Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Openbox Satellite List Help!!

Thanks

Post Openbox Satellite List Help!!

Hello i have a openbox S9 and i was wondering if i could add satellite positions onto the box. Reading up and researching ive tried to insert some positions using Lyngsat and they have not worked. I only have intelsat 19. P.S why are some channels showing up a black screen or black screen with sound?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

You should be able to add a new satellite. I can't remember the menu on the S9 but all receivers have the option to add sats.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    You should be able to add a new satellite. I can't remember the menu on the S9 but all receivers have the option to add sats.

Leroy
    Yep i have tried that but still no luck. Is it possible to get all the Aussie channels on my sat box?

Thanks

You might try updating the firmware then if having problems adding a sat. You need to do a scan of the sat that has the 'Aussie' channels you're looking for.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

JRH (05-06-13)

Thanks

You might try updating the firmware then if having problems adding a sat. You need to do a scan of the sat that has the 'Aussie' channels you're looking for.

Leroy
    Thanks very much Leroy its working like a treat

Thanks

Why is it when i choose the optus D1 from the list and when it scans it shows me European Stations?

Thanks

Delete all the D1 channels first before doing a scan of D1.

Leroy

Thanks

Delete all the D1 channels first before doing a scan of D1.

Leroy
    I have all of the transponders for the channels but its a very low quality. Do i need a bigger dish?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    I have all of the transponders for the channels but its a very low quality. Do i need a bigger dish?
    D1 is usually fine on a 65cm dish for most of Australia.

Signal quality is directly affected by LNB skew. *A bigger dish will generally not improve signal quality, only signal strength. (*unless of course you're in a weak signal area)

Have you optimised your LNB skew?
    Last edited by mtv; 09-06-13 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    D1 is usually fine on a 65cm dish for most of Australia.

Signal quality is directly affected by LNB skew. *A bigger dish will generally not improve signal quality, only signal strength. (*unless of course you're in a weak signal area)

Have you optimised your LNB skew?
    Ive tried using this but i dont know what skew is?

1/. MENU > INSTALLATION > SATELLITE LIST > GREEN Button (ADD) > Then use the numerical keypad to choose the characters required (step through them - the RED Button toggles Upper/Lower case.
    To add a Space use the Zero (0) Key).
    Use the Right or Left Arrow Buttons to move the cursor left or right.
    2/. Once you get the name right, press the Down Arrow key in order to navigate to the next line, where you can add the appropriate longitude data.
    3/. Once finished, use the YELLOW Button to SAVE the entered data or the BLUE Button to Cancel.
    Press the EXIT Button to exit and save the data.
    4/. Don't forget to Enable the satellite you have just entered, by going back into the SATELLITE LIST, highlighting the satellite name and pressing the OK button (a tick appears next to the satellite name). To disable a satellite, simply highlight its name and press OK - the tick will then disappear.
    When in a menu, pressing the EXIT button will exit and at the same time save any new or altered data.

5/. ANTENNA SETUP > choose the appropriate satellite.
    6/. Don't forget to enter appropriate LNB local oscillator frequency etc.
    Use DiSEqC1.0 for any DiSEqC switches in the system.
    7/. Once again, the EXIT Button will enable you to exit and save the new details.

To add appropriate transponder information do the following.
    1/. MENU > INSTALLATION > TRANSPONDER LIST > (The appropriate satellite name should be indicated) GREEN Button (ADD) - enter the appropriate transponder Frequency. Press the DOWN arrow to navigate to Symbol Rate and enter the appropriate details. Repeat the procedure to enter the appropriate Polarity information.
    2/. Use the Down Arrow button to navigate to the Save box and press the OK button to save the new transponder details.
    3/. Repeat the procedure in order to enter additional transponder details.

The coloured buttons, denoting the various actions available in a menu, appear at the bottom of the screen.

Administrator
    Thanks

Ive tried using this but i dont know what skew is?
    SKEW is the physical angle of the LNB in its holder.

The angle of the antennas inside the LNB must match the angle of the transmitted signals from the satellite.

Because of the huge variation of receiving locations on earth in relation to the fixed location of a satellite, the 'SKEW" angle of the receiving antenna (LNB) needs to be adjusted.

To do this accurately, you need to be able to see a signal quality scale, either from your decoder on a TV screen, or a satellite meter which has a signal quality scale.

Your location of 'Wogtown' could be anywhere.

If you can be more specific, I can give you an approximate starting position for your LNB.

Thanks

SKEW is the physical angle of the LNB in its holder.

The angle of the antennas inside the LNB must match the angle of the transmitted signals from the satellite.

Because of the huge variation of receiving locations on earth in relation to the fixed location of a satellite, the 'SKEW" angle of the receiving antenna (LNB) needs to be adjusted.

To do this accurately, you need to be able to see a signal quality scale, either from your decoder on a TV screen, or a satellite meter which has a signal quality scale.

Your location of 'Wogtown' could be anywhere.

If you can be more specific, I can give you an approximate starting position for your LNB.
    Im in Banksia.NSW

Administrator
    Thanks

Im in Banksia.NSW
    Know the area well.

Approx LNB skew will be between the 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock position of the LNB output connector when looking from the front of the dish.

Have a look at Foxtel dishes near you and the skew on those LNB's will be around the same as what your's needs to be.

You still need to see a signal quality scale to make accurate adjustments, which will be very tiny increments of rotating the LNB in its holder until you obtain the highest signal quality reading.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Ive tried using this but i dont know what skew is? ...
    The instructions you cited appear to be from one of my posts.

It's good to see that you've looked for relevant information by searching the forum for previous posts, JRH. Well done!

This image might help.

As MTV has said, rotate the LNB (slowly) clockwise and then anti-clockwise in its holder to maximise signal quality.

Once the correct position has been found, tighten the screw so that the LNB is held firmly.

Don't forget to seal the LNB F connector joint with self-amalgamating tape in order to exclude moisture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post

It's good to see that you've looked for relevant information by searching the forum for previous posts, JRH. Well done!

This image might help.

As MTV has said, rotate the LNB (slowly) clockwise and then anti-clockwise in its holder to maximise signal quality.

Once the correct position has been found, tighten the screw so that the LNB is held firmly.

Don't forget to seal the LNB F connector joint with self-amalgamating tape in order to exclude moisture.
    Yep i have that done but the problem is the quality. Intelsat 19 is 90% quality while optus C1 is 10%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post

This image might help.

Yep i have that done but the problem is the quality. Intelsat 19 is 90% quality while optus C1 is 10%

Administrator
    Thanks

You were talking about D1 now C1... which is it?

Not that it matters greatly with regard to LNB skew, as all Optus sats are approx the same, however, other sats, like IS19 have a skew which is about 40 deg different to the Optus sats, which suggests if you have high signal quality for IS19 and low signal quality for D1/C1, then you have your LNB skew set for IS19, not the Optus sats.

IS19 will have an LNB skew of approx the 5 o'clock position of the output connector, where for the Optus sats it will be closer to the 7 o'clock position (as viewed from the front of the dish).

If you could post a pic showing the front of your dish and the LNB position, that will help greatly.

Thanks

You were talking about D1 now C1... which is it?

Not that it matters greatly with regard to LNB skew, as all Optus sats are approx the same, however, other sats, like IS19 have a skew which is about 40 deg different to the Optus sats, which suggests if you have high signal quality for IS19 and low signal quality for D1/C1, then you have your LNB skew set for IS19, not the Optus sats.

IS19 will have an LNB skew of approx the 5 o'clock position of the output connector, where for the Optus sats it will be closer to the 7 o'clock position (as viewed from the front of the dish).

If you could post a pic showing the front of your dish and the LNB position, that will help greatly.
    Its C1 and the dish is positioned at 5oclock. If its postioned at 6oclock would it help both qualities
    Last edited by JRH; 09-06-13 at 04:33 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

Its C1 and the dish is positioned at 5oclock. If its postioned at 6oclock would it help both qualities
    For C1, you need to follow my instructions, which is LNB skew probably closer to the 7 o'clock position and optimised by watching a signal quality scale whilst making very small adjutments.

This will improve signal quality for the Optus sats, but reduce quality of IS19 as it has a different skew.

Is your dish motorised or fixed and does it only have one LNB?

Pics will help.
    Last edited by mtv; 09-06-13 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks

For C1, you need to follow my instructions, which is LNB skew probably closer to the 7 o'clock position and optimised by watching a signal quality scale whilst making very small adjutments.

This will improve signal quality for the Optus sats, but reduce quality of IS19 as it has a different skew.

Is your dish motorised or fixed and does it only have one LNB?

Pics will help.
    Its fixed with 1 LNB

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast