Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

Thanks

I am still getting the unpleasant experience of a "cannot track" error when scheduling programs for recording.

It happens almost every time I set up a recording schedule. I lose about 15-20% of all programs I schedule for recording. It happens on various different channels. I cannot see a pattern in how or when the error occurs.

Bottom line, if I schedule something to record, I know it's hit and miss whether I'll get to see it.

If I want to make absolutely sure I'll get to see the program, I'll watch the first few seconds of the live broadcast then press the RECORD button to force the unit to record the program.

I'm amazed that nobody else is getting this error!

I also find it very annoying that in order to control the TV volume via the PVR remote control, I have to hit the "TV" button, then use the volume keys, then press the "PVR" button to go back to being able to control the PVR. It's easier to have the TV remote on hand. Compare this to my Panasonic PVR (terrestrial), which has separate keys on the remote for the TV's volume (see illustration below, look at top right hand corner of remote). This stuff has been known for years, so it irks me that primitive remotes are being handed out with expensive new PVRs like this Humax.

Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 09-08-13 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post

One minor problem is I recorded several X factor episodes, for my other half (I cant stand the rubbish) ! Anyway when I went into media and try and delete the episodes she has watched, I could not delete them ?

I have recorded other stuff and had no problems deleting.
    Are you absolutely sure?
    I have found that problem a few times, and every time I find it is my own "finger trouble"... For want of a better term. Each time I have found that, it is because I still have the program (ie: the recording) still playing in the background. I exit the menu, stop the program playing, back into the menu and then it can be deleted, no problem at all.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    I am still getting the unpleasant experience of a "cannot track" error when scheduling programs for recording.

It happens almost every time I set up a recording schedule. I lose about 15-20% of all programs I schedule for recording. It happens on various different channels. I cannot see a pattern in how or when the error occurs.

Bottom line, if I schedule something to record, I know it's hit and miss whether I'll get to see it.

If I want to make absolutely sure I'll get to see the program, I'll watch the first few seconds of the live broadcast then press the RECORD button to force the unit to record the program.

I'm amazed that nobody else is getting this error!

I also find it very annoying that in order to control the TV volume via the PVR remote control, I have to hit the "TV" button, then use the volume keys, then press the "PVR" button to go back to being able to control the PVR. It's easier to have the TV remote on hand. Compare this to my Panasonic PVR (terrestrial), which has separate keys on the remote for the TV's volume (see illustration below, look at top right hand corner of remote). This stuff has been known for years, so it irks me that primitive remotes are being handed out with expensive new PVRs like this Humax.

No, haven't had that problem at all.
    If you're missing programs my suspicion would be clashes in the recording schedule- don't forget any overlap and also the never ending problems with the networks, particularly 9 and 7, running waaaaaaaay off schedule, which is a real PITA.
    Q. Are you having problems with ABC and SBS?

And are you serious re the remote? Yes I have the Panasonic HDD recorder too (probably the exact same model as you, going by the remote), and yes, the Panasonic is a "polished" machine. However the Panasonic is sold worldwide, and would probably sell at least 1,000 units (maybe even 10,000?) for every Humax VAST recorder sold, so one would expect a higher level of polish as they can spend the money on R&D and get the software spot on.

Hopefully the HUMAX can fix a few glitches with a firmware update and then be almost comparable with the Panasonic HDD recorder. That would be nice!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 737 View Post
    If you're missing programs my suspicion would be clashes in the recording schedule
    Nope. Happens when only one program is scheduled for recording.

Are you having problems with ABC and SBS?
    All channels afaik. I will note which ones next time.

And are you serious re the remote?
    Yes, I am. It also makes a "clack" noise every time a button is pressed, really like a el-cheapo POS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 737 View Post
    Are you absolutely sure?
    I have found that problem a few times, and every time I find it is my own "finger trouble"... For want of a better term. Each time I have found that, it is because I still have the program (ie: the recording) still playing in the background. I exit the menu, stop the program playing, back into the menu and then it can be deleted, no problem at all.

Hope that helps.
    Well must have been operator error as I can now delete as required.

Tassy Devil

Can you run through this workaround again for me ?

""The skip workaround:
    I have transferred the > code from the navigator onto a normal button on the programmable remote. As discussed before, this does skip around 20 seconds. So, obviously 3 quick jabs of the button skips one minute, 6 jabs, 2 minutes etc. Not the most ergonomic and a curse on Freeview for having to do this but jabbing at that button is effective and is better than using FF.""

Cannot understand the >code from the navigator onto a "normal" button. Does this require a different remote to achieve ? my current skip button seems to jump about 10mins each push, no matter what I set it to.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Default Multiple Hops = a skip, well sort of!

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    Well must have been operator error as I can now delete as required.

Tassy Devil

Can you run through this workaround again for me ?

""The skip workaround:
    I have transferred the > code from the navigator onto a normal button on the programmable remote. As discussed before, this does skip around 20 seconds. So, obviously 3 quick jabs of the button skips one minute, 6 jabs, 2 minutes etc. Not the most ergonomic and a curse on Freeview for having to do this but jabbing at that button is effective and is better than using FF.""

Cannot understand the >code from the navigator onto a "normal" button. Does this require a different remote to achieve ? my current skip button seems to jump about 10mins each push, no matter what I set it to.

Thanks in advance
    The "official" skip button jumps 10 mins & cannot be altered (thank you Freeview).

What you work on is the right navigator button ->, the one on the right of the centre OK.

Each time it is pressed, it hops 10 or so seconds, not much unless the programmable remote is set by macro to multiple hop (no pause in between). I've set it to hop 8 times on one button and 16 on another. It is not as good as the genuine skip (which is near instantaneous) but to see it hopping along, kangaroo style, it is better than messing around with FF.

Does that explain it?

John
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Hi all,

I have as of today a working VAST setup with the HDR 1003S. I obviously haven't spent much time with it however have an issue with HDMI similar to the above. The unit is connect to a Marantz SR5007 and from there to Panasonic LED. With this setup I get nothing - no sound, no picture. Not a sausage.

If I connect the Humax unit directly to the TV via HDMI then all is well. I've seen some posts suggesting HDMI handshaking between sat decoders and AVR's is quite usual and to run S/PDIF to the amp for audio and HDMI to TV for video, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

As per a post above, my Humax update date is 18/4/2013, Marantz firmware was updated in the last month or so. Anything obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Thanks

Yes, obviously a handshaking problem, but my guess is it would be the handshaking with the Marantz SR5007 (a unit I'm unfamiliar with) that could be the problem. Just why is hard to understand as I guess the Marantz handshakes OK with other HDMI imputs? Try varying switch on times - try with Humax off & Marantz on, then switch the Humax on. If that does not work try the opposite, Humax on& Marantz off, then Marantz on. Once they have made friends you should have no troubles. But if that does not work I would do a hunt for experiences others have had with the Marantz. You might find an answer there.

I have two Humax units here, one handshaking with a Rotel A/V preamp and the other with a Denon AVR and there are no problems here.

Let us know how you go.

John

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-09-13)

Thanks

Thanks Tassie. All fixed - my fault.

Man I hate being stupid. I should have spent more time checking the Marantz but just assumed all was well as all other HDMI 'things' were OK. For some reason despite never having used the CAB/SAT input on the amp it was hard set to analogue sound and video was disabled completely.

I had to tell it to use HDMI for that input, which fixed the video, and then obviously change the audio from analogue to HDMI (actually to auto, and all is well).

I'll try to redeem myself in future posts!

• The Following User Says Thank You to __PJ For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-09-13)

Thanks

LOL, configuring does help.

But we all have had similar oversights from time to time and you show great humility to confess on a public forum.

Enjoy the Humax. It certainly is not perfect but remains very usable with some nice features. The two that remain bugging me are (i) you cannot delete a file until it is viewed (5 seconds will do) and (ii) if you use catch up to view after it has started to record but has not finished, your viewing it stopped when the recording stops - most irritating. But at least you do get to see the program, something which can be touch and go here terrestrially from time to time.

John

Thanks

I noticed the record cancelling issue last night actually; I'd starting recording Charlie Boormans' bike trip in SA; started watching about 30 mins in, and was unceremoniously dumped out when recording finished. It was quite noticeable as it booted me back to the previous channel I'd been watching, rather than to the up-until-quite-recently-recording channel.

Not a big problem for me but a little unpolished. I haven't yet recorded anything that I want to delete without watching but I'll set that up and give it a test.

Thanks

does anyone know where you can find a copy of the owner's manual for this machine?

seems the humax site doesn't have it?

Thanks

Default HUMAX HDR-1003S Volume Control

I have recently purchased HUMAX HDR-1003S

The volume continually creeps up to max and the volume bar remains on the screen I can turn it down but it comes bax to max.

I have powered the unit off which seems to fix it but after a period of time it happens again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Not experienced that but then again I just have the Humax volume full on and adjust the TV volume for the right level. Always done it like this, even with the UEC predicessor.

Thanks

Thanks Banjo

I could live with that but I have the volume gauge in the middle of the screen constantly on.

Thanks

Hi merkin,

Perhaps the remote is constantly signalling the unit? Try removing the batteries from the remote and see if that makes a difference.

And Tassie - I did a quick test and have the the same inability to delete unwatched programs.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dddp View Post
    does anyone know where you can find a copy of the owner's manual for this machine?

seems the humax site doesn't have it?
    Looks like everyone else is to busy to reply to you, I remember that there was an answer for you in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Here is a link to the 7500T terrestrial manual which is VERY similar
    hope that it is useful.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

tristen (07-09-13)

Thanks

Hi Merkin, I had the exact same issue as you with the volume control. It also did it sometimes with the channels randomly going up and down. It wasn't linked with the remote as it would happen even when remote battery was removed.

My unit went back to the retailer who couldn't replicate the fault but just gave me a new unit. Have never had an issue since the new unit arrived. You need to send the unit back I'd suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by merkin View Post
    I have recently purchased HUMAX HDR-1003S

The volume continually creeps up to max and the volume bar remains on the screen I can turn it down but it comes bax to max.

I have powered the unit off which seems to fix it but after a period of time it happens again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

I have just installed 2 x HDR1003S units, 1 x PVR Ready and 1 x PVR with 500Gb hard drive. I have had no issues with either unit and have since upgraded the PVR ready unit with a 500Gb hard drive (took 2 seconds). Both units seem to record and delete recorded programs without issue and are far more responsive than our UEC DSD4121 when moving from fast forward to play or switching channels. Don't know whether this is a result of more recent manufacturer updates, but we are very happy with both units.

Thanks

Has anyone else with one of these machines started having problems with the EPG.
    Ours has been flawless for a couple of months then started to slowly lose information on certain channels of the EPG.
    It just wouldn't load the data.
    Pressing the reset button on the front of the box fixes the problem after it has rebooted so its not a big issue except for losing scheduled recordings and saved favourite lists!
    It's happened twice to us now otherwise a great box overall.

• Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast