Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

Thanks

Default HDD on 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by kendrew View Post
    Thanks for your comments and the link to HDD life; which I quickly read through.

In my mind, it matters that the HDD is spinning 24/7. it is a mechanical mechanism which in our time is still subject to wear of moving parts and ultimate failure due to breakdown. The reports in the article on the life of HDDs imply that it’s the luck of the draw; whether your HDD, or mine, lasts a week or several years. The further logical implication is that the less time it’s working, the longer it lasts. Bearings are my main concern. Sophisticated air suspension bearings have virtually no wear but those in HDDs, for example, are sealed sintered metal to metal bearings, developed to a high art form but still ultimately finite.
    I’m not being pedantic here but I consider that all things benefit if they abide by the essence of William of Occam. If anyone reads up on him your views won’t necessarily be those of mine. Abstruse?

I resent the fact that the HDD is on 24/7 partly because it is out of my control; a further example of the obscene restrictions dictated by VAST. My experience with PVRs grew from Topfield whose initial units were much maligned - and were very capricious. I’ve been faithful over the years and now have four functioning Topfield PVRs - non Freeview - customizable by the user (TAPS) - and for the most part, very reliable.
    My recent and sudden introduction to VAST has been a traumatic experience indeed.
    An option which I have considered (which has been mentioned by a previous poster) is the use of an external HDD - which can be controlled. I must investigate its limitations.

Another reason I don’t like the always on HDD is a nebulous thing in a way. Fairly recently we’ve been educated to conserving energy. We’ve been advised to switch appliances off, rather than to standby, which logically is good and saves power - and money.
    Our home theatre, for example, when everything used to be on “standby” never needed heating in the winter - and always had its A/C zone wicked up in the summer. It has made a significant difference since we now switch most devices off; leaving on standby only those that may need to be activated because of preprogramming.

Do I infer from your previous response that now you believe your HDD is on 24/7? Otherwise if yours is not, and mine is, then that is something else.
    Jai, at Humax is still to give me his final verdict. This morning he advised me there had been another F/W update released and asked that I wait until after that has been installed - and then report back to him.
    During our discussions, he did mention that there is no relevant power saving mode option.
    Tonight I switched on the 1003S from the wall socket but I did not see any option to download any update.
    Must do more checking tomorrow. In the meantime, it’s switched off at the wall - again.

Regards, and thanks again for your thoughts.

J
    I'm really unaware of any HDD noise so cannot confirm if our units are on 24/7 or not. Powering off might solve that problem but means no recording is possible and you have to wait for a rescan each time it is powered back on.

Feeling a lack of control can be frustrating when such control is usually possible with processor controlled gear but there appears no option with the rotten Freeview restrictions which are intent on making various options like skip and copy near impossible.

That said I'm curious why you are venturing into VAST at all when you apparently have Topfields working well for you. Unreliable terrestrial reception in the summer months drove me to it. Otherwise I'd far prefer recordings on the terrestrial MAGIC which has the best skip functions of any PVR ever used here. I persisted with Topfields for a few years but eventually gave up because of reliability problems.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    and you have to wait for a rescan each time it is powered back on.
    for me - 'power-on' rescan only occurs occasionally, every 3-5 days and only takes about 1-3 mins...

Thanks

Angry Recording fails when playback of previously recorded media commences

Have had our humax box for nearly a year and and it was working most of the time until four or five weeks ago.
    Our new problem is that if we commence watching a previously recorded show whilst a recording is in process, the recording stops. Interestingly the red light on the front of the box doesn't go off until after the scheduled recording time has elapsed. This is when recording on only one channel at a time, and is happening with shows recorded on 10 and 7 so far. Recordings are set up a few days in advance via the Epg, and I've checked that the times are correct. The whole show should be there, but it stops at the point that we press play from the media menu. Can browse the menu without causing any disruption.
    Got the firmware update last week, has not solved the problem.
    Any help appreciated, it defeats the purpose of recording if we can't watch anything in its entirety!!

Thanks

Have had our humax box for nearly a year
    Then it's still under warranty. Take it back asap

Thanks

Default Why VAST?

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    I'm really unaware of any HDD noise so cannot confirm if our units are on 24/7 or not. Powering off might solve that problem but means no recording is possible and you have to wait for a rescan each time it is powered back on.

Feeling a lack of control can be frustrating when such control is usually possible with processor controlled gear but there appears no option with the rotten Freeview restrictions which are intent on making various options like skip and copy near impossible.

That said I'm curious why you are venturing into VAST at all when you apparently have Topfields working well for you. Unreliable terrestrial reception in the summer months drove me to it. Otherwise I'd far prefer recordings on the terrestrial MAGIC which has the best skip functions of any PVR ever used here. I persisted with Topfields for a few years but eventually gave up because of reliability problems.

Assuming I’ve got the story straight - unravelled from Humax - all the HDR-1003Ss internal HDDs run 24/7; while powered on and on standby.
    At present I’m only switching ours on for an hour or two every now and then but switch off at the wall over night. No recording of course, besides I haven’t got my head around the procedure properly yet. Or all of the VAST “inhibitions”.
    Which leads me to assuage your curiosity.
    You mention you’ve only got VAST due to recent unreliable terrestrial reception?
    Well we’re in the same situation as of the recent and latest “restack” of the terrestrial services at our nearest transmitter.
    Before digital terrestrial FTA came to our area, we had satellite TV since the ‘80s. First with the B-MAC system and only receiving ABC and Imparja - then 7central - and I remember, with disgust, having to lobby for months (with many others) before we were allowed to watch SBS.
    We got adventurous and assembled a 5 metre motorised dish and picked up lots of international channels and languages - but also some English language TV services which then put us in front of the majority - for a while. We had to subscribe “offshore” to get that.
    Then Aurora arrived so we dispensed with the big dish.
    Then digital terrestrial came along - and subsequently the extra channels - and so we retired the satellite TV altogether.
    Our reception was “fortuitous” but mostly very consistent quality rarely with any breakup and pixellation. We live in a rural area, in a sort of direct line of sight, but with a couple of peaky ridges in the way.
    However, since the restack, our reception has deteriorated. In bad weather we might lose “signal” all together - for a short time, or for a couple of hours - and on one occasion for a couple of days of no signal, breakup, etc.
    That was enough for me. No one in the “know” - knew anything - would not admit any problem due to restack (one technician mentioned a rumour of having moved to another transmitting tower).
    I note you consider your terrestrial reception may be suffering due to Climate Change? I don’t think ours is - but?

Our reception has hardly missed a beat for the last couple of weeks but better be sure than sorry.

So I investigated VAST - and decided on it - at least as a backup when the terrestrial gives up the “ghost”. At first we weren’t allowed because according to “them”, we ought to be getting good terrestrial signals. So I told them that we’d had Aurora and that therefore we were entitled to transfer over unconditionally. I flashed the three smartcards and all went well.
    Took me several weeks to refurbish our 2.1m solid, prime focus dish (hadn’t realised how much it had deteriorated over the years). Got a new LNB, machined up a modified feedhorn, checked the buried cable - and got a signal strength of 85% and quality 100%. (Without having to repoint the dish!)
    And decided to get the Humax PVR over the UEC ! ! !

Obviously I’m exasperated with the Freeview shackling policies and I’m slowly learning about the Humax to see what it will do, what it should do and what it can do.

I found I sometimes had a situation where I couldn’t switch it to standby via the remote. Took me a while to work out I had to select “PVR” - and then the remote would switch it off (and on). But it won’t when the unit is switched to “TV”.
    Is that me or is it an across the board thing?

J

• The Following User Says Thank You to kendrew For This Useful Post:

silverbak (29-04-16)

Thanks

Kendrew, your situation is very similar to ours reception wise. We have wasted hundreds of dollars on all sorts of aerials and installers but now have someone who is proficient and very reasonable with his charges but has been unable to make terrestrial reliable. As with you, our final option was VAST. I'm no climate change fanatic but have observed the length of time in the warmer months when terrestrial reception pixelates has increased lately. I'm guessing the recent warmer weather alters the refracted signal making reception sloppy with a hill behind the house shadowing the transmission.

The Humax VAST PVR has been frustrating and I'm not sure all problems have been ironed out. Last week I again got two zero recordings which should have been OK. I'm not sure what is going on but suspect it could be linked to the conflict warning that occurs when one inadvertently tries to record 3 transmissions at the one time. That situation did come up so I moved one setting on the ABC to WA rather than locally to avoid the conflict. But it looks like the settings were jinxed so the recordings failed. I'll try to replicate the situation and pass the findings on to Jay.

Some time ago I did briefly try out a Humax terrestrial PVR and it was a delight to use (no Freeview) but had to sell it as the tuner did not handle the weak signal well enough. That is what led me so enthusiastically into the VAST Humax in the first place and forced me, kicking and screaming into Freeview. But I also have an UntraPlus 9000 and a Vu+Solo 2 recording the ABC & SBS off Optus D1 and both these PVRs have skip functions, those options on the Vu+ being brilliant. But neither are perfect. The Ultraplus freezes at times during file selection and has to be powered off to recover and not all the Vu+ functions are user friendly. Such is life, no perfection, except perhaps a few of us who lurk here?

Thanks

Last week I again got two zero recordings which should have been OK.
    I got one when I was not watching the TV. I think it was trying to record on 2 channels simultaneously, but that is what it does without a problem usually. In the past, I got "Cannot track" zero length recordings even when only one channel was being recorded and the unit was not being used to watch another channel.

The ONLY way to make sure you do not get cannot track errors is to manual start the recording on each program you want recorded. Playing with start/stop times on the epg does NOT work
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 23-11-14 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks

Maybe one of these would clear up the terrestrial issue ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    still looks like it would rely on LoS?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    Sigh, if only. Thanks for the suggestion - appreciated, but I'm afraid terrestrial reception here is so unreliable (as verified by several installers with meters) that it would be an expensive gamble to import one of those. Also, we have had the house rewired for VAST at 5 points now with aerial reception only left at 3 so we have made the commitment to satellite and to Humax PVRs. The MAGIC is the only terrestrial PVR left in the house and is presently not being used in the main A/V system and possibly will not be used again until April or May when reception settles down.

Thanks

Default Unsolicited Channel Rescan

As I’ve mentioned before, I switch off the unit at the wall socket at the end of use - unless a recording is scheduled.

Last night I switched on (at the wall) and on the TV screen I saw that all TV channels were being scanned in ! ! First time that's happened since installation.

Was there some official update to channel arrangement which was applied to our unit upon switch-on? Or did it have anything to do with the fact we keep switching off at the wall when not being used ?

I'm only using the 1003S at a fairly basic level so far but I'm quite happy with the way it records - and, importantly, it seems to handle my button typos with aplomb and no haemorrhage, thus far.

And I'm getting used to those two very important buttons when viewing recordings.

J

Thanks

All units are required by spec to rescan every power-up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    All units are required by spec to rescan every power-up.
    my 1003S rescans every 4-7 power cycles?

certainly not every power-up...

Thanks

Default Rescanning & standby

Quote Originally Posted by kendrew View Post
    As I’ve mentioned before, I switch off the unit at the wall socket at the end of use - unless a recording is scheduled.

Last night I switched on (at the wall) and on the TV screen I saw that all TV channels were being scanned in ! ! First time that's happened since installation.

Was there some official update to channel arrangement which was applied to our unit upon switch-on? Or did it have anything to do with the fact we keep switching off at the wall when not being used ?

I'm only using the 1003S at a fairly basic level so far but I'm quite happy with the way it records - and, importantly, it seems to handle my button typos with aplomb and no haemorrhage, thus far.

And I'm getting used to those two very important buttons when viewing recordings.

J
    Yes it happens every time to all VAST units. We leave them all here on standby so it normally is not a bother.

You raise the issue as to whether or not it is long term a good idea to pay for the small power usage if left on standby or to save a few cents with a complete power off each time. My take is that a complete power on stresses out components more than just taking them out of standby so that is a reason for not powering off completely each time. But for low power items like a PVR that might not be an important issue and could vary from item to item. However it is a more important issue for power amps but that is beyond discussion here.

Thanks

Thanks for your responses.

The rescan I reported was the first since the unit was installed - on Wednesday, 12 November, '14.

I haven't missed a rescan event because I have always watched its behaviour on screen after each switch-on. And it gets switched on every night even though we've been able to watch local digital for most of the time.

As this was the first time, I had to enquire as to any others experiences. Oddly, it appears it is not consistent across the users.

Yes, Tassie Devil, I'm almost worn down to the stage of leaving it on standby - but not quite. It goes against my grain to have aspects of control taken out of my hands.

J.

Thanks

Power consumption on standby is under 0.5W

So if you are paying, say, 27c/kWh (as here in QLD), it will cost you $1.18 per year to run it (9.7c a month).

Incidentally, if you want an electronic copy of the User Manual, download it here:
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 17-12-14 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    Power consumption on standby is under 0.5W

So if you are paying, say, 27c/kWh (as here in QLD), it will cost you $1.18 per year to run it (9.7c a month).

Incidentally, if you want an electronic copy of the User Manual, download it here:
    That document is incorrect. It would be impossible to keep the LNB and most of the electronics powered up with only 0.5W which is a design requirement. Others on this forum have actually measured the amount theses units use on standby and found it to be above 10W [I can't remember exactly how much].

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    That document is incorrect. It would be impossible to keep the LNB and most of the electronics powered up with only 0.5W which is a design requirement. Others on this forum have actually measured the amount theses units use on standby and found it to be above 10W [I can't remember exactly how much].
    Now that you say that, I've attached a wattage meter to the unit and it's reading about 16W on standby.

So, based on actual consumption (seems you cannot trust Humax literature!) and using 27c/kWh:

Daily cost 10c
    Monthly cost $3.09
    Annual cost $37.84

Work out the cost based on your own tariff here
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 17-12-14 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks

Still getting 0 length recordings ("cannot track"), without getting conflicts beforehand.

This problem is a little better than it was before the firmware upgrade, but not fixed yet by any means.

Thanks

Default Handshake problems? Or?

Well, folks, against my better judgement, I’ve succumbed. I now leave the 1003S on (standby) 24/7. Couple of obvious reasons like recording preprogrammed shows late at night - or the early hours to catch up on a missed show from WA (very handy that).
    Mainly though, at first, I began to leave it on (standby) because when I switched on from “OFF” and it went through the motions I began to notice frequent momentary screen blackouts during the startup before the picture stabilised. I didn’t like that very much.
    However, now, even from standby, I see that the picture still blacks out a couple of times - or so - before stabilising. Familiarity makes one aware of behaviour patterns.
    Then the other day, there was a short power glitch and the TV screen repeatedly blacked out, continuously, every couple of seconds.
    I tried all the usual diagnostics including changing the HDMI cable to the AV receiver, changing HDMI inputs, switching off - and on - but it kept happening.
    I switched off at the wall and we retired to bed.

Switched on the following day and after the usual preliminaries and a few blackouts, the picture stabilized - and has done the same short blackout sequence ever since, from standby. (Have changed to a high-speed HDMI cable - no difference.)

Had anyone else experienced this?

I’m not really up on HDMI “handshakes”. We’ve never had any bother with our other HDMI connected components such as three Topfield PVRs, Oppo BD player. Once they are enabled they come up without any picture glitches whatsoever.

Could the 1003S have an HDMI “handshake” issue? I’ve read that some people have horrendous experiences with various setups and have to resort to component video/digital audio connections; that’s really frustrating.

I’ve got a sort of niggling premonition that whatever it is, with the 1003S, it could be a precursor to something worse.

Any thoughts?

• Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast