Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    No, still getting the Cannot track error all the time. Literally every day, whenever 2 programs are to be taped simultaneously. Happens even when the TV is off and we are doing something else.

Typically the program will be listed twice, both with time shown as 0 minutes.

This is beyond annoying! They need to fix the firmware asap.

Remember, this is the 2nd unit I have has that does this. The other one was installed at a separate address too. So this is not just me or my setup, this must be happening to many people.
    Yes it has been a source of continued frustration here too along with quite a few other bugs.

I've phoned them x times and have been fobbed off with the suggestion their updated firmware "is with Optus and will be released soon" several times that has been a lie.

The latest message from them is it will be released this month.

I suggest you bug them by ringing 1300 737 937 as I will again next Monday.

John
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Sunshine Coast (03-11-14)

Thanks

Default Constantly spinning HDD

Hello, my first post here.

Fired up our new 1003S/500GB last Wednesday - just about when the F/W update was released; which we downloaded following channel scanning, etc.
    So, hopefully, any problems we experience will be new ones and very few.

Our initial concern is that the internal HDD stays on 24/7 unless the unit is switched off at the wall.
    When on standby, you can hear the HDD spinning constantly with your ear close.

Is this normal?

I’m not happy about it if it is.

Humax went through a diagnostic with me but nothing changed. They have been very prompt and sent a replacement but it does the same.

I’m waiting for a return call to discuss.

In the meantime I thought I’d check with the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this HDD behaviour.

Our four terrestrial PVRs HDDs all spin down when units go to standby and only “wake up” when either switched on, or there are reserved, scheduled recordings.

Any input appreciated.

J.

Thanks

hi - are you sure it is not the small rear ported fan it has?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kendrew View Post

Fired up our new 1003S/500GB last Wednesday - just about when the F/W update was released; which we downloaded following channel scanning, etc.

Our initial concern is that the internal HDD stays on 24/7 unless the unit is switched off at the wall.

Is this normal?

Humax went through a diagnostic with me but nothing changed. They have been very prompt and sent a replacement but it does the same.

In the meantime I thought I’d check with the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this HDD behaviour.

Our four terrestrial PVRs HDDs all spin down when units go to standby and only “wake up” when either switched on, or there are reserved, scheduled recordings.

Any input appreciated.

J.
    That sounds odd - no obvious fan or HDD noise here. Maybe a silly question but you have put it in standby via the remote OFF?. Unless powered off completely (which requires a rescan) it remains warm, but quiet here.

Thanks

Is this normal?

Any input appreciated.

J.
    Just for your info the UEC DSD4639 [UEC's version of your new Humax] spins all the time. If you got the model with the HD already installed then it is probably an HD that is designed to stream media and stay on 24/7 [as it is on the UEC model].

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by user1829 View Post
    hi - are you sure it is not the small rear ported fan it has?
    Thanks for your input.

Definitely not the fan (haven't seen the blades move yet - been told it only comes on at 40 deg).

J

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    That sounds odd - no obvious fan or HDD noise here. Maybe a silly question but you have put it in standby via the remote OFF?. Unless powered off completely (which requires a rescan) it remains warm, but quiet here.
    Not a silly question - all info helps - thanks.
    Yes, the HDD still spins in standby whether by remote or by unit display panel. Only spins down when powered off.
    As you say, in standby it remains warm but we can hear the HDD spinning (whispering) - very quiet, not audible from a foot or so away.

J

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    Just for your info the UEC DSD4639 [UEC's version of your new Humax] spins all the time. If you got the model with the HD already installed then it is probably an HD that is designed to stream media and stay on 24/7 [as it is on the UEC model].
    Thank you.

Sounds a bit ominous to me. The VAST restrictions apply to all "approved" decoders and I suspect crippling maybe across the board.
    Jai from HUMAX got back to me late this afternoon - asked me to do a factory reset/HDD reformat etc.
    No difference - the HDD still spins as I describe.
    I told him of our terrestrial recorders and he said that the VAST system was vastly (pardon me) different but he wants me to phone him tomorrow with results.

If indeed the HDD spins all the time I'm really cheesed off - but not much I can do.

However, if all turns out well and I've got a lemony something that's OK.

J

Banned
    Thanks

Definitely a sh..t box if you ask me, throw them in the bin and move on.

