Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

Thanks

Had a couple of incidences where information was missing from certain channels on the epg,so could not program a recording, I just assumed it was a transmission thing, not the stb.
    But will try the reset next time I notice it.

Thanks

Default HDR-1003S indicates input signal level differs between tuners

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and have only recently purchased a Humax HDR-1003S.

I have not been able to determine why the tuners in my HDR-1003S indicate that they have a difference in input signal.
    Under settings -> system -> signal detection in the receivers set-up menu I currently see tuner 1 reporting 85% signal strength and tuner 2 indicating 50%.
    I would have thought that a 35% difference between tuners is significant and indicates a fault condition exists.
    I emailed Humax, they investigated and determined that this behaviour exists in their lab HDR-1003S and does not indicate a fault condition.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is seeing a large difference in the reported signal level in their working HDR-1003S PVR.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    Had a couple of incidences where information was missing from certain channels on the epg,so could not program a recording, I just assumed it was a transmission thing, not the stb.
    But will try the reset next time I notice it.
    Same. Has anyone got the TV portal to work?

Thanks

Yes TV portal works.

I get annoyed when you have a power outage, and the bloody STB goes 'a channel huntin' and you lose all your scheduled recordings. it really really annoys me, because sometimes it happens overnight and you don't always realise it's happened until you go to watch your recorded show and it isn't there; only to find the scheduled recording has been dumped.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kabammi View Post
    Yes TV portal works.

I get annoyed when you have a power outage, and the bloody STB goes 'a channel huntin' and you lose all your scheduled recordings. it really really annoys me, because sometimes it happens overnight and you don't always realise it's happened until you go to watch your recorded show and it isn't there; only to find the scheduled recording has been dumped.
    It's ridiculous that a new release PVR cannot store in memory, flash or other wise, your scheduled recordings during a power failure, my 25 year old VCR can do that! Should I mention that the UEC 4639 & even the polished turd - UEC 4121 PVR upgrade can do this.
    Seems like a serious firmware design fault, just my opinion, I'll put the helmet & flack jacket on now, so go ahead, make my day.

You Humax owners need to hassle Humax vehemently about this as it is not acceptable.

Would be interested to her Leroy's take on this; as he is now an owner of a VAST Humax & respected forum member, sat box seller & user.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VastSatUser View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum and have only recently purchased a Humax HDR-1003S.

I have not been able to determine why the tuners in my HDR-1003S indicate that they have a difference in input signal.
    Under settings -> system -> signal detection in the receivers set-up menu I currently see tuner 1 reporting 85% signal strength and tuner 2 indicating 50%.
    I would have thought that a 35% difference between tuners is significant and indicates a fault condition exists.
    I emailed Humax, they investigated and determined that this behaviour exists in their lab HDR-1003S and does not indicate a fault condition.

I would be interested to know if anyone else is seeing a large difference in the reported signal level in their working HDR-1003S PVR.
    If it is any consolation, I have noticed the exact same behavior and have had no problem with the signal during recording or live transmission over the last 3 mths. I presumed it was an incorrect reading.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

A different receiver, but similar problem

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    A different receiver, but similar problem

Similar problem, however solution is not possible for the Humax as it has an "Integrated silicon twin tuner (no loop through)." No second tuner input, therefore no where to put an attenuator.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

viewer (17-10-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    If it is any consolation, I have noticed the exact same behavior and have had no problem with the signal during recording or live transmission over the last 3 mths. I presumed it was an incorrect reading.
    I had some picture breakup that made me start looking at the tuner signal levels, that is when I noticed the indicated signal level difference between tuners under signal detection in the setup menu.
    You can usually tell if you are viewing tuner 2, when you change channel the signal level indicator at the bottom right of the screen shows low signal.
    I think that the picture breakup occurred on tuner 2 but I am not sure if constantly low signal level indication is linked.

Humax support asked that the PVR be returned to them to investigate the problem, they phoned a week later to advise that no fault was found and their reference PVR had the same reported level difference between tuners.
    Humax felt that the second tuner had enough signal to work correctly.
    A few replies in this forum noted that the UEC 4639 has a similar problem and a work around fix, something that can not work on the HDR-1003S.
    Not sure where to go from here, at least the picture breakup does not occur often.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VastSatUser View Post
    I had some picture breakup that made me start looking at the tuner signal levels, that is when I noticed the indicated signal level difference between tuners under signal detection in the setup menu.
    You can usually tell if you are viewing tuner 2, when you change channel the signal level indicator at the bottom right of the screen shows low signal.
    I think that the picture breakup occurred on tuner 2 but I am not sure if constantly low signal level indication is linked.

Humax support asked that the PVR be returned to them to investigate the problem, they phoned a week later to advise that no fault was found and their reference PVR had the same reported level difference between tuners.
    Humax felt that the second tuner had enough signal to work correctly.
    A few replies in this forum noted that the UEC 4639 has a similar problem and a work around fix, something that can not work on the HDR-1003S.
    Not sure where to go from here, at least the picture breakup does not occur often.
    From the above it sounds as though Humax doesn't understand the problem. When I first contacted UEC about the same problem they similarly told me that "the second tuner had enough signal to work correctly". Which was true for a few months and then conditions changed in some way and the signal was degraded to such an extent that it couldn't get a lock. Next when I contacted UEC they emailed me with a solution in 20 minutes [the attenuator]. UEC's explanation was:

This is because of too much signal level tuner 1 and its again amplified and feeding to the second tuner . So the higher half will cut off when it reaches the second tuner.

I don't quite understand it because the signal level on tuner 1 as indicated by the unit is not that high however their solution worked perfectly so they understand what the problem is. UEC is providing the solution at no cost to me so I guess that they consider it a design fault [which is the way I see it].

Either Humax doesn't understand the reason for the problem [unlikely] in which case you could tell them what happened with the UEC tuners or they understand the problem and don't want to pay for a solution [which will be much more expensive due to access or even a board replacement depending...] or something else that I haven't thought of.

My best guess is that they know about the problem and what the solution is but prefer to just pretend that it doesn't exist for financial reasons. If your unit is still working you could just forget about it but surely as you went to the trouble of sending your unit back then it's at least worth an email or two to Humax.
    Last edited by transit; 20-10-13 at 09:47 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

viewer (21-10-13)

Thanks

Default Firmware updated

Was pleasantly surprised to see the Humax prompting me to update the firmware today (22.10.13). I took the plunge and also snapped some quick and nasty photos to show the actual update process:-

Took about 18 minutes to download and then couple of minutes more for the unit to upgrade itself and reboot. Process was seamless and earlier settings and preferences appear preserved.

Here is the new system information screen:-

It shows the new firmware update date of "19 JUL 2013" and software version "AUSIAA1.01.02"
    (was previously "18 APR 2013" and "AUSIAA1.00.14")

So not really that new. Can't say what improved functionality it brings as I'm primarily using VAST for radio which is no better or worse than before
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cvxmelody; 22-10-13 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks

New Firmware now available for the Humax

I'm presently installing it in both recorders here. Once in I will see if I can find improvements. It is taking quite awhile to install.

John

POSTSCRIPT: And it rescanned - the whole process took under 30 minutes. All timer settings remained and hopefully they will still activate. I have both units permanently connected to the network so this update came through last night and stopped any recordings. As I did not use the Humax last night I was unaware it wanted my attention.

Anyway one of my pet hates - unable to delete a file until viewed, has been fixed. Nothing on their website about the new firmware but I'm guessing they might have fixed the "series record" function also. To test this I've set a couple of programs onto that mode.

One irritation remains which I have not struck with a PVR before. It registers a timer conflict but does not state where that conflict occurs. Instead it offers alternatives, something helpful, but not as helpful as actually listing the conflict. In many cases that conflict might be because of an apparent (but not real) overlap on the one station. e.g. trying to set the ABC 7.30 report for a series record can trigger "conflict because it finishes at 8.00 pm, and another following ABC program like Catalyst is scheduled to start at 8.00 pm. In this situation it is necessary to set Catalyst to start at 8.01 to avoid that "conflict". But of course it is not a conflict at all with 7.30 finishing before Catalyst starts. This would be easily overcome if the finish time of 8PM was actually 7.59.59 - this would require programming of the end point to be automatically reduced by one second.

As the summer months for bad terrestrial reception have not descended yet I'm only using the satellite VAST unit occasionally so have not completely tracked down another oddity which might have been fixed in this latest update. Some recorded files showed "0 minutes" so failed. I suspect this was because of supposed conflicts which I thought had been avoided by selecting the "cancel" option when they registered - but maybe they were not in fact cancelled?

16x FF remains the fastest and the official "skip" remains a useless 10 minutes.

Anyway, good to see they are improving this PVR.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 23-10-13 at 07:38 AM.
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Just received this info from Humax, which I assume will soon go onto their site:

[Improvements]
    1) Signal Mapping Change
    2) Loss of Recording Schedule on Power Failure in the remote area
    3) Menu Options for Media & Recording Playback & Skip Forward Time
    4) LNB Option change

[Details]
    Signal Mapping Change – IMPROVED.
    - A number of customers like to use the VAST ‘on-screen’ received signals strength meter to point their satellite dish.
    - The distributors & installers have requested Humax to improve the signal mapping so that the values can be more indicative of a real-life situation where actual signal strength is never 100% at maximum input signal and never zero at minimum due to noise.
    - Therefore, the strength display values changed to make it easier for a customer to locate the transponder and then fine tune to obtain maximum strength.

2) Loss of Recording Schedule on Power Failure in the remote areas – IMPROVED.
    - The schedule recording is one of key features for PVR which needs to be implemented without failures.
    - However, the current HDR-1003S is not able to save the scheduled recording if the generator power is switched off at night or power out before PVR is going to standby.
    - There are viewers who are in trouble due to loss of scheduled recording if they are using the generator power in the remote areas.
     This is also improved with the latest software.

3) Menu Options for Media Playback & Skip Forward time.
    - One commonly commented on item is the menu option which allows setting the Media Playback, Skip Forward Time to 30/60/120/240sec.
    - As this option is only for Media Playback, VAST subscribers cannot change the setting for the recorded content’s skip forward time.
    - Therefore, the additional menu for the skip forward was implemented for the recorded contents which is fully comply with Optus & Free time spec.

Before After

Media Playback only Not only Media Playback, but also Recording Playback option is added in the setting menu so that users can control the options for the recorded contents.

Before After

Media Playback only Not only Media Playback, but also Recording Playback option is added in the setting menu so that users can control the options for the recorded contents.

I tried to upload the image but failed. I'll try again.
    Last edited by Tassie Devil; 23-10-13 at 10:03 AM. Reason: jpeg file did not load

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Tiny (23-10-13)

Banned
    Thanks

I wonder how they get all the information to know what to fix in their updates....surely all they do is read this site, and rely on you?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    I wonder how they get all the information to know what to fix in their updates....surely all they do is read this site, and rely on you?
    Yes they read this site but some of us complain direct to them, others complain to the distributor, who, in turn passes it on to Humax.

For some time now the PVR manufacturers do what they consider to be a good testing program, only to find consumers pick up on items missed. Some consumers complain they do not really try and we are being issued with beta software but IMHO that is a bit harsh. Few consumers have a PC that has not given problems and PVRs are in the same boat as they are processor controlled with software direction. Sadly this is the norm for the 21st century with consumers expecting greater functionality from their processor controlled toys. More functionality requires more sophisticated software which, in turn, is rarely bug proof.

So, the Humax might not yet be perfect, but at least the manufacturers are concerned enough to improve the firmware. With VAST users a relatively small market that is commendable.

John

Banned
    Thanks

We should get admin to charge UEC and Humax as premium members...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Tassy Devil, good job by you & others in this thread pursuing Humax to make some changes.

One question, as there is no mention of it in your post #133; did the firmware upgrade address the problem of recorded playback being aborted when another scheduled timer start/end recording fires?

Originally Posted by Tassie Devil

I was wrong about the Austar LNB/dish causing a problem when viewing. Looks like there is a bug in the software, something I had trouble explaining to Jay on the phone this morning although he said he would check it out.

The problem: A program is set by the timer to record say from 8 to 8.30. At 8.10 we start to view it, i.e. chase play - look at it before the recording is finished. After 20 minutes at 8.30 the timer fires to stop the recording BUT this stops the file playing and takes viewing back to live. It is then necessary to go to the Media Play to resume play.

I had not been chase playing for a bit so this misled me to blame the problem on the Austar connection, now obviously a red herring. The interruption does not occur if the recording has finished. I had trouble convincing Jay that this does not happen on other PVRs, or at least not on any I've owned and cannot recall it ever happened on the Humax 7500T.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Hi Tassy Devil, good job by you & others in this thread pursuing Humax to make some changes.

One question, as there is no mention of it in your post #133; did the firmware upgrade address the problem of recorded playback being aborted when another scheduled timer start/end recording fires?
    Thanks for reminding me about that Tiny. I'll check it out tonight and report back. I have not been using the Humax much lately, including chase play, but will test it out. Terrestrial reception has been OK lately but will soon get worse as the season progresses.

John

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    Just received this info from Humax, which I assume will soon go onto their site:

[Improvements]
    1) Signal Mapping Change
    2) Loss of Recording Schedule on Power Failure in the remote area
    3) Menu Options for Media & Recording Playback & Skip Forward Time
    4) LNB Option change

[Details]
    Signal Mapping Change – IMPROVED.
    - A number of customers like to use the VAST ‘on-screen’ received signals strength meter to point their satellite dish.
    - The distributors & installers have requested Humax to improve the signal mapping so that the values can be more indicative of a real-life situation where actual signal strength is never 100% at maximum input signal and never zero at minimum due to noise.
    - Therefore, the strength display values changed to make it easier for a customer to locate the transponder and then fine tune to obtain maximum strength.

2) Loss of Recording Schedule on Power Failure in the remote areas – IMPROVED.
    - The schedule recording is one of key features for PVR which needs to be implemented without failures.
    - However, the current HDR-1003S is not able to save the scheduled recording if the generator power is switched off at night or power out before PVR is going to standby.
    - There are viewers who are in trouble due to loss of scheduled recording if they are using the generator power in the remote areas.
     This is also improved with the latest software.

3) Menu Options for Media Playback & Skip Forward time.
    - One commonly commented on item is the menu option which allows setting the Media Playback, Skip Forward Time to 30/60/120/240sec.
    - As this option is only for Media Playback, VAST subscribers cannot change the setting for the recorded content’s skip forward time.
    - Therefore, the additional menu for the skip forward was implemented for the recorded contents which is fully comply with Optus & Free time spec.

Before After

Before After

I tried to upload the image but failed. I'll try again.
    With improvements to PVR signal mapping in this firmware release did you notice whether the signal level indicated for each tuner shown on the signal level indicator in the setup menu change?
    Do the tuners now indicate that they have a similar signal levels or is there still a 30% difference indicated?
    I am overseas at present and can not download the new firmware update, install then check the tuner levels.
    Given that the Humax PVR uses an integrated dual tuner module, and work around solutions like that provided by UEC are not possible, I am hoping that new firmware offers a solution.

Thanks

Default A number of improvements but....?

Well, chase play is now fine. The recording finishes without drama - not even a message to tell you it has finished.

BUT, deleting proved to be weird. Before the update, when play was stopped the list of files displayed with the one just looked at highlighted. Opt+ etc to delete. But just now that previous method to delete would not work. First up the file list did not display when play was stopped, then the OPT+ route did not highlight "display". Another oddity was the small icon on the left was all gray with no picture.

Then it was discovered that pressing the OK gave delete as an option. Press it, delete yes or no -> no deletion!! No matter what I did it just would not delete.

Then I tried something else - "play from the start", then stop and hey presto the list appeared and this time there was a coloured icon. "OK", "Delete" "YES" and it was nuked.

All very odd. I'll have to see if that situation recurs.

John

• Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast