Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many types of dual (twin) LNB's exist?

Thanks

Default How many types of dual (twin) LNB's exist?

Hi, I purchased a LNB with two outputs, hoping I will be able to use a single dish and have two receivers.
    The LNB is described as "Dual Twin Double Universal Ku Band FTA LNB LNBF Dish Two Output 0.2dB"

Product Name Dual LNBF
    Material(Exterior) Plastic
    Color Beige, Orange
    Input Frequency
    10.7-11.7 GHz
    11.7-12.75 GHz
    Output Frequency
    950-1950 MHZ
    1100-2150 MHZ
    L.O.Frequency
    9.75 GHz
    10.6 GHz
    Noise 0.2dB
    Gain 65dB

I was able to get some of the channels available (I am interested in Optus D2, Freq 12734 V) when using only one of the outputs of the LNB (I had to set frequency to 10750 MHz, 22 kHz on, TP 12883MHz V)
    The other output does not appear to do anything. I've done all kind of searches, using different frequencies, transponders, orientation of the LNB, etc and there is no signal).

Are there different types of LNB with two outputs? For example, I imagine there could be different outputs available for H and V polarizations, as well as LNB that provide both polarizations on a single output nd can have two identical outputs. If such thing exists, would I have to supply with power both outputs? How can I find the model I need?
    Does the one I bought have a low frequency output and a high frequency output?

Thanks,
    Nicolae

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,079 Times in 6,766 Posts

There are several variations of dual/twin LNB's, some with identical separate outputs, eg: basically two individual LNB's in one enclosure, usually referred to as DUAL output and those, such as the type you may have, which are a single universal LNB with separate high and low LO outputs, usually know as TWIN output.

Given that the description of DUAL TWIN Output is confusing, as it's not clear exactly which type it is.

Some sellers also get the terminology mixed up.

There are also single and dual polarity LNB's too.

But rather than list them all, it's simpler to tell you what will work for you.

If you have two decoders which have a single tuner each (eg: only require one LNB connection) I recommend a 10700 Dual Polarity - Dual Output LNB.

The ones I have found to provide the best performance are Sharp, identical to what Foxtel install.

eg:

There are others available, such as Strong, Odrok, Acer which are also good.

Most Dual Polarity - Dual Output 10700 LNB's will do the job for you.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Xplorer (26-04-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Twin / Dual Output LNB for Optus Satellites.

Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    Hi, I purchased a LNB with two outputs, hoping I will be able to use a single dish and have two receivers.
    The LNB is described as "Dual Twin Double Universal Ku Band FTA LNB LNBF Dish Two Output 0.2dB"

Product Name Dual LNBF
    Material(Exterior) Plastic
    Color Beige, Orange
    Input Frequency
    10.7-11.7 GHz
    11.7-12.75 GHz
    Output Frequency
    950-1950 MHZ
    1100-2150 MHZ
    L.O.Frequency
    9.75 GHz
    10.6 GHz

Noise 0.2dB
    Gain 65dB

I was able to get some of the channels available (I am interested in Optus D2, Freq 12734 V) when using only one of the outputs of the LNB (I had to set frequency to 10750 MHz, 22 kHz on, TP 12883MHz V)
    The other output does not appear to do anything. I've done all kind of searches, using different frequencies, transponders, orientation of the LNB, etc and there is no signal).

Are there different types of LNB with two outputs? For example, I imagine there could be different outputs available for H and V polarizations, as well as LNB that provide both polarizations on a single output nd can have two identical outputs. If such thing exists, would I have to supply with power both outputs? How can I find the model I need?
    Does the one I bought have a low frequency output and a high frequency output?

Thanks,
    Nicolae
    G'Day Cobber.
    That is a Universal LNB with two separate tuning ranges selected by 22KHz on or off.
    The change over frequency is 11700. The 10750 is incorrect. Sure, you will get some transponders, but incorrect frequencies.
    For Optus Satellites, no transponders are in the lower band, so you don't need a Universal.
    You could use it, but simpler to use a Twin / Dual output 10700 LNB. Then you only need to connect one output to each decoder. That will give H/V on each, without using 22KHz. Each decoder set LO 10700 independent of each other.
    Plenty of them around quite cheap.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day Cobber.
    That is a Universal LNB with two separate tuning ranges selected by 22KHz on or off.
    The change over frequency is 11700. The 10750 is incorrect. Sure, you will get some transponders, but incorrect frequencies.
    For Optus Satellites, no transponders are in the lower band, so you don't need a Universal.
    You could use it, but simpler to use a Twin / Dual output 10700 LNB. Then you only need to connect one output to each decoder. That will give H/V on each, without using 22KHz. Each decoder set LO 10700 independent of each other.
    Plenty of them around quite cheap.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Hi "The Druid",

Thanks for explanation. If Optus D2 does not transmit in the lower band, that would explain why I could not "catch" anything on second output, which is probably the lower band.

Regards,
    Nicolae

Thanks

Thank you MTV, my decoders have a single tuner each. I will look for a 10700 Dual polarity, dual output LNB

Regards,
    Nicolae

Thanks

its a universal lnb
    which is really two lnbs in one
    most universal lnbs are rated by 2 frequencies
    one is usually 9750 the other is 10600
    to make it work on d2 you need to choose universal in the setting or if its not a choice then
    lnb lo -9750
    lnb high -10600
    and then make sure 22khz is on and that should work

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Default How many types of dual (twin) LNB's exist?

NickF,
    Your current lnb will work fine.

Just select 'universal lnb' when setting up your decoder and make sure the correct lnb lo settings are selected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    NickF,
    Your current lnb will work fine.
    Just select 'universal lnb' when setting up your decoder and make sure the correct lnb lo settings are selected.
    Slow down a bit. I want to use two receivers, each connected to a LNB output. Does each output have the capability to cover both frequency ranges?
    Unless I made some mistakes (but I tried too many times, I don't think I made any), the LNB outputs are not identical - once I had the receiver set on the desired channel, when moving the coax cable to the other LNB output, there was no signal at all - so the outputs appear different. It could be that one output is on the low frequency range, while the other is on the higher range. This would be consistent with the fact Optus D2 transmit only in high frequency range (12296 MHz to 12734 MHz), so the low frequency output will not be capable of receiving any signal.

Regards,
    Nicolae

Thanks

ok the easiest way to explain this to you is
    if you have 2 satellite boxes and you want to watch the same channels on the same decoders then both decoders have to be configured in exactly the same way
    go into the lnb setting and set the lnb to universal and should automatically fix it if you have that setting
    if you dont it will ask you for 2 or sometimes 3 settings and that will be the lo frequency the hi frequency and the the threshold
    the lo is set to 9750
    the hi is set to 10600 (not 10700 as is normal for other types of lnb)
    and threshold at 11700
    if you have to do these settings in your decoder then you will also have to make sure 22khz is *ON*
    once you have done this search the sat with blind scan or whatever and if it finds channles it is set up correctly if not then just play with the 22 khz setting and try searching each time
    once you have pics duplicate your settings on the second receiver and it will find what you are after straight away

you dont need a new lnb the one you have will work fine but a 10700 lnb will solve your troubles straight away as its made for the hobbiest and austar installer so its easy to set up and find what you want
    another problem you might have is that you may well have the right settings but have your cross poles round the wrong way but if you have blind scan it wont care and will find them anyhow but if you are manually trying to put in the frequencies just try changing the vertical to horizontal or vice versa

hope that helps

Thanks

Wink DiSEqC Universal Control of 22KHz.l

Slow down a bit. I want to use two receivers, each connected to a LNB output. Does each output have the capability to cover both frequency ranges?
    Unless I made some mistakes (but I tried too many times, I don't think I made any), the LNB outputs are not identical - once I had the receiver set on the desired channel, when moving the coax cable to the other LNB output, there was no signal at all - so the outputs appear different. It could be that one output is on the low frequency range, while the other is on the higher range. This would be consistent with the fact Optus D2 transmit only in high frequency range (12296 MHz to 12734 MHz), so the low frequency output will not be capable of receiving any signal.

Regards,
    Nicolae
    Let's find out exactly what you do have?

By your description it would appear to be this:

That is a Twin/dual polarity (H/V) Universal.
    That means two independent Universals in the one LNB.
    If so, just connect each decoder to an output
    with identical LNB Universal configuration.
    There is no need to turn the 22KHz on as they select Hi or Lo range automatically with Tone Burst, not continuance 22KHz.

If not, please give the link.

This is how it works.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

If the LNB you have purchased is identical to the one described at , it should allow you to connect two different satellite receivers and work perfectly for you. There should be no need to change it.

When entering transponder frequencies, use those published by such sites as , and others. There should be no need to alter them as the receiver takes care of that, provided the correct LNB LO (local oscillator) frequency has been selected in LNB setup.

As others have stated, in the LNB settings section of your receiver's menu, select "Universal" for the LNB type. This should match the LNB which you have described in your post.

If the "Universal" setting is not available or you continue to experience difficulty, please supply details of your satellite receiver, i.e. brand and model number, so that we can advise the appropriate LNB settings for you to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    If the LNB you have purchased is identical to the one described at , it should allow you to connect two different satellite receivers and work perfectly for you. There should be no need to change it.

When entering transponder frequencies, use those published by such sites as , and others. There should be no need to alter them as the receiver takes care of that, provided the correct LNB LO (local oscillator) frequency has been selected in LNB setup.

As others have stated, in the LNB settings section of your receiver's menu, select "Universal" for the LNB type. This should match the LNB which you have described in your post.

If the "Universal" setting is not available or you continue to experience difficulty, please supply details of your satellite receiver, i.e. brand and model number, so that we can advise the appropriate LNB settings for you to use.
    Thank you Tristen,

The LNB from ebay is the one I've got. I will try in the next days to use it again, entering the proper frequencies and report whether it worked or not.

Nicolae

• The Following User Says Thank You to NickF For This Useful Post:

tristen (25-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post

Hi Tristen and all,

I found out the description of the LNB is incorrect on ebay. Initially, I copied the specifications of the LNB as provided by the seller and he ommitted an important information from the label (and to my shame, I also didn't read carefully after I received it). The title on the label of the LNB is "KU Band Universal SINGLE LNBF", (not twin or dual). The fact there are two outputs probably means that one is for the lower frequency band, while the other is for the upper frequency band. This explains why I only had success receiving channels on only one of the outputs (since, as I said the Optus D2 satellite transmits only on the upper frequency range). I will contact the seller on ebay and I will let him know the description of the LNBs he sells is incorrect (described both TWIN and DUAL). Today I purchased a proper dual LNB (SatKing Model 3018) from Electrocraft and I set it up on both receivers in about ten minutes.

Regards,
    Nicolae
    Last edited by NickF; 04-05-13 at 04:59 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to NickF For This Useful Post:

beer4life (04-05-13)

Thanks

Wink Satking Model 3018 Twin / Dual output LNB.

Hi Tristen and all,

I found out the description of the LNB is incorrect on ebay. Initially, I copied the specifications of the LNB as provided by the seller and he ommitted an important information from the label (and to my shame, I also didn't read carefully after I received it). The title on the label of the LNB is "KU Band Universal SINGLE LNBF", (not twin or dual). The fact there are two outputs probably means that one is for the lower frequency band, while the other is for the upper frequency band. This explains why I only had success receiving channels on only one of the outputs (since, as I said the Optus D2 satellite transmits only on the upper frequency range). I will contact the seller on ebay and I will let him know the description of the LNBs he sells is incorrect (described both TWIN and DUAL). Today I purchased a proper dual LNB (SatKing Model 3018) from Electrocraft and I set it up on both receivers in about ten minutes.

Regards,
    Nicolae
    There does seem to be much confusion as to what LNB that you have.

That Cobber, is a Twin / Dual Output 10700 LNB.
    Something wrong if labled " Universal".
    Twin means two identical LNBs in the one package with switchable polarity. (Dual.)
    So each decoder can be operated independently.
    Last edited by beer4life; 04-05-13 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks

There does seem to be much confusion as to what LNB that you have.

That Cobber, is a Twin / Dual Output 10700 LNB.
    Something wrong if labled " Universal".
    Twin means two identical LNBs in the one package with switchable polarity. (Dual.)
    So each decoder can be operated independently.
    Hi Beer4life,

The LNB which you showed in the picture is NOT the LNB I asked about. This SatKing 3018 is the one I purchased today and it WORKS fine with two receivers. It was not described as universal.

The LNB which was described as "Dual Twin Double Universal Ku Band FTA LNB LNBF Dish Two Output 0.2dB" can be found on ebay (sold by digitalzone01 and the price is $12.50), link

It has a yellow cap. The description is incorrect, since one output is for lower frequency range, while the other is for the upper frequency range.

Regards,
    Nicolae
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NickF; 04-05-13 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

It has a yellow cap. The description is incorrect, since one output is for lower frequency range, while the other is for the upper frequency range.
    I think you're wrong their chief. You'll find that both bands are available on each output depending the on the LO.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 04-05-13 at 07:59 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I think you're wrong their chief. You'll find that both bands are available on each output depending the on the LO.
    Leroy
    Hi Leroy,
    I know I am not wrong, since I tried both outputs many times. One output definitely works on the upper frequency range, the other one doesn't. Now, I expect the description of the LNB from its label should provide a description without leaving room to speculation. As you can see on the image, it is a SINGLE LNB. How can a single LNB have two outputs? One explanation I have is that they use one for lower frequency band and the other for the upper frequency band. Another possibility would be that one is for the Horizontal Polarization and the other one for the Vertical Polarization (which is not, since I can receive both polarizations on the one output).

Regards,
    Nicolae

Thanks

Wink Nomenclature is the problem.

Hi Beer4life,

The LNB which you showed in the picture is NOT the LNB I asked about. This SatKing 3018 is the one I purchased today and it WORKS fine with two receivers. It was not described as universal.

The LNB which was described as "Dual Twin Double Universal Ku Band FTA LNB LNBF Dish Two Output 0.2dB" can be found on ebay (sold by digitalzone01 and the price is $12.50), link
    Regards,
    Nicolae
    As several others have noted, your original LNB would have worked fine with the correct setup on each decoder.
    As you have it working OK, it's no longer relevant.

However, allow me to point out, that on your original Twin Universal, that each output is switchable LO and HI band with the 22KHz tone and H and V polarity with the 18 / 13 Volts.
    Effectively that gives you Twin Universal LNBs with Dual outputs independent of each other in the one package.

Last edited by beer4life; 04-05-13 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks

As several others have noted, your original LNB would have worked fine with the correct setup on each decoder.
    As you have it working OK, it's no longer relevant.

However, allow me to point out, that on your original Twin Universal, that each output is switchable LO and HI band with the 22KHz tone and H and V polarity with the 18 / 13 Volts.
    Effectively that gives you Twin Universal LNBs with Dual outputs independent of each other in the one package.

Please explain the term "SINGLE" from the label of the LNB and maybe then I'll believe you. It's very easy for me to put the LNB back on the roof. I've swapped three LNB's in the last weeks for about 30 times, so one more time does not matter. I know that the 22kHz signal is used to select the upper frequency band. The voltages 18V and 13V are used to select the horizontal or vertical polarization.
    There would be only one possibility which I haven't tried today. If we assume that one output works on the lower frequency range and the other one works on the upper frequency range and if we also assume that by switching the 22kHz signal will swap the Local Oscillators and respectively the low frequency output will become high frequency output, that I haven't tried indeed (today). But if when the system is setup so that one output is working correctly, then by moving the coax cable to the other output is definitely not working. And in comparison, after I setup the SatKing LNB on one output, I was able to move the cable to the other output and have all the found channels available.

Regards,
    Nicolae
    Last edited by NickF; 04-05-13 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

ok then but I still doubt it.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast