Thread: LED's replacing rear pro lamp.

Thanks

Default LED's replacing rear pro lamp.

We spoke about this topic before the infamous crash.

I know the new rear pro TV's with LED lighting operate with reg green blue leds to create the 16.7 million colours etc.

What I would like to know is what the monitoring circuitry is watching within the globe in current sets. I.e. Current draw, Open circuits etc.

The ultimate goal would be is to replace the globe in my 52SZ8R LG DLP Rear Pro with a white light replacement when or before it reaches its 8000 hours. Its currently at 5100 hours.

krusty

Look Here ->
    Thanks

krusty, your a little confused mate.

that model DOESN'T use led LIGHTING, it still uses the high voltage vapour/arc globes, and yes they monitor both current draw and voltage (high or low) and will shut down the set if not within spec, as far as replacement globes are concerned, a globe is a globe, is a globe

they are either philips or osram and come in different reflection parabolars and watts...
    but a replacement as far as the globe concerned with an led... not that i've seen
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

At 5100 hours you are one of the lucky ones.
    Having said that I really like DLP.
    One with three DMDs and no colour wheel would be great.
    Pity the manufacturers dont see things my way
    BTW lamps are cheap compared to other things you dont have to worry about.

Thanks

Sorry im reading a bit more in your post.
    If you want to play .
    The lines to the ballast are three in an RT-44SZ21RB and the later 5 wire ballasts can be fitted as its ground, a turn on signal +5v to start the lamp and a line back to the micro to say yep im lit and alls well.
    This is the one that fails when as IWAC says its out of spec.
    I have seen crook lamps and or ballasts where the set runs with the lamp out happily, so yes you can trick the system to experiment.
    The ballast interface is with optocouplers and easy to trick it if you want to play.
    If you can create enough light of the right wavelength your cheering but I think it will be like the pot of gold.
    The manufacturers would have capitolised.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If you can create enough light of the right wavelength your cheering but I think it will be like the pot of gold.
    mate, unless you can get an LED to ignite paper at 6inches after 30 secs then it aint going to happen! the light intensity needed to light up a screen of 44" via the light tube (maybe 8mm square) is a sh*tload

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    The manufacturers would have capitolised.
    you can take that to the bank!

Thanks

I know there is no such thing out there that will replace a globe but I'm just trying to make my million dollars..

Seriously, it was more of an experiment than anything. But as you say iwacelect, my biggest concern was how to get enough light focalised on the DMD to cover my 52" screen with adequate brightness.

So overall its in the pursuit of science, not to save a quid or 2 on a globe.

Thanks

ok krusty

now you'll need enough light as you say hitting the dmd to get the screen lit, i off hand dont know how much lumens the lamps give off but its LOTS, as i posted earlier it does ignite a piece of paper at a 6" distance after 30 odd secs, alota light and heat (which you could do without, the heat i mean) but, if you could get enough light from LED's and condense it down to the size of the light tube (eg no wastage) then yup no reason why it couldn't work, but mate you'll need to know a glass blower or/and grinder (for magnifier lens) and he'll have to spend alot of time experimenting, but fundamentally, it could work..

give it a try, as oscar says all the other things eg ballast control, protection circuitry can all be by-passed, so if you can get the globe to work we'll be happy to make the unit work, thats the easy bit!