Thread: Improvements on projection of Halographic images

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Improvements on projection of Halographic images

While this is the stuff of Sci Fi presently, if this can be made a reality it would be the end of 3D TV and other forms of imaging we use now.
    REAL 3DTV without the need for glasses !!!
    One field I see that this would be a great assistance would be in Medical Imaging.
    Could you imagine incorporating the current CT and MRI scans and projecting the result in halographic form not only in the immediate area but to anywhere as we do with TV for diagnosis purposes?
    Almost any form of engineering application could use this to enable designers to 'see' how their ideas would look when completed as they do now when they build scale models of ships, aircraft and buildings but being electronic, again it can be transmitted to anywhere a 'viewer' is available and be rotated,twisted and turned to see every aspect.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Hmmm " Holography ".

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post

While this is the stuff of Sci Fi presently, if this can be made a reality it would be the end of 3D TV and other forms of imaging we use now.
    REAL 3DTV without the need for glasses !!!
    One field I see that this would be a great assistance would be in Medical Imaging.
    Could you imagine incorporating the current CT and MRI scans and projecting the result in halographic form not only in the immediate area but to anywhere as we do with TV for diagnosis purposes?
    Almost any form of engineering application could use this to enable designers to 'see' how their ideas would look when completed as they do now when they build scale models of ships, aircraft and buildings but being electronic, again it can be transmitted to anywhere a 'viewer' is available and be rotated,twisted and turned to see every aspect.
    Sorry Cobber, but you missed the boat.

The Enchiladas go to " Fernbay ".

Last edited by beer4life; 20-06-13 at 09:14 PM. Reason: url

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Sorry Cobber, but you missed the boat.

The Enchiladas go to " Fernbay ".

Hi beer4life, I don't think your 3D printer has got much to do with new tech that has the possibility of displaying high quality holographic videos.
    Last edited by mickstv; 20-06-13 at 11:12 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

No photos tho!!!!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks

While I can follow B4life's posting, a 3D printer is a constructor of a static object and as was seen recently in the big beat up of the manufacturer of a hand gun by such a printer it can only make such in sections for later assembly.
    The 3D printer is currently limited in the size of what it can construct and to make something say 'Bigger than a Bread Box' will be very slow and time consuming.
    Now the Hologram being made of 'light' will be only limited in size by the projection of the beams to produce a viewable image.
    I see this in time to range from a current TV screen size to one multiple times bigger than real life and move in real time.
    Imagine going to a concert and instead of having to use huge TV screens so the audience can see the performance you could have a projection of the artist(s) many times larger for all to see.
    I know presently its just fantasy but I do believe in time you will be able to do the things holographically as we see on shows like the Matrix and Star Trek.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Help Me Obi Wan !
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Premium Member

Thanks

Because my first name is Gordon, as a kid I was often called 'Flash Gordon' after the very popular back then Sci Fi character which of course whose actions in the late 40's early 50's was quite impossible to believe as this was before the first Jet powered passenger aircraft (Comet) went into service.
    Even then in those old movie serials they had means of projecting images into 'thin air' , but at that time it was seen as an extension of the then fledgling Television but hinted of a more interesting concept.
    70 years have passed and what advances in technology we have seen in that time so I dont think this is too beyond belief......do you??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Geeze Gordon I am glad you cleared that up as you could have been known for another reason
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks

allover, if I havent already been called what ever your thinking I should be, I would be very very surprised !!

Thanks

Gordon just got a video call from Dick Tracey !

I'm a child of the 70's and 80's.
    My first computer was in 1978 (first computer I used as a kid)
    It had 8 inch, 128kb floppy disks. Z80 CPU running CP/M at 1MHz with a massive 32kb or RAM. I think this first computer cost my dad $15,000 when our house was worth $25,000.
    Later a 5.25 inch 256kb FDDs, Z80 CPU running CP/M at 2MHz with 64kb RAM. This was also the first computer I built.
    I also had TRS80's, System-80's and a VZ300 to play with.
    In 1986 he bought a Colex. It was a Z80 based (they also made 8086 version) multiprocessor and user. It had four banks of 64kB RAM. I think it was one for each processor.
    But it had something new, a 2MB Hard Disk Drive.

I was given my first PC for a birthday present in 1989,
    It was a Turbo XT 4MHz, 360k FDD, 256kB RAM with a massive 20MB HDD and a Hercules Monitor.
    This lasted about a year and then I got hold of an 80386+3C87 board 4MB RAM. I put a VGA monitor on it and a 100MB HDD
    That lasted me a long time and I lost track after 486 PC's and Pentiums came along. Computers are now so cheap I'm not even sure how many are in the house.

When I bought my first USB memory, it was 16MB, it was huge. Wow, this little thing is like 10 floppy disks !
    I just bought my first Terrabyte USB memory from the same shop. It cost me the same as as the 16MB did about 15 years ago.

Anybody want to guess what the first single unit PetaByte memory storage will be (HDD or solid state) and when we might see it ?

The first Terrabyte hard drive I saw was about 2 years ago, so by 2020 I think we should see 1PB drives.
    So about 500TB drives in about 5 years ?

Premium Member

Thanks

I can remember when they upgraded Dick Tracy from the 2 way radio watch to it having a video screen but I cant remember if it was able to transmit a picture as well as receive.
    While it was pure comic book fantasy, we were seeing advances being made with technology of things of the future, and while many were just fantasy and fell by the wayside, the few that reached completion have changed our lives in many ways.
    In fact they finally did make a TV watch some years ago and its direct descendent is todays Ipod, Iphone, Tablet etc..............so much for fantasy !!
    Obviously I am of your Father's generation so now as you have got older, you may understand how things you took as normal as you grew up were to our generation utterly amazing and the changes are continuing.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 22-06-13 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Taurus going too fast for you, Gordon ?

Because my first name is Gordon, as a kid I was often called 'Flash Gordon' after the very popular back then Sci Fi character which of course whose actions in the late 40's early 50's was quite impossible to believe as this was before the first Jet powered passenger aircraft (Comet) went into service.
    Even then in those old movie serials they had means of projecting images into 'thin air' , but at that time it was seen as an extension of the then fledgling Television but hinted of a more interesting concept.
    70 years have passed and what advances in technology we have seen in that time so I dont think this is too beyond belief......do you??
    Some links for you to drool over Gordon.

And at great expense to the Management !

[img]

Mummy told me to put my toys away and stop tantalising the poor Yokels!

Last edited by beer4life; 22-06-13 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks

Obviously I am of your Father's generation so now as you have got older, you may understand how things you took as normal as you grew up were to our generation utterly amazing and the changes are continuing.
    Hehehe ... if you were watching or rather listening to the flash gordon of his generation then it is now wonder your expectations are easily exceeded
    Ever noticed Flash Gordon lived in Ancient Rome.

I'm not so easily amazed by technology not so much because I came from the B&W TV generation (Gen X) but more because I've always lived on a step technology gradient.
    I can remember telling my primary school teacher I did my work on a computer. she said "What's a computer?"

I expect things