Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

Thanks

The plot thickens, I switched on this evening and now have "Smart Card Failure" E06-4 on screen and nothing else. Just trying factory default re boot and cleaned card contacts. But coming up "no channels stored". Oh dear it may have died !!

Thanks

Think I've cracked it, took out smart card and cleaned the contact area with purple polish then cleaned the contacts best i could in the slot with a bit of cloth on a stick (very carefully) then re inserted card and away it went !
    Now it boots up as normal, must have been a poor contact on the smart card causing the problem from day one, hopefully anyway.

Thanks

As a final follow up to this, since my last post the Humax has worked impeccably again no hiccups, reboots etc. all fine, so obviously dirty card contacts can cause some strange effects I was experiencing.

• The Following User Says Thank You to banjo For This Useful Post:

Tiny (22-08-15)

Thanks

Thanks for posting back about this - it is a problem I have never encountered but might in the future so good to plug into the memory bank.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Horrendous HDMI handshake issues lately - an update.

Hello again,

Some of you may recall my earlier posts (starting # 240) about our initial experience with HDMI handshake problems (assumed) between the Humax, to AV receiver, to TV.

Since then we’ve been living with the TV picture on/off/on upon initial switch-on; with the occasional sequence of repeated blackouts, nonstop, requiring switch-off and leaving until the following day.
    Lately, for the last week or so, the problem has manifested itself to an almost continuous on/off/on/off - frequently - every few days or so.

I phoned Humax, who say it must be an incompatibility within the AV receiver? ? ? ?
    Why, I ask, and why has it worsened over time?
    No problems with any other HDMI connected sources.
    I’ve switched to all HDMI AV inputs, interchanged HDMI cables - the works.

Did a factory reset, etc., no difference.

I was supposed to get a call from Humax the following day - but didn’t happen.

I connected via component video (no flicking on/off) but the loss in PQ was too much.

Finally, I have now connected the Humax HDMI directly to the TV via a spare HDMI AV input and optical audio from Humax to AV receiver.
    No picture problems anymore but have sacrificed AV receiver OSD. A nuisance but at least no picture drama.

It’s the little things which can become big things.

J

Thanks

Unfortunately I fear Humax is correct - it is a handshaking problem with your A/V receiver.

If it is any consolation I'm having similar problems with my JVC projector. The handshake between recorder, A/V processor/preamp & projector sometimes breaks down because the A/V unit does not always handshake properly. And it can occur with any of the 4 connected recorders, usually when changing from one yo another. The projector has been examined by technicians and they cannot fault it or replicate the problem at their workshop although it was observed here. I just have to live with it. Curse HDMI.

What is it about the OSD display are you missing? I would have thought you have found a good solution.

Thanks

Default The Handshake

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Unfortunately I fear Humax is correct - it is a handshaking problem with your A/V receiver.

If it is any consolation I'm having similar problems with my JVC projector. The handshake between recorder, A/V processor/preamp & projector sometimes breaks down because the A/V unit does not always handshake properly. And it can occur with any of the 4 connected recorders, usually when changing from one yo another. The projector has been examined by technicians and they cannot fault it or replicate the problem at their workshop although it was observed here. I just have to live with it. Curse HDMI.

What is it about the OSD display are you missing? I would have thought you have found a good solution.
    ----------------------------
    Well, TD, I prefer to say it is a handshaking problem with the Humax, (even though it functions OK direct to the TV - ). After all there’s no bother with any of our other HDMI connected sources.

Having an array of sources, it’s very convenient to have the benefit of the AV receiver’s On Screen Display available on the TV when each one is selected. It makes for very quick and viewable assessment of any necessary changes to parameters, generally on a temporary basis depending on programming content; whether it be audio or video. Now that the Humax bypasses the receiver’s video circuitry, adjustments are available, minimally, only on the receiver's display panel. You can imagine how frustrating it is to lose this very useful feature; from my point of view anyway.

Some time ago I bemoaned the fact that the Humax didn't appear to be equipped with programmable remote control codes - because I was considering daisy chaining a couple of units. I happened to mention this recently to Jai, at Humax, who proceeded to inform me that the HDR-1003S does indeed have this facility - good news?

J

Thanks

I have just purchased and set up a Humax HDR-1003S, running the latest firmware, 9/14. I have read through all the posts to this page and find that some problems that existed in the beginning have yet to be resolved.

Trying to record series still does not work. It probably never will as it is most likely due to the EPG rather than the PVR. As I am unable to record a series, I set the record for daily or weekly as the case may be. Unfortunately, when I do this the timer padding is no longer applied to the recordings. It is easy enough to add another ten minutes to the end of the recording but if you set the timer to start a few minutes early, you end up with the wrong program tag.

One tuner has a signal of only 50 to 70% compared to the other of 100%. Tuner 2 signal strength appears to be slightly influenced by the channel selected. This is not presenting as a problem for me, just an observation. Maybe in high winds or heavy rain it will become an issue.

Something interesting, I am in SA and have found that Networks 7 and 10 share the same transponder. This means that I can have two programs being recorded on these two networks and still have access to every other station from the other networks. Took a while to work out as I kept getting different results when I tried recording two programs at the same time.

Now something that has not been mentioned, the back button. When watching a program, this button should take you back to the previous channel, good for switching between programs, particularly when adds come on. The button does not work as advertised. it does bring you back to previous screens when looking at menus and the like but it does not switch between channels.
    Last edited by EKGEKH; 12-10-15 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks

Default Oddities with PVRs

Quote Originally Posted by EKGEKH View Post
    I have just purchased and set up a Humax HDR-1003S, running the latest firmware, 9/14. I have read through all the posts to this page and find that some problems that existed in the beginning have yet to be resolved.

Trying to record series still does not work. It probably never will as it is most likely due to the EPG rather than the PVR. As I am unable to record a series, I set the record for daily or weekly as the case may be. Unfortunately, when I do this the timer padding is no longer applied to the recordings. It is easy enough to add another ten minutes to the end of the recording but if you set the timer to start a few minutes early, you end up with the wrong program tag.

One tuner has a signal of only 50 to 70% compared to the other of 100%. Tuner 2 signal strength appears to be slightly influenced by the channel selected. This is not presenting as a problem for me, just an observation. Maybe in high winds or heavy rain it will become an issue.

Something interesting, I am in SA and have found that Networks 7 and 10 share the same transponder. This means that I can have two programs being recorded on these two networks and still have access to every other station from the other networks. Took a while to work out as I kept getting different results when I tried recording two programs at the same time.

Now something that has not been mentioned, the back button. When watching a program, this button should take you back to the previous channel, good for switching between programs, particularly when adds come on. The button does not work as advertised. it does bring you back to previous screens when looking at menus and the like but it does not switch between channels.
    Some of the incidents you describe about the Humax are common to many PVRs. Padding to catch the end of the program is impossible with some recorders because it causes conflicts if you are trying to record two consecutive listings. Setting the Humax to record all of a "series" can be annoying because it records repeats of the same program - not the fault of the Humax as it is only responding to programming codes transmitted by the broadcasters.

I have 4 PVRs in the system here, 3 of them satellite units and none are above criticism. The nicest ergonomically is the terrestrial MAGIC, sadly no longer in production, but it is useless for these 6 months when we become a black spot for terrestrial reception. Of the 3 satellite PVRs the Humax is used least because of the lack of a good jump function (the hopping schedule invoked with a programmable remote is only partially successful) but is otherwise not too bad. At least it offers a way of viewing commercial channels. But we mostly view SBS and some ABC (whose programs have deteriorated in recent years IMHO) so the other two satellite PVRs use the Optus D1 satellite to record their fare. In some respects the Humax is better than the other two except for that missing skip function and we have 3 other Humax PVRs in other rooms.

Thanks

That's what brick walls are for. I've now cc'd my Local Member with my complaint about the Freeview restrictions but I don't really hold out much hope. If a few hundred people wrote, it might just change though.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I rarely record but each time I have using a Strong STB, I choose the EPG to set the recording but in each case, the Tag has been for the program preceding the one I want to record.
    At a guess here is the 'recorder' starts a few seconds early, like the EPG says the program is due to start at 12 Noon so it 'turns on at 11.59.30 as a buffer to be ready and picks up the still relevant Tag from the previous program.
    Another problem of course is if a program runs 'overtime' and you loose the end of it which is very annoying.
    This problem should never happen to a prerecorded show because the channel knows (or should) its 'running time' but anything 'LIVE' is a different matter.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Woops. wrong thread. My post about brick walls belongs somewhere else which is why it makes no sense here.

