Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    single USB
    don't know of any twin USB, though there are a few twin LNB.lol

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Although it is technically possible that VAST will one day use dual polarization IMHO it is politically impossible for it to do so [or almost so]. The Feds have provided thousands and thousands of free and subsidised installations all across Australia and if polarizations changes [in a dual way] then thousands of people are going to start bitching to their local members about the outdated equipment that the feds provided. Why would the feds allow this -- they are paying for the service so I would think it likely that they have some input into the technical structure of the service.
    Transit, you may not remember the original FTA service introduced back in the 70's using the B-Mac system.
    I remember reading Australia was to lead the world in using the B-Mac system and it was 'Cutting Edge Technology' providing ABC radio and TV to Remote and Rural Australia.
    I am sure I read Korea was either using or interested in using this B-Mac system which Australia had a financial interest in but somehow it all went 'sort of sideways' and a new system was proposed to carry this service which meant the B-Mac receiver would be redundant and those wishing to access the 'New service would do so at their own cost !!!!
    I dont know if Impaja was around then or not back then.
    I read it took a lot of very loud protests before the Govt of the day agreed to compensate the users of the B-Mac system to replace their STB's which is exactly what has been done with the changeover from Aurora to VAST.
    Make no mistake that a future Government wouldnt consider doing any changes to VAST if it was presented as a 'Technical Necessity' and the user have to pay to update.
    The only part of VAST the Government is concerned with is the ABC and SBS which could be left Vertical but the rest could be 're-oriented' and its up to you, the user to update or not.
    As far as I am aware the Radio and Communications Acts clearly state that as part of your agreement to Transmit or Receive any such material, the (Licensing Authority) Government can change/alter any details and you, the user, bear the costs.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 01-06-13 at 04:51 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Imparja was on BMAC
    There has been no subsidy for Aurora users going to VAST...not for me anyhow.

Banned
    Thanks

Although it is technically possible that VAST will one day use dual polarization IMHO it is politically impossible for it to do so [or almost so]. The Feds have provided thousands and thousands of free and subsidised installations all across Australia and if polarizations changes [in a dual way] then thousands of people are going to start bitching to their local members about the outdated equipment that the feds provided. Why would the feds allow this -- they are paying for the service so I would think it likely that they have some input into the technical structure of the service.
    Would a Politician really know or care for that matter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Transit, you may not remember the original FTA service introduced back in the 70's using the B-Mac system.
    I remember reading Australia was to lead the world in using the B-Mac system and it was 'Cutting Edge Technology' providing ABC radio and TV to Remote and Rural Australia.
    I am sure I read Korea was either using or interested in using this B-Mac system which Australia had a financial interest in but somehow it all went 'sort of sideways' and a new system was proposed to carry this service which meant the B-Mac receiver would be redundant and those wishing to access the 'New service would do so at their own cost !!!!
    I dont know if Impaja was around then or not back then.
    I read it took a lot of very loud protests before the Govt of the day agreed to compensate the users of the B-Mac system to replace their STB's which is exactly what has been done with the changeover from Aurora to VAST.
    Make no mistake that a future Government wouldnt consider doing any changes to VAST if it was presented as a 'Technical Necessity' and the user have to pay to update.
    The only part of VAST the Government is concerned with is the ABC and SBS which could be left Vertical but the rest could be 're-oriented' and its up to you, the user to update or not.
    As far as I am aware the Radio and Communications Acts clearly state that as part of your agreement to Transmit or Receive any such material, the (Licensing Authority) Government can change/alter any details and you, the user, bear the costs.
    I wasn't involved with tv then so I bow to your VASTer experience. You're starting to make me think that I made the right choice when I ordered my UEC DSR 4639 with twin inputs.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Years ago you has ABC and the choice of Imparja and channel 10 Townsville. You were only allowed to watch one commercial programme, and the BMAC box itself was addressed by the broadcaster to allow one or the other commercial broadcaster. In those days it was not a problem to ring either Imparja or Townsville, and they would change your entitlement for you over the phone.
    They were the good old days.

• The Following User Says Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (02-06-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I wasn't involved with tv then so I bow to your VASTer experience. You're starting to make me think that I made the right choice when I ordered my UEC DSR 4639 with twin inputs.
    Transit, I picked up a brochure for the B-Mac system in of all places the Sydney Motor show and I think I still have it put away 'safely' somewhere.
    My interest was that I had a bad reception and being interested then in CB, it caught my attention but when I found it could cost up to $4000 just to get the ABC, I immediately put it in the 'Not Now Basket' as I could get ABC2 most of the time and it wasnt a channel I was prepared to spend that kind of money on.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Adding horizontal polarisation would only impact dual-tuner boxes and the government has not provided even one of those free or otherwise.
    It would also affect thousands of 1.5m dishes and larger out there. All are installed with single polarity prime focus lnb's. Many of the people with these dishes spent thousands of dollars for their install over 15-20 years ago and would not accept losing channels. It is political suicide for any government to be involved with overseeing a change like this. There is virtually no chance of dual polarity on VAST ever happening.

Thanks

You are all also forgetting remote re-transmission sites (with large dishes fitted with prime focus single polarity lnb's) getting their feeds from VAST now. There is just no way it will happen unless somehow there is a malfunction with Optus C1/D3 on the vertical side and the only choice is to move to Horizontal.

Thanks

Yesterday I made up a plastic cradle for a spare formatted 500 GB HDD out of the shell from a wrecked external Omega HDD. It took quite a bit of messing around drilling cutting and filing but it eventually worked like a charm. WARNING: it ended up a very snug fit so it is important to have a way of extracting it again. I made a slot in the plastic so a small metal piece with a right angle end could be inserted to pull it out again. I could have screwed on a tab but the extractor worked fine so I did not bother with that. It was important to have the HDD mounted EXACTLY in the centre so it would slot into the connectors properly. It originally seemed as it a couple of side runners might be needed but they were not necessary with the side bits of the plastic mount carefully filed back to the correct size.

Formatting it in the Humax was slow and getting it going was originally perplexing as the password was incorrectly bassumed to be 0000 like other units here. Humax in their wisdom made it 1234, something discovered by actually reading their manual - black mark to Humax on that one as no self respecting intelligent male should ever have to do that.. I had powered the unit off during all this messing about so must have inadvertently inspired a factory default so it had to be rescanned and all timers reset

And I struck another bug - reported to Humax. Three times last night our viewing of recorded files was stopped and switched to "live" viewing, something I guess was caused by timers firing. There were a lot set for ABC & SBS last night.

And I'm experimenting with macros on that > 20 second hop. Repeating it 3X -> a minute. Not perfected yet as the delays between each need finer tuning.

The Humax PVR is a good toy to play with.

POSTSCRIPT: The Humax STB is available at for $349 post free this month or the Satking for $279.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 03-06-13 at 09:21 AM.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (03-06-13),OSIRUS (03-06-13),pen48 (11-11-13),therealyuriboy (03-06-13),Tiny (03-06-13),tristen (03-06-13)

• Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678