be easier to do as 'myoldhk' suggested and download the entire .img file instead of doing the transfer from MapSource.

Thanks

V2.1 will not work with with a 62s. Garmin made some changes to stop third party locked products working with 62s.

You should upgrade to V5, see

cheers
    brian