Thanks

Been traveling interstate recently in the van and changed from my normal WA bouquet to SA no problems, then to Vic (same bouquet, different times due to daylight savings)
    On way back into SA so did a reboot to just adjust times on stb to local, and gets a pop up telling me I have to do a reformat on HD to continue. WTF !!

I ignored this and finished off the reboot and set new time zone ok but then could not access my recordings on HD or record anything !
    Did another reboot, same pop up, so no option than to reformat and yes lost the bloody lot of my recordings as expected.

Didn't really have any other option as it just would not work without this.
    All working fine now and records and replays fine but really annoyed that I had this glitch as I've done heaps of reboots before and never lost anything or seen the HD reformat pop up.
    Any ideas ? maybe the HD is acting up or has damaged tracks ?

Thanks

Default Humax 1003S Recording Problems

My Humax box is 10 months old, but I have been in email & phone contact with Jay at Humax since the box was 1 month old. Originally, we had a non genuine HD in the box, which Jay said was our problem. He generously sent me out a genuine HD at no cost, and asked us to do a reformat of both the HD and the box. After doing everything Jay said, we still have the recording issues.
    We cannot start to watch a show that is recording, as it stops recording the show from when we start to watch it.
    If I have the news recording, and I go to my programs on the hard drive to start to watch the news before it has finished recording, the news gets cut off at the time we start to watch it on the hard drive. I have marked the time when we start to watch the news, and every time it stops, its at the timed spot.
    I dealt with this issue by just not watching anything that was being recorded until it had finished being recorded.

But now, we have this new issue, which maybe I just unluckily stumbled upon.

When the box is recording in standby mode (red light) and we turn the box on to watch TV, if the TV comes on to the same channel that the box is recording, it stops recording. But the funny thing is, the red light was still showing, right up until the program was supposed to be recorded.
    What happend to us was the box was recording Home & Away on channel 7 in standby mode, I turned the box on to watch TV and it came onto Home & Away. I thought nothing of it and changed the channel, as I didn't want to watch what I was recording. The red light on the box indicated the program was still being recorded. Later, when I went to watch the Home & Away recording, only 12 minutes was recorded of a 60 minute show.

I simulated this situation again myself, and the recording stopped again when I turned the TV on to the same channel as what was recording. There definitely is a problem with my Humax box, and considering what has occurred in the past, with my recording problems that Jay told me was a hard drive problem, which now might be a firmware problem, I think I need this box replaced.

Our previous box was an Altec single tuner, which was a bit clunky, but did the job. We bought this Humax dual tuner, at the time the reviews said it was the best on the market. I'm regretting this purchase now, and as one previous post said "better the devil you know" maybe we should have stayed with what we knew!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsy63 View Post
    There definitely is a problem with my Humax box, and considering what has occurred in the past, with my recording problems that Jay told me was a hard drive problem, which now might be a firmware problem, I think I need this box replaced.
    So does the box have the latest firmware installed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    So does the box have the latest firmware installed?
    Yes MTV, it does. The last one we received was back in Sept 2014, nothing since then.

Thanks

Hi,
    I just bought a Humax-1003S and I'm getting the same issue as a number of people have reported - the volume bar zooms up to 10 ( or sometimes down to zero) and stays on the screen all the time. It's like someone has their finger stuck on the volume button.

Am I correct in thinking there is no fix for this? I have a reasonably new Panasonic TV which is different from the models other people have mentioned having problems with.

• The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

william10 (10-10-16)

Thanks

Sigh...

I tried a different TV and the problem was the same. I tried a different HDMI cable on the second TV and the problem was fixed! I plugged the same cable in the original TV and the problem was back. I then plugged the cable back into the second TV and the problem was also back. I rebooted the box and the problem was fixed! ....it's so random!

I then plugged it back into the original TV and it worked for 10 seconds and then the sound automaticaly wound back to zero and stuck there.

This is a very strange device.
    Last edited by countryboy; 04-10-16 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks

My Humax now has a different problem (in addition to the volume issue). When I power it on the volume issue either arises or else it starts cycling through every channel on the guide, occasionally pausing on one channel before resuming its endless cycling. Eventually it shuts itself down. Has anybody had this problem?

I have contacted Humax Australia but haven't had a response.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

This may be unrelated, but have you checked there are no buttons on the remote (or on the box) that are stuck down?

• Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast