Thread: Austar Install?

Thanks

Default Austar Install?

Does Austar provide an installation with their service? I believe for my father they sent a box only and didn't do any install. If he moves house will they do an install this time? Can the house owner make the installer do it correctly (cables in walls, roof sealed etc) or will they charge extra for that? Better to cancel service at the current place and setup a new service once moved?

To use VAST would you have to get a multiswitch? I'd imagine they'd only run the two cables.

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

IIRC they'll install what is needed, they certainly have whenever we've moved house. If, of course, there is already equipment in situ, then a decoder may be all that is required.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (02-06-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

They can install for you but it may cost. Might be cheaper to cancel and then rejoin when a free installation offer is on like in the shopping centres for example. To use the VAST receiver as well you'll need at least a dual LNB so each box has it's own LNB connection so you'll need to sweet talk the installer or pay him for the dual LNB. If you get a mystar they will install a dual LNB as they need 2 LNB connections but then you'll need to use a multi switch so you can have an extra connection for the vast box.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,077 Times in 6,766 Posts

As mentioned, Foxtel (no more Austar), will provide a decoder only if according to their records, a dish and outlet is already in-situ, otherwise they will provide whatever is required for your particular requirements.

Cables are usually run inside external cavity walls only (eg: brick veneer).

Roof penetrations are sealed.

Foxtel contract installers are poorly paid and need to complete the job as quickly as possible and move onto the next.

If you require cabling out of the norm, it's better to engage an independent installer.

To add VAST, it depends what LNB, outlets and decoder Foxtel have installed.

If it's a dual LNB and only a standard single tuner Foxtel box, then the other LNB outlet can be used for the VAST decoder.

If it's a single LNB with a single outlet then it will need to be upgraded to a dual LNB as above.

If you have Foxtel iQ/MyStar, it will need a dual LNB for just the Foxtel box, so to add an additional outlet for VAST, you'll need to install a multiswitch.

As for cancelling and signing up again.... see what deals are going.

Most deals are for new customers only, but quite often if you threaten to cancel, you can negotiate for something you wouldn't normally be entitled to.

eg: free installation may not be included just relocating address if a Foxtel service hasn't previously been installed at the new address, but if you threaten to cancel your subscription, they may provide the installation fer free, etc, etc.

Your dad needs to talk to Foxtel, as there are so many variables and only Foxtel can decide what he will or won't get for certain.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Or one could say, Foxtel will install an Austar box if you are in a previously desiganted Austar area.

If you cancel from one address you will be deemed a new customer at another address which is the case here.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

When he first got Austar they only sent the box. He had a prime focus dish with an old LNB (phone number was 6 digits) only good for aurora. I called up and they said they could only offer DIY where he lived (a long way from anywhere) and they would send a new LNB. It arrived a few months later for an offset dish. By this time out of my own pocket i put up a dish and put a sharp LNB with 4 connections and ran two cables to the TV for VAST and Austar. I enjoyed the challenge and learning experience. Most of you guys supported me with my original confusion. Out of curiosity are there areas Austar will not do an install or were they just avoiding that in my situation?

The reason I ask about work quality is I've installed an offset dish before (pretty straight forward... austar is the satellite in the middle of three). I've got a fair amount of plumbing under my belt. I can do flashing and screw down a dish mount no worries. Not very good at running cables in walls though. Normally put it down in a cupboard out of sight on the inside of the door so to see it you have to stick your head in the cupboard and then come up through the floor into the wall and put a plate on. However, this new house looks to be on a slab making that a little difficult. Also i'd avoid doing the work if someone else will for "free". I've gotta installed Yagi antenna for 3G anyway. But i'll mount that below the TV antenna.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,077 Times in 6,766 Posts

There are remote areas (eg: WA & NT) where Foxtel only provide the decoder and you need to supply dish installation yourself, otherwise, they supply and install everything.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Did you read this help page I posted in your other thread?

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Did you read this help page I posted in your other thread?

Thanks mate. You're a legend that page answered all my queries. It's all gravy with Austar until they send you the box and you end up installing a dish out of your own pocket in summer. Been there not wishing to do it again.