Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 303

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

  1. #21
    Junior Member maudandken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Reputation
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Freeview restrictions which Optus have imposed prevent recording on anything but the 2.5" internal drive BUT it will play from the USB and stupidly, all the skip functions work from that - so I'm told. I have not tried it.

    POSTSCRIPT: I just double checked in the manual (You guys are sadistic in making me actually read that!) and it confirms the above. It does not categorically state you cannot record via the USB but only mentions recording on the internal drive. And it discusses playing back music video etc from the USB.
    sorry, not made myself clear enough will a 3.5 fit inside or only a 2.5. have plenty of 3.5 hdd but will have to buy a 2.5 if there isn't enough room inside for a 3.5. thank you again Tassie Devil



  • #22
    Member transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    near Wilmot, TASMANIA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 95 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    120
    Reputation
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Sigh - communication problems!! Looks like going into detail has caused confusion although an earlier post did indicate it records 2 channels at once.
    Yes, the Humax will record two different channels simultaneously and you can look at a recording while doing this. AFAIK all twin tuner PVRs, terrestrial or satellite, allow this.
    I wasn't talking about viewing a recording whilst recording 2 channels. As my original post said:
    Well, the UEC will allow you to view a 3rd live video stream [a third live program] [2 recording, 1 viewing] from a transponder that one of the 2 tuners are tuned to. Does the HUMAX do that?

    Here is an example of what I am talking about:

    You can see that I am recording 2 shows whilst watching channel 24 which is not a recording but live.

    Well, does it do that or not? I would really like to know.

  • The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

    OSIRUS (05-06-13),Tiny (06-06-13),toyboy11 (05-06-13)

  • #23
    Junior Member maudandken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Reputation
    70

    Default

    who cares? i mean who really cares unless you are going to buy one and you are so much in love with you're UEC that you are never going to do that.

  • #24
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maudandken View Post
    sorry, not made myself clear enough will a 3.5 fit inside or only a 2.5. have plenty of 3.5 hdd but will have to buy a 2.5 if there isn't enough room inside for a 3.5. thank you again Tassie Devil
    Yes correct - only room for a 2.5". A 500 GB costs around the $50 mark and a 1 TB (which also works in the Humax) about $80. which means you can save over $200 by getting the STB and fitting the HDD yourself - discounting your time messing around doing that.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • #25
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    I wasn't talking about viewing a recording whilst recording 2 channels. As my original post said:
    Well, the UEC will allow you to view a 3rd live video stream [a third live program] [2 recording, 1 viewing] from a transponder that one of the 2 tuners are tuned to. Does the HUMAX do that?

    Here is an example of what I am talking about:

    You can see that I am recording 2 shows whilst watching channel 24 which is not a recording but live.

    Well, does it do that or not? I would really like to know.
    Had visitors here tonight so I'm off to bed now. I'll check that out tomorrow. Not important for me as I record EVERYTHING except the local commercial station news at 6pm - that is viewed as we eat! But the SBS news is recorded to look at later to see what is actually happening in the world, something the commercial channels do not always worry about.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

    maudandken (06-06-13)

  • #26
    Junior Member maudandken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    118
    Reputation
    70

    Default

    Thank you very much for all the time you have put into this post Tassie Devil

  • #27
    Member transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    near Wilmot, TASMANIA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 95 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    120
    Reputation
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maudandken View Post
    who cares? i mean who really cares unless you are going to buy one and you are so much in love with you're UEC that you are never going to do that.
    Well, Tassie Devil asked the question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Tiny that is a...

    I would be interested to read where the UEC is regarded as better than the Humax.
    and I am giving a possible answer.

    I'm interested in this technology as are others and when I recently obtained a UEC 4637 I was really surprised that it had this functionality. It has proven to be really useful to me and I personally would pay say $100 more for a recorder that does this. It might be a completely common feature for all I know so I am also just trying to find it if it is.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

    Tiny (06-06-13)

  • #28
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    I wasn't talking about viewing a recording whilst recording 2 channels. As my original post said:
    Well, the UEC will allow you to view a 3rd live video stream [a third live program] [2 recording, 1 viewing] from a transponder that one of the 2 tuners are tuned to. Does the HUMAX do that?

    Here is an example of what I am talking about:

    You can see that I am recording 2 shows whilst watching channel 24 which is not a recording but live.

    Well, does it do that or not? I would really like to know.
    OK, just set it to record ABC1 and SBS 1 and then found I could view all ABC & SBS channels in all states BUT, surprise, surprise, I could also view 7 central but none of the other channels. Looks like 7 central must use the same frequency set as one of the others OR the ABC & SBS are using the same frequency set.

    Anyway yes, the Humax does what your UEC will do.

    Spoke to Jay at Humax yesterday and he cannot duplicate what I reported re deleting files (unless a file has been opened up it cannot be deleted here). Maybe there is a setting buried in the menu somewhere so I'll look. But then I was just able to delete one of those two files now recorded for the above trial! More investigation needed.

    And I've yet to pin down what is going on that stops viewing a file. I've reported that to Jay so he is investigating. But again, I looked at a file while the two 15 minute trials above were being recorded and the viewing was not interrupted when the recordings stopped so I'm back to square one on that "fault" too. There might be no such problem.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

    CD1 (07-06-13),Tiny (06-06-13),transit (06-06-13)

  • #29
    Member transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    near Wilmot, TASMANIA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 95 Times in 58 Posts
    Rep Power
    120
    Reputation
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    OK, just set it to record ABC1 and SBS 1 and then found I could view all ABC & SBS channels in all states BUT, surprise, surprise, I could also view 7 central but none of the other channels. Looks like 7 central must use the same frequency set as one of the others OR the ABC & SBS are using the same frequency set.

    Anyway yes, the Humax does what your UEC will do.

    Spoke to Jay at Humax yesterday and he cannot duplicate what I reported re deleting files (unless a file has been opened up it cannot be deleted here). Maybe there is a setting buried in the menu somewhere so I'll look. But then I was just able to delete one of those two files now recorded for the above trial! More investigation needed.

    And I've yet to pin down what is going on that stops viewing a file. I've reported that to Jay so he is investigating. But again, I looked at a file while the two 15 minute trials above were being recorded and the viewing was not interrupted when the recordings stopped so I'm back to square one on that "fault" too. There might be no such problem.
    Well, I have found it to be such a useful feature [3rd stream viewing] that I am happy that everyone can have access to it. It would have been surprising if the HUMAX couldn't do it.

    Realistically, you just have to accept that there will be some bugs in the soft/firmware. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a software update to arrive for the HUMAX. The UEC has a few bugs that need sorting so hopefully that will be updated in time.

    One more question about the HUMAX -- does the hdd ever spin down when the unit is in standby or does it run 24/7.

  • #30
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    Well, I have found it to be such a useful feature [3rd stream viewing] that I am happy that everyone can have access to it. It would have been surprising if the HUMAX couldn't do it.

    Realistically, you just have to accept that there will be some bugs in the soft/firmware. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a software update to arrive for the HUMAX. The UEC has a few bugs that need sorting so hopefully that will be updated in time.

    One more question about the HUMAX -- does the hdd ever spin down when the unit is in standby or does it run 24/7.
    AFAIK it sleeps unless actively recording or playing.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

    Tiny (06-06-13)

  • #31
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default The Humax looks a winner after all!

    Not sure what is going on. The two problems I complained about before (* non deletion of files AND * interrupted play) just did not happen tonight. But there was a difference. The installer came down and I hooked the Humax up to another large dish rather than the "left behind" smaller Austar dish on the roof. Hard to believe that was the problem as I really have stopped believing in the tooth fairy and Father Xmas (apologies to those who still hold those conepts dear).

    So, the Humax is looking like a winner - if only that skip function can be restored.

    And I should add the installer was most impressed and said the Humax would be the unit he pushes in future.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 32 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    105
    Reputation
    215

    Default

    And what about series record. Does that work now, or still the same problems?

  • #33
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    And what about series record. Does that work now, or still the same problems?
    Not sure about that. I'm testing unit 2 for that and have set it to record a few series on ABC & SBS. I probably should also try it out on the commercial channels. Suggestions about a couple of programs to set?
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • #34
    Junior Member Sunshine Coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    88
    Reputation
    330

    Default

    I have not had the "cannot track" error again. Stand by.

  • #35
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    The following are the results of investigation using the second PVR and the problems which showed up are consistent with the other unit so are obviously general to all VAST Humax PVRs..

    The problem with interrupted viewing of recorded files was due to something embedded in the Austar LNB and is not now occurring with the other dish. So it obviously is not a Humax fault.

    I've got to the bottom of the "will not delete until played" problem. It occurs with any program recorded using the series option. Any program with timer set using guide -> yellow button will delete without needing to play it first but anything set with guide -> record series will not delete until played. That is a problem that needs attention.

    I've set a number of programs to be recorded by series but as many are weekly I will not know which work and which do not for awhile yet. But so far
    * SBS 6.30 news, set to series works consistently BUT
    * ABC 7.30 report does not.

    So it seems only some series can be tagged reliably when the series option is set but others are not. I'll report on others I find later but the bottom line is that at the moment the series option would be one to avoid as it cannot be relied upon.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

    Sunshine Coast (09-06-13)

  • #36
    Junior Member Sunshine Coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    88
    Reputation
    330

    Exclamation

    It's happened again! Happens when you are watching TV (Channel A), recording Channel B, and try to record Channel C.

    Click on image to see full size:


  • The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine Coast For This Useful Post:

    Tiny (10-06-13)

  • #37
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Get in touch with Jay at Humax.

    His email is hauservice@humaxdigital.com

    I've not experienced that one!

    EDIT POSTSCRIPT (next morning): I just read your post more carefully. If I understand correctly, you are trying to use 3 different channels at once, something a dual tuner recorder with only 2 channel capability cannot do. Sadly you require another unit. What you describe is why I have two twin tuner PVRs in operation in the main system.

    BUT, with VAST there is another way around it. Record the "Death in Paradise" on the ABC from the West Australian broadcast which is at a 2 hour time later than the Eastern Staes (or conversely set the Eastern State channel 2 hours earlier if in the West). This manoeuvre works fine for ABC & SBS where the VAST receivers accept broadcasts from all States but breaks down for the commercial channels for more than 2 simultaneous broadcasts.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 10-06-13 at 07:31 AM. Reason: More info
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • #38
    Junior Member Sunshine Coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    111
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    88
    Reputation
    330

    Default

    Thanks Tassie Devil. But shouldn't the unit simply stop me watching the channel I'm watching, and switch to the channel to be recorded, as my terrestrial unit does (a Panasonic DMR-PWT500)?

    Sort of cancelling the show to be recorded and allowing me to continue watching some junk I may or may not care about seems dumb.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine Coast For This Useful Post:

    Tiny (10-06-13)

  • #39
    Member Tassie Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Tasmania
    Age
    84
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 246 Times in 106 Posts
    Rep Power
    166
    Reputation
    2315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    Thanks Tassie Devil. But shouldn't the unit simply stop me watching the channel I'm watching, and switch to the channel to be recorded, as my terrestrial unit does (a Panasonic DMR-PWT500)?

    Sort of cancelling the show to be recorded and allowing me to continue watching some junk I may or may not care about seems dumb.
    Good point. Raise it with Jay and see what he says. He is welcoming feedback - they are obviously keen to get everything sorted. I have a few other minor niggles but will wait a bit more to make sure I fully understand how to best operate this PVR.

    Apart from this issue, how do you find it?
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

  • #40
    Crazy Diamond
    Tiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Tasmania
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,933
    Thanks
    9,878
    Thanked 4,649 Times in 2,379 Posts
    Rep Power
    1772
    Reputation
    73317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    Thanks Tassie Devil. But shouldn't the unit simply stop me watching the channel I'm watching, and switch to the channel to be recorded, as my terrestrial unit does (a Panasonic DMR-PWT500)?

    Sort of cancelling the show to be recorded and allowing me to continue watching some junk I may or may not care about seems dumb.
    yeah, I agree with you there, it should do something like my Austar HD twin tuner & give you a choice.

    A recording is about to start.
    1: Stop watching channel X & Tune to a recording
    2: Cancel Recording A
    3: Stop Recording B
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

  • Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •