Thread: Sid Meier's Civilization V

Thanks

Default Sid Meier's Civilization V

So I've recently gotten a copy of this game, and I've been quite blown away buy how much fun this game is. The game is a great turn-based Strategy game that is essentially the pursuit of various Civilizations for domination of the world through certain means. The game allows you to choose from many different historical Civilizations with quite a decent historical accuracy, and using each Civilization's unique traits, you attempt to win the game through means of culture, science, or military domination.
    I was wondering whether anyone else had played the game, hopefully looking to pick up some tips and tricks, or simply to discuss the game! I'm still quite new, and unfortunately not very good!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Does this game easily get old and feel repetitive? I'm not sure but to me it seems like it might get old fast, other than that I'm not sure if I should buy it or not. Let me know if it has the repetitive feel or not.

Thanks

Doesn't get been old playing the Civ games since it was on the AMIGA long sleepless nights of going one more turn. There is always something to do keeping the civs happy, diplomacy, war and just trying to keep a balance of peaceful ambition with military ambitions it's very wide open the way you play. I played entire game without my civ's being in a war but it did help having a big stick. Another way is keep rolling tanks into other civ's but you pay with social expansion. That's the beauty of Civ you can play it any way want.

Thanks

I made the mistake of playing Civilization before. I don't remember much else about that summer... The only game that had me more addicted was WoW. You can play Civ for days on end without it getting boring or even slightly repetitive and even then, you don't want to stop playing because you know that you need to save the world from Ghandi & his nukes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Does this game easily get old and feel repetitive? I'm not sure but to me it seems like it might get old fast, other than that I'm not sure if I should buy it or not. Let me know if it has the repetitive feel or not.
    I find that the game feels repetitive if I play more than two or three games in a row without taking any sort of break. However, with the way I believe Civ 5 is meant to be played with breaks in between games, Civ can suck up your life. I've often found myself staying up hours past my planned bed times because I need just one more turn. That takes over my life for a few days, then I take a break for a week or two until the itch comes back and it takes me over again!

Thanks

I love all the Civ games! It may sound barbaric but I dont like winning the game through the political or science routes, I always prefer to win through domination! I do this in the game settings by turning off all the "Methods of Victory" apart from Domination and turn off the option about razing all cities.

I always find that I take it personally when other nations declare war on me, just talking about the game makes me want to play!

Don't underestimate the fun of being the first in the game to build nuclear weapons!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notglenn2 View Post
    I find that the game feels repetitive if I play more than two or three games in a row without taking any sort of break. However, with the way I believe Civ 5 is meant to be played with breaks in between games, Civ can suck up your life. I've often found myself staying up hours past my planned bed times because I need just one more turn. That takes over my life for a few days, then I take a break for a week or two until the itch comes back and it takes me over again!
    An easy way to keep yourself entertained for various continuous games is to play different civilizations and go for different victories
    The easiest way for me to play would be to pick a nation like Japan (Samurais OP) and then go for a domination victory, but what I did after a game of that was go for a cultural victory as Egypt (rushing wonders) and after I finished that game, I started a game where I would attempt a science victory as Babylon (I'm still in the progress of attempting that). Civ V is such a diverse game, it's quite hard to get bored of it in my opinion as there are always different stratagems to attempt.

Thanks

A good way for the game to not get repetitive is if you use Steam, take a look at the achievements you don't have before the game and set several goals for yourself even before you start the game.
    I've always done this and it really helps the game feel fresh.

Thanks

I have the game for a long time, don't own any expansions though.
    I really liked it, actually, I should re-install it.

Thanks

I actually would recommend Alpha Centauri, also made by Sid Meier. I liked it a lot more than civilization games partly because it had more advanced technologies and really interesting quotes to go with them, but also great secret project videos that are much more involved than the ones you get in Civilization (you can check out some of the coolest ones on youtube ).

But also I feel like that game was a little bit easier to manage, and unlike Civ 5 you can have more than one unit on a tile, which definitely makes battles more engaging. As usual they have nukes as well as conventional rockets, as well as all of the standard victory options. I imagine you can buy it for a fairly decent price at this point, and it also has a good expansion called Alien Crossfire which I haven't played but was liked by the community and game reviewers at the time.

Come to think of it I really should play that expansion. Its so bizarre for me...because I played Civ 5 once and then couldn't play it again because it just didn't grab my attention/interest. Alpha Centauri is nearly the same game but I loved playing it. Here's a good example of one of the secret projects in the game, the Planetary Datalinks: