Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Australian Standards for Open/Close Reporting

Thanks

Earthling, as you displayed the programming data i will assume that you have the software connected to the alarm system.
    If this is so then you have the ability to check the review.
    Have a look at the review and it may tell you how the system has been behaving.

It also may not. Depending on the problem, if it is network infrastructure it wont have a record of this as it does not log when the dialler is enabled unlike the concept.

You comment earlier about moving to GPRS is a very good idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    I find that there is nobody more qualified than the home or business owner to make that decision.
    With all due respect this statement couldnt be any more wrong

• The Following User Says Thank You to itscrowtime For This Useful Post:

Drift (16-05-13)

Thanks

So a person that has worked hard all their life to build a family and home is not capable of deciding what level of security they should have?

Thanks

These people are capable of making a decision yes, however I believe in most instances their decisions are misinformed through lack of factual information.

I have lost count of the amount of times I visit someone for a quote or site inspection and when they tell you what they want.
    After questioning them on why and my favourite question "What are you aiming to achieve" they very rarely get it right, merely having something in place to satisfy insurance

Thanks

This is sounding a lot like the latest "Bring your own device" craze in ICT. Why let the end user with no experience/skill in choosing a piece of consumer-grade hardware instead of the ICT department bulk buying a fleet of business-grade machines+support for the same money.

Having said that, IPAlarms' solution would be of interest for myself at home where any freak outage + alarm combination won't result in my balls getting cut off. But any internet based system is still susceptible to ISP/routing issues; more so if the data is hopping to a server on the other side of the world. So for any critical/serious environment an integrated IP-enabled reporting device with GPRS backup would be a piece of kit I'd definitely be interested in. If such a device also supported SNMP (network monitoring) protocol that would be cool too as we could then log security alarm events in to our existing ICT monitoring systems then too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    So a person that has worked hard all their life to build a family and home is not capable of deciding what level of security they should have?
    It's called informed choice. The sad reality is that the absolute majority of the the market are not informed. People may well have built a family and a home but know as much about security technology as I do about open-heart surgery. So they place their blind faith and trust in people who very often don't deserve it. At least I know the heart surgeon has a certificate and he'd be arrested for practicing otherwise. Whereas I get the feeling you'd be happy to use a heart surgeon who was a really good guy but didn't need a certificate because he was just super-awesome to work with.

Yes people are capable of choice once they've had all the options presented to them. However I promise you if you said "Would you like a monitoring centre that has been independently certified against Australian Standards, or one which refuses to" I suspect you wouldn't like the answer. And I'm guessing that's why nobody actually boasts about NOT being certified...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    But any internet based system is still susceptible to ISP/routing issues; more so if the data is hopping to a server on the other side of the world.
    We receive alarms over IP from many different countries, including Australia, into our US based servers without issues. In their infinite wisdom, the alarm industry governing bodies force those that seek to comply with standards to use fixed IP addressing. This leaves those using 'approved' solutions wide open to denial of service attacks. We use domain names instead, DNS SRV to be precise, which allows us to build a high level of redundancy into our platform.

Thanks

LOL - our posts overlapped Dan. As luck would have it, there I am 'boasting about NOT being certified'

Thanks

Again, you're talking about something altogether different. AS2201.2 has nothing. NOTHING to do with signalling standards etc.

As it happens, I agree with you about DNS versus IP addresses and the threat of not only DDoS but straightforward business continuity planning. However your criticism of graded monitoring centres, versus Back to Bodgy monitoring sheds is severely misguided.

Thanks

At last - I'm glad we agree on something. For the sake of the forum members, I think we should leave it at that. Have a great weekend on your multi-million dollar yatch ;-) I'm off down the Aussie Pub in Bangkok to watch the Rabbitoh's 'disagree' with the Tigers.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123