Thread: Quantum mechanics question

Thanks

Default Quantum mechanics question

Do you think quantum mechanics is the way to understand the universe as much as it can be understood from our point of view? The things we can calculate and explore using these mechanics is unbelievable. I don't know that much about it because I know it is very hard to understand and I'm not that good at physics. Is anyone here who's more experienced in this field that post a few interesting facts?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i find above video is very interesting.
    particles knows when you are looking at them and react differently.

Thanks

Wow, that's very interesting. I cannot even imagine how anything of this can be possible. So what does reality look like in the "real" world, not the way we see it? Is it even possible for humans to know such things? I don't know how are we going to escape our point of view, we can't get out of our own skin. I don't think completely understanding reality is meant for us to be understood. Very interesting stuff nonetheless.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

It's not that hard to explain quantum physics. It's just difficult to make sense of it if you're trying to understand how it works.
    It's not important to try to understand how it works, since nobody understands that. It is important to know the behaviour.

The video above is one of the classic examples. I haven't watched it but I can see from the interference pattern that it's a "two slit experiment."
    It explains how photons are both a wave and a particle. They can't be both, but they are.

Another aspect of quantum physics is probability. I can tell you to given 100 atoms, that exactly 50 of them will be left after one half life. A very accurate prediction.
    What I can't tell you is which 50. If I try to predict which ones I will always manage a 50% average.

So the basics of quantum physics can be explained without much complex maths and it's easy to understand.
    Just don't try to comprehend how such things are possible and you're head won't explode
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

porkop (12-06-13)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I find this a geat website to help find the answer to life, the universe and everything, all in plain text:

So just scroll down to Q for Quantum physics and mechanics, U for Uncertainty Principle, etc
    and so much more.

I find some articles in Wikipedia on these topics sometimes more confusing, better when you have advanced a bit.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Yes, I was thinking that. The more somebody tries to explain it, the more confusing it gets.

One of my other quantum favourites is the tunnel diode. It's a real world example of quantum physics.

The electron teleporting diode

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Yes, I was thinking that. The more somebody tries to explain it, the more confusing it gets.
    well then, if you dont think about it you will understand, is that it lol
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Thanks

That's it no-meat. Quantum physics only gives you an answer when you ask for it, the answer does not exist until you do so
    If you ignore it, it doesn't exist.

Or rather in Schrodingers example, all of the possibilities exist and one materialises only when you look at it.
    The act of observation causes the answer to materialise.

These make sense at the quantum level, but my own typing causes me to crack up laughing when I think of it in the ordinary world.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

err... porkop gets that credit

These make sense at the quantum level, but my own typing causes me to crack up laughing when I think of it in the ordinary world.
    Not that different in the normal world. Just look at something that follows chaos like the weather. The more we look for future global warming the more we will find it.

Perhaps even globally thinking about it might cause a butterfly effect
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I fart and it's like all hell has broken loose.
    That's Chaos theory at work

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Just don't light it, trash, or you might be accused of using a WMD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Do you think quantum mechanics is the way to understand the universe as much as it can be understood from our point of view? The things we can calculate and explore using these mechanics is unbelievable. I don't know that much about it because I know it is very hard to understand and I'm not that good at physics. Is anyone here who's more experienced in this field that post a few interesting facts?
    It definitely can't be used to understand the universe as much as possible; but for extremely small scales (i.e. nanometers or angstroms) it gives you very, very accurate results. The fundamental problem in physics today is reconciling quantum mechanics with Einstein's theory of general relativity, because they have found that these theories are actually incompatible with each other in cases where they both apply (that is, it results in various contradictions or nonsensical answers). So for example, in a black hole you have relativistic effects due to the intense gravity, but at the same time you have an extremely small volume in which quantum effects are observed...and so it is precisely these situations in which these modern scientific theories can't give us any good answers. That's why they're trying to come up with new scientific theories that find a way to "bridge the gap" so to speak, like superstring theory or quantum gravity theory.

Its extremely interesting though. I believe they're making steady progress in building a quantum computer. I tried to write a report on it, but regretted it immediately as I realized it was way over my head. But as I continue my studies one day I will understand . Its interesting to note that even small macroscopic objects display some quantum behaviour, its just very minute.

Thanks

The quantum computer was having some serious trouble. I can't remember what the problems where but last I heard they were all wearing sad faces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    The quantum computer was having some serious trouble. I can't remember what the problems where but last I heard they were all wearing sad faces.
    The quantum mechanic said it would take a couple of weeks, but we've all heard that line.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    The quantum mechanic said it would take a couple of weeks, but we've all heard that line.
    Well, once they fix it, they should be able to shorten that time to nothing.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    From Drift's link i found this playlist From minutephysics.

This is worth watching all of the videos from the start.

Video 76 with the adding of velocities tripped me out.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Check out Professor Jim Al-Khalili's lecture at the Royal Institution.

This is compelling viewing and makes my addled brain even more perplexed. I have always struggled with the concept of wave–particle duality, and will most likely continue to do so. The has some brilliant content. Well worth a look.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

allover (21-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am totally fascinated by Astronomy and what little I can comprehend of Physics, splitting the Atom, sub Atomic particles and all that only to watch a show the other day where a study of the Fossil layers around parts of Australia showed how 'life' began only to find a massive layer in the crust of a cataclysmic event overlaying those Fossils almost completely obliterating them.
    This layer was around 600 mm (2 feet) thick of the results of massive Volcanic Eruptions that no amount of knowledge of any of the Sciences could have prevented or saved the existing 'Life' forms.
    There have been Ice Ages and Meteors all added to the equation but still here we are today with all our knowledge and abilities that allows us to pontificate on such matters.
    Yet, even with all that we are still vulnerable to extinction by either Nature, external events or more likely, by our own hand.
    The recent Asteroid/Meteor fly pasts illustrated that!!
    I dont believe we will ever leave 'Planet Earth' in our present form due to the immense distances we need to travel and our short life span based on Terrestrial time so until science finds a way to evolve us to another form of existence, all else is really just of 'Academic Interest'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!