Thread: Split system air conditioner

Thanks

Default Split system air conditioner

Hi,

I have a split system air conditioner that seems to have a seized compressor. The outdoor unit basically tries to kick over the compressor, makes an electrical humming noise then the thermal cut out kicks in shutting the compressor off. Then sits for a period then tries to kick over again, the cycle continues.

How hard are these compressors to replace in these outdoor units? From my understanding these are all soldered in.

The unit is a mistral 2kw reverse cycle unit.

What can cause these units to seize?

My mate is a fridge mechanic and he has said it is not worth getting an older unit repaired so I am thinking I may take a crack at it myself, I can't really make it any worse.

Regards

Barry

Look Here ->
    Thanks

for you to have it regass will cost a fortune and some won't do it if its been open to the air for awhile.

Thanks

Could I not get my mate to recover the gas before I open the system to replace the compressor?

Thanks

Got a quote for the compressor for that unit and it is $500. That is some how more than I payed for the air con new. I will buy a new Ac but I think I will install it myself this time because I find the price of installation unacceptable.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I dont know about the 'new' gas's used but I have seen where they are supposed to reclaim it and after doing the repairs needed, purge the system and re-gas.
    I believe that it is an offense now to just discharge some of the gas's used to the atmosphere (but how would anyone know) however some pose a danger like Ammonia that can be dangerous to breath.
    I was quoted an installation figure of 1 and a 1/2 times more than the cost of the unit and I was told it could take up to 4 hours to totally purge any air out and gas the unit.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Older domestic split and ducted A/C systems used R-22 (CHCIF2) Chlorodifluoromethane, which is an ozone depleting gas and no longer used in new systems. A system with a functioning compressor could be pumped down quite easily and the gas reclaimed off site when the unit is removed. A failed compressor means the system has to be pumped down with an external vacuum pump to reclaim the gas. There are licensing requirements for refrigerant handling and recovery. The replacement refrigerant for R-22 is R-410A (CH2F2/CHF2-CF3) Difluoromethane/Pentafluoroethane a 50/50 mix of R-32/R-125 and is ozone safe. It runs at higher pressure than R-22 and cannot be used with existing R-22 piping. Refrigeration tradesmen are licensed and should be duly rewarded for their work. DIY is probably not a great idea without help from a licensed tradesman.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (29-05-13),weirdo (28-05-13)

Thanks

Are you sure it's not something simple like a faulty Starter capacitor on the side of the motor?... The "humming" noise may be occuring because the starter cap doesn't get the motor spinning when power is applied.
    -Just a thought
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GavinSV View Post
    Are you sure it's not something simple like a faulty Starter capacitor on the side of the motor?... The "humming" noise may be occuring because the starter cap doesn't get the motor spinning when power is applied.
    -Just a thought
    I agree change the start cap first. that's what it was on my blueway split 1.5kw same symptoms as yours. the so called air con guy said it was the compressor but my electrician friend suggest I try a cap first.
    took the cap out got one from my local pump repair guy (he tested the old one first) $22 later all fixed and my unit is over 7 yrs old.