Thread: Two computers = bad 1 = good

Thanks

Question Two computers = bad 1 = good

Hey all! First time poster here in need of some newbie help

The issue: I have been online gaming for a while now perfectly fine, but recently I got a new computer to play newer games ( Old pc had pretty low performance gear) I was loving it. Then one day I realised I hadn't put my other PC back onto the network, so I did. Went back to game and suddenly i was getting MASSIVE lag. absolutely unplayable. Figured it was the game's issue, so i went to play WoW. Same issue. Uh oh. Kept trying to fiddle with stuff to no avail. Took the other PC out of the network and boom, all was fine. So I tried to do this the other way around, and put the old pc on the network, and the new one off. Worked fine. Figured it was a problem with my modem router so i went and bought a new one. This fixed nothing. Called my ISP, they have no idea whats going on, and say that it must be my end.

I have a little knowledge with computers and networks, not heaps, and clearly not enough to solve this problem. If someone could give me a hand to resolve this, I would be very happy

Also I am assuming I have posted this in the right spot in the forums xD sorry if I didn't.

Cheers

Helghan

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

The issue is that when your old PC is connected to the network, suddenly you experience significant lag when playing on you new machine, is that correct. How long since the old machine had been connected to the 'net prior to this? It could be "playing catch up" with updates etc, which will harm your playing speed whilst downloading all updates. Have you established if, when only the old machine is connected there is still lag? What security are you running? You may have an infected network which is "calling home" too.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Helghan (05-05-13)

Thanks

Thanks lsemmens for the fast reply

To clarify- I get the lag only if BOTH PC's are connected at once. I currently run malwarebytes on both machines.

The old PC was only not connected for two days

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Helghan View Post

The old PC was only not connected for two days
    two days, so you've probably missed 8 to 10 updates to acrobat reader at least :P

are you running static or dynamic IP's on your network?

is there are port forwarding required for any of the games you're playing?

sometimes if everything is setup dynamic it will map ports etc for the first machine and it will grind to halt when the second machine is looking for the same resources (I realise that's a broad statement but it can vary depending on game, hardware, your config etc)

• The Following User Says Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

Helghan (05-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    two days, so you've probably missed 8 to 10 updates to acrobat reader at least :P

are you running static or dynamic IP's on your network?

is there are port forwarding required for any of the games you're playing?

sometimes if everything is setup dynamic it will map ports etc for the first machine and it will grind to halt when the second machine is looking for the same resources (I realise that's a broad statement but it can vary depending on game, hardware, your config etc)
    I have run updates on everything I could find on both xD

Port forwarding isnt 'needed' but it helps, so I tried forwarding the ports on both PC's, to no avail

I have also ran dynamic and static IPs just incase something was going dodgy with the dynamic haha.

Thanks for the fast replies guys <3 sorry if I say something stupid, i'm tired and frustrated and not good with this stuff YET :3

Thanks

Update- When I run a speedtest, the graph kinda goes up real fast, then at some point it starts slowly dipping for a bit, then goes back up? D:

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Sounds like port or IP conflict, Are you absolutely certain that each machine has a unique IP address. I'm not a networking guru, so cannot offer too much more on that front. All of my netwrok skills have come via the school of hard knocks.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Helghan (07-05-13)

Thanks

check that both network i/o's have latest drivers unless there is any negative feed bak from other users via net then remove and reinstall network drivers see if that fixes any conflic's
    are you running any of those apps like steam etc on both trying to access same details progs?

• The Following User Says Thank You to markfs For This Useful Post:

Helghan (07-05-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by markfs View Post
    check that both network i/o's have latest drivers unless there is any negative feed bak from other users via net then remove and reinstall network drivers see if that fixes any conflic's
    are you running any of those apps like steam etc on both trying to access same details progs?

Nothing running but the necessities on both machines atm

I'll go look for that now. If interested :

Qualcomm Atheros AR8161/8165 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) one machine

the other says realtek gigabit PCIe GBE family controller.

Also yes, they are static IPs lsemmens.

Im so confused/lost it isnt even funny