Thread: Setting up WAP

Thanks

Default Setting up WAP

Hopefully this is the correct place.

I have a Billion Bipac 7800nl and want to share my internet with a neighbour. What would be the easiest way to do this? The wireless signal may be a little weak. Also want them to have wireless and ethernet.
    Would it be to run cat6 from my modem/router to the neighbours house then hook that into a wireless access point?

Distance of cat6 would be 25-30m

TIA

Look Here ->
    Thanks

30 M distance should be fine for cat 6 cable , if your neighbors have a wireless router, then it's a straight forward of plugging the Ethernet cable from your Billion into their wireless router and configure the wireless security on their router and also turn DHCP off on that router, in the case of they wireless modem router, then you will need to put their modem router into AP(Access Point Mode) if that option is available on the modem router.

last word , you should be aware that sharing your internet connection this way might breach your internet providers terms and conditions.
    "People who love sausage and people who believe in justice should never watch either of them being made" Otto Bismark

• The Following User Says Thank You to baseel For This Useful Post:

MSBtv (17-05-13)

Thanks

Hey MSBtv

pretty easy to do - as you said, run the cable and set up their wireless router
    you can do it 2 ways - turn off the DHCP to their wireless router making their computers an extension to your Gateway/router,
    or leave their DHCP on, but change the router address - ie yours has a router address of 192.168.1.1, and theirs has 192.168.1.2 - this way you can log on to the router from your laptop if something goes funny

If you plan to do this your neighbour will have access to your shared drives too - so just be aware of that

make sure you secure their wifi

thats about it

goodluck

f
    有段者

• The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

MSBtv (17-05-13)

Thanks

Awesome thanks guys.

Thanks

One other thing to consider is the bandwidth allocated to you from your ISP. In my case, I have an upper limit on how much data I can download before I'm penalized. If your neighbor unintentionally hogs all the bandwith, you both will suffer with slow speeds.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Another aspect worthy of consideration is the legality of some of the stuff your neighbour might get up to. If, say, he were a terrorist and setting up some sort of terror attack, or a paedophile, the coppers would raid you and he'd get ample warning to hide his incriminating evidence. On a lesser scale, he may set up a file sharing site which is against the rules of conduct of your ISP, say. You'd get banned and he would get off with an inconvenience. If he downloaded torrents of copy protected stuff, again, you might get to "carry the can" if someone comes looking. In all cases...not good for you! It's worse than having an unsecured wireless system as he has access to your router/modem and can do with them as he pleases.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

tristen (06-07-13)