Thread: Home Made Nas OS Recommendation

Thanks

Default Home Made Nas OS Recommendation

Hi there

I have just finished building a home made Nas Server so I can stream my movies over my home network.

I am running an Asus P8H77-I ITX motherboard with an I7 3770K CPU and 16GB DD3 ram and 4 hardrives which are 4TB each plus a 240GB SSD for Operating System in a Fractal Case
    I have tried Freenas and windows server 2012 but they are too much for what I wish to do .
    I am currently using windows 8 Enterprise x64 at the moment which seems to work but still feels like a pc.
    I but would really like to put something which is similar to XBMC if available as a standalone which allow me to just share my movies and software across the home network (lan) without too much configuring.

The things I would like it to be able to do are just a few simple things such as

sleep and wake
    share what I want without too much configuration (just a click or 2 if possible)
    and be small and very lightweight OS so its quick.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

thx in advance

Look Here ->
    Thanks

you have very good setup there mate, may I suggest that you have a look at the Raspberry Pi Model B , it's basically a small box(size of a cigarettes box) with HDMI and optical to your smart TV, and Ethernet to your router/switch, the box uses your TV Remote and it has XBMC interface, and it's DLNA enabled, so it will find all your shared folders, files, as well as there many futures such as movie cover, subtitles, plays web streaming and many plugins, and it can be also controlled via it's iphone/ipad apps
    to me , it was best $50 spent ever.
    cheers
    "People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made" Otto Bismark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baseel View Post
    it's basically a small box(size of a cigarettes box) with HDMI and optical to your smart TV,
    There's no optical output on the Raspberry Pi, but I think you're on the right track.

I'd be looking at Beagles new board "Beagle Bone Black". It's only $10 more, but it has 2gB onboard flash, so you don't need an additional SD card. More to the point though, it's processor runs at 1Ghz compared to 700mHz on the RPi. The extra horsepower won't go astray if you want to stream movies etc...
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

Thanks

thanks for that guys I really appreciate it. I will look into it.

thanks again.