Banned
    Thanks

Well don't know about the DSD4639 but if you have an external HDD such as a Seagate you can on a 4121 box put the drive to sleep, this has been covered before in the Vast section.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    Definitely a sh..t box if you ask me, throw them in the bin and move on.
    We would love to do that with the Freeview crap but unfortunately there is no option if you are in a remote or black spot and want to look at commercial TV - you have no alternative. Some of us have been griping to the pollies about freeview for some time now with zero response. Sadly we are stuck with it so have to live with it.

Thanks

If indeed the HDD spins all the time I'm really cheesed off - but not much I can do.

However, if all turns out well and I've got a lemony something that's OK.

J
    Not really sure there is anything to worry about if the HDD is permanently on. These are designed to last tens of thousands of hours. You could be interested in this article:

It is debatable if life is shortened by start stop compared to continuously on but regardless, if it is only spinning the wear is only on the bearings of the platter, not the read/write mechanism. Articles suggest there is no difference in life between 2.5" drives and their larger cousins. I have 6 HDDs continually spinning in a Meridian Sooloos system and they are all OK after 4 years so I respectfully suggest you really have nothing much to worry about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Not really sure there is anything to worry about if the HDD is permanently on. These are designed to last tens of thousands of hours. You could be interested in this article:

It is debatable if life is shortened by start stop compared to continuously on but regardless, if it is only spinning the wear is only on the bearings of the platter, not the read/write mechanism. Articles suggest there is no difference in life between 2.5" drives and their larger cousins. I have 6 HDDs continually spinning in a Meridian Sooloos system and they are all OK after 4 years so I respectfully suggest you really have nothing much to worry about.
    Thanks for your comments and the link to HDD life; which I quickly read through.

In my mind, it matters that the HDD is spinning 24/7. it is a mechanical mechanism which in our time is still subject to wear of moving parts and ultimate failure due to breakdown. The reports in the article on the life of HDDs imply that it’s the luck of the draw; whether your HDD, or mine, lasts a week or several years. The further logical implication is that the less time it’s working, the longer it lasts. Bearings are my main concern. Sophisticated air suspension bearings have virtually no wear but those in HDDs, for example, are sealed sintered metal to metal bearings, developed to a high art form but still ultimately finite.
    I’m not being pedantic here but I consider that all things benefit if they abide by the essence of William of Occam. If anyone reads up on him your views won’t necessarily be those of mine. Abstruse?

I resent the fact that the HDD is on 24/7 partly because it is out of my control; a further example of the obscene restrictions dictated by VAST. My experience with PVRs grew from Topfield whose initial units were much maligned - and were very capricious. I’ve been faithful over the years and now have four functioning Topfield PVRs - non Freeview - customizable by the user (TAPS) - and for the most part, very reliable.
    My recent and sudden introduction to VAST has been a traumatic experience indeed.
    An option which I have considered (which has been mentioned by a previous poster) is the use of an external HDD - which can be controlled. I must investigate its limitations.

Another reason I don’t like the always on HDD is a nebulous thing in a way. Fairly recently we’ve been educated to conserving energy. We’ve been advised to switch appliances off, rather than to standby, which logically is good and saves power - and money.
    Our home theatre, for example, when everything used to be on “standby” never needed heating in the winter - and always had its A/C zone wicked up in the summer. It has made a significant difference since we now switch most devices off; leaving on standby only those that may need to be activated because of preprogramming.

Do I infer from your previous response that now you believe your HDD is on 24/7? Otherwise if yours is not, and mine is, then that is something else.
    Jai, at Humax is still to give me his final verdict. This morning he advised me there had been another F/W update released and asked that I wait until after that has been installed - and then report back to him.
    During our discussions, he did mention that there is no relevant power saving mode option.
    Tonight I switched on the 1003S from the wall socket but I did not see any option to download any update.
    Must do more checking tomorrow. In the meantime, it’s switched off at the wall - again.

Regards, and thanks again for your thoughts.

J

Thanks

btw - mine is constantly spinning too - but never noticed as we always turn entire AV system off at the wall.

Thanks

Thanks ...

Another reason I don’t like the always on HDD is a nebulous thing in a way. Fairly recently we’ve been educated to conserving energy. We’ve been advised to switch appliances off, rather than to standby, which logically is good and saves power - and money.
    Our home theatre, for example, when everything used to be on “standby” never needed heating in the winter - and always had its A/C zone wicked up in the summer. It has made a significant difference since we now switch most devices off; leaving on standby only those that may need to be activated because of preprogramming.

J
    It's not just the HDD that is always on -- the whole unit is always on in standby except for image and sound output. The unit will draw the same amount of power [almost] whether it is on or on standby. One of those crazy design specs. I don't know how much the Humax uses but I would guess between 10 to 15 watts which is significant when on 24/7. Turn it off at the power point when not using.

You haven't made it clear whether the Humax bloke reckons that it should wind down or not.
    Last edited by transit; 20-11-14 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks

I don't know how much the Humax uses but I would guess between 10 to 15 watts which is significant when on 24/7.
    yeah, it chews juice!

I think it was closer to 25-30W in "standby" when I tested it...

here is a :

Humax have done their research, understanding that the majority of VAST customers are in remote areas; they have designed and produced a rugged power supply, built for the long haul.

Thanks

Interesting responses.

user1829 - thanks for the info. Seems likely they all spin while on standby.

transit - the standby power use is significant, appreciate the info. An early post in this topic reports standby consumption is over 12W as against the claimed figure of 0.5W. This suggests to me that the 0.5W may be for the basic 1003S without the internal HDD cartridge. If that is so then the extra standby wattage with HDD is something to be bothered about. And I agree - unless something changes my mind - I’ll be switching it off at the wall when it’s not needed.

Humax have not made it clear to me that the HDD is “on” full time, as yet. However it seems odd that they sent a replacement HDD cartridge after I reported the constant spinning of the original. Surely it is unlikely - but perhaps they were not aware? After I contacted them that the replacement still spun on standby, they suggested the factory reset/HDD reformat. Afterwards, I advised Humax the HDD was still spinning on standby and was asked to wait until the new (newer - released yesterday?) F/W update was installed - and then report back as to the HDD behaviour - ? ?

However I haven’t seen any signs of the newer F/W update so I need to get in touch again.

Anyone else updated last week’s update?

J

Thanks

Interesting responses.

user1829 - thanks for the info. Seems likely they all spin while on standby.

transit - the standby power use is significant, appreciate the info. An early post in this topic reports standby consumption is over 12W as against the claimed figure of 0.5W. This suggests to me that the 0.5W may be for the basic 1003S without the internal HDD cartridge. If that is so then the extra standby wattage with HDD is something to be bothered about. And I agree - unless something changes my mind - I’ll be switching it off at the wall when it’s not needed.

J
    The HDD use only a couple of watts at the most I think -- the basic unit was never 0.5W. Most of the power use is through the reception/decoding etc and the powering of the LNB. They want this all powered all the time so that it can receive the relevant decoding updates I reckon. If it's not on all the time like this then after some time [a few days or a week or so perhaps] then when you turn it back on you won't be able to receive until you have received the correct codes which could take a few hours or instantly almost if you do a rehit. By leaving it powered all the time they are trying to give you the same experience as a terrestrial receiver ie turn on the tv and watch it straight away.

Yes, I got the impression that Humax didn't seem to know if it's meant to be spinning all the time or not -- pretty poor. I'm guessing that it's meant to run all the time and if some people say that their's spins down then perhaps they aren't listening closely enough.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

kendrew (20-11-14),Tiny (20-11-14)

Thanks

Exclamation

Finally!

I have been discussing with Humax (Jai, et al) this afternoon.

The main issues are cleared up - now - I think!

There has been some considerable communication (language) problem over the last few days; with consequent misinformation due to misinterpretation. Today I've had to painstakingly go over areas of confusion several times in order to rectify misconceptions - absolutely - on both sides - and some reeducation at the other end. It was difficult to get the "YES" answer to a question at times. I was asked at one point why I wanted to know these things? They weren't being rude. It was accepted that I required to be certain of details in order to be satisfied.

YES. All units internal HDDs do spin continuously when the 1003S is on and on standby. A VAST thing.

NO. There has been only the ONE recent F/W update - and that was last Wednesday, 12 November, 2014.

Why was I told there was another update? - released yesterday? I had taken their words literally. Today, I had to firmly establish the correct answers to my questions.

Why did I get a replacement HDD? To be on the safe side - due to my description of "hearing" it spinning continuously; just in case it was faulty! It was deemed to be an HDD not supported by Humax! It appears that someone at Humax was not aware the HDD could be heard and therefore shouldn't be spinning all the time - when on standby.

Why was I asked to do a factory reset/reformat HDD? Because I kept on stating the HDD as continually spinning even when on standby.

Altogether a real mare's nest.

One can almost liken this debacle to the "Curate's Egg".

My regrets to any readers who feel this has been an assault upon their senses.

J

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kendrew For This Useful Post:

maudandken (20-11-14),Tiny (20-11-14)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I do hopefully believe you have finally got it, well done.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast