Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Humax HDR-1003S Problems thread

Thanks

And there is something I have not got to the bottom of yet - how to quickly stop a recording. We chase play sometimes and then decide the recording is not of interest so wish to stop it and then delete it. This is a simple process on most PVRs but does not appear easy on the Humax VAST. Am I missing something as the "STOP" does not stop the recording?
    Having trouble configuring the remote to control the cat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil View Post
    And there is something I have not got to the bottom of yet - how to quickly stop a recording. We chase play sometimes and then decide the recording is not of interest so wish to stop it and then delete it. This is a simple process on most PVRs but does not appear easy on the Humax VAST. Am I missing something as the "STOP" does not stop the recording?
    On the manual, page 16: Press the STOP button to stop a scheduled recording. (If you say it does not work, this is another bug).

Thanks

Response from Humax regarding the inability to watch and record multiple channels:

HDR-1003s has 2 turners.
    This means you can do followings;

record 2 different channels and watch a recorded program
    Record 1 channel and watch a different channel
    Record 2 different channels and watch a sister channel of the channel you are recording

Thus, I am sorry to let you know that you won't be record channels A and B and watch channel C.

Thank you

Best regards,
    Jay Lee

Thanks

Apart from this issue, how do you find it?
    Inferior to my 2 year old Panasonic terrestrial recorder, to be frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    yeah, I agree with you there, it should do something like my Austar HD twin tuner & give you a choice.

A recording is about to start.
    1: Stop watching channel X & Tune to a recording
    2: Cancel Recording A
    3: Stop Recording B
    Funny thing is the manual says it will do that, i.e. pop up a warning that a scheduled recording is about to start and then change over. Does not do it. See page 16.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine Coast For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-06-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast View Post
    Response from Humax regarding the inability to watch and record multiple channels:
    HDR-1003s has 2 turners.
    This means you can do followings;

Record 2 different channels and watch a sister channel of the channel you are recording

Thus, I am sorry to let you know that you won't be record channels A and B and watch channel C.

Thank you

Best regards,
    Jay Lee
    Unless channel C is a sister channel to A or B.

Thanks

I was wrong about the Austar LNB/dish causing a problem when viewing. Looks like there is a bug in the software, something I had trouble explaining to Jay on the phone this morning although he said he would check it out.

The problem: A program is set by the timer to record say from 8 to 8.30. At 8.10 we start to view it, i.e. chase play - look at it before the recording is finished. After 20 minutes at 8.30 the timer fires to stop the recording BUT this stops the file playing and takes viewing back to live. It is then necessary to go to the Media Play to resume play.

I had not been chase playing for a bit so this misled me to blame the problem on the Austar connection, now obviously a red herring. The interruption does not occur if the recording has finished. I had trouble convincing Jay that this does not happen on other PVRs, or at least not on any I've owned and cannot recall it ever happened on the Humax 7500T.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Doesn't sound too bad with such an easy work-around.

Thanks

Have not tried chase play yet.

This unit seems to have had minimal testing.

Thanks

My VU+ seems to do the same thing, sometimes. If I'm watching a feed and a recording starts it will go live. Maybe something to do with the EPG and/or manual timers.

Thanks

Have not tried chase play yet.

This unit seems to have had minimal testing.
    The terrestrial 7500T does not have the problems of this VAST unit so I guess you are right. The rotten Freeview and other restrictions imposed by Optus have generated more difficulties than envisaged. But this sort of situation is common these days. I cannot think of one PVR, the first in a series, that has been on sale without bugs. Consumers are effectively given items with beta software. Shades of many computer programs. I guess we have to expect this as, wanting the software to do so much means it is complex so unforeseen bugs are inevitable. Such is digital life these days.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tassie Devil For This Useful Post:

Sunshine Coast (11-06-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

I was wrong about the Austar LNB/dish causing a problem when viewing. Looks like there is a bug in the software, something I had trouble explaining to Jay on the phone this morning although he said he would check it out.

The problem: A program is set by the timer to record say from 8 to 8.30. At 8.10 we start to view it, i.e. chase play - look at it before the recording is finished. After 20 minutes at 8.30 the timer fires to stop the recording BUT this stops the file playing and takes viewing back to live. It is then necessary to go to the Media Play to resume play.

I had not been chase playing for a bit so this misled me to blame the problem on the Austar connection, now obviously a red herring. The interruption does not occur if the recording has finished. I had trouble convincing Jay that this does not happen on other PVRs, or at least not on any I've owned and cannot recall it ever happened on the Humax 7500T.

This is not good, it is a major bug in my opinion.
    Neither my Vast UEC 4121with PVR upgrade or Mystar HD box have this problem, neither did my old Sony Digital hard drive recorder.
    The UEC 4121 shows a short corner onscreen display saying Record stop or Start depending on timer settings, the Mystar box you wouldn't know except the recording light is on or off on the box depending on timers.

I use chase play/time slip quite a bit with weekend motor racing & so it would be a pain to end up live at the end of the race while expecting to watch the beginning or middle.
    I absolutely do not want to know the result before I get there watching the whole program.
    You may say the program has finished so that wouldn't happen, however live sports events quite often run over time & so I record the next program or 3 as well to make sure I get the end, the UEC 4121 is great in this respect as when you reach the end of a recorded program it goes straight to the playback menu so you instantly select the next inline.

Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    Doesn't sound too bad with such an easy work-around.
    Big problem to me see above, my easy work around if this is a common problem will be to purchase the UEC 4639 that has uninterrupted chase play/time slip.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Unfortunately, I have just found that I get the "cannot track" error on recordings made while watching a recording. So this means I am getting this error with one tuner set to record, and simply watching a recording, the other tuner idle.

Another error: using the Fast Forward or Fast Rewind at the basic 2x speed, I am unable to locate the end of the adverts. If you press Stop as soon as you see the end of the ads, the play starts up to a minute later.

Really, I have to rate this unit as a 3/10. It's not ready for sale.
    Last edited by Sunshine Coast; 12-06-13 at 06:42 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine Coast For This Useful Post:

Tiny (13-06-13),toyboy11 (13-06-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I have just found that I get the "cannot track" error on recordings made while watching a recording. So this means I am getting this error with one tuner set to record, and simply watching a recording, the other tuner idle.

Another error: using the Fast Forward or Fast Rewind at the basic 2x speed, I am unable to locate the end of the adverts. If you press Stop as soon as you see the end of the ads, the play starts up to a minute later.

Really, I have to rate this unit as a 3/10. It's not ready for sale.
    This is really making the UEC look good, we bagged the crap out of the UEC4121 for what were compared to this very minor issues.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Humax to admit to the problems & lack of field testing prior to release.

Also will be interesting to see how long before Humax fix the problems & give you an updated firmware OTA.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

toyboy11 (13-06-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    This is really making the UEC look good, we bagged the crap out of the UEC4121 for what were compared to this very minor issues.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Humax to admit to the problems & lack of field testing prior to release.
    I reckon. If you ask me, the UEC 4121 field trials were very successful. There were hundreds of suggestions and bugs brought to UEC's attention all at the cost of a dozen or so boxes. Should be a necessity for manufacturers given the strict nature of VAST certification.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (21-06-13),toyboy11 (13-06-13)

Thanks

Yes "minor issues" like an inferior power supply that had massive failure rates. Most of the issues people are complaining about are PVR or Freeview restriction issues, the basic 4121 was not a PVR and had all sorts of problems when it was released. It had one of the largest warranty return rates of any Satellite Receiver in Australia. Version 1.0 of any product will have some bugs, we should judge Humax on how quickly they are prepared to fix any software issues.

As for recording of 2 channels and watching a third, it is better to explain it like this:

You can record 2 channels (A,B) and record a 3rd (C) if the the 3rd channel shares the same TP (Frequency) as either A or B. In the 3 WA VAST bouquets, the 12369V TP has ALL the commercial channels on it, so 90% of the time this will be possible. Exactly the same as the 4639 or any Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver.

• The Following User Says Thank You to therealyuriboy For This Useful Post:

dixons (15-06-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by therealyuriboy View Post
    You can record 2 channels (A,B) and record a 3rd (C) if the the 3rd channel shares the same TP (Frequency) as either A or B. In the 3 WA VAST bouquets, the 12369V TP has ALL the commercial channels on it, so 90% of the time this will be possible. Exactly the same as the 4639 or any Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver.
    It gets a bit more complicated with the Remote Central & Eastern commercial channels. Especially with 7mate Central being on a separate transponder to SCTV Central and 7TWO Central.

I think a list is needed to make it easier for the hardcore recorders out there. Might knock one up now.

| www.SatTVGuide.com.au |

Volunteer, non-profit online TV guides for VAST viewers.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smacca For This Useful Post:

maudandken (16-06-13),mtv (17-06-13),OSIRUS (17-06-13),therealyuriboy (15-06-13)

Thanks

So, here is how the "cannot track" error occurs.

Notice how the unit is not recording as instructed. This will end up with the error I have shown above.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunshine Coast For This Useful Post:

mtv (17-06-13),OSIRUS (17-06-13),Tiny (17-06-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi Sunshine Coast, have you been in touch with Humax about this for an explanation of why their twin tuner PVR has trouble recording one program?
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

No, the unit belongs to the landlord who has kindly allowed us to use it from new before she moves in here herself. I won't have this unit for long. I suspect firmware updates will sort most of the problems out eventually.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

...I suspect firmware updates will sort most of the problems out eventually.
    Quite likely, but with each firmware update, Optus gets a $20K fee to re-accredit the box, you'd think Humax would have thoroughly tested functions before release.

To their credit, UEC did extensive lab and field tests before releasing any firmware, but like any new design, we expect some teething problems.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (17-06-13),Tiny (17-06-13)

• Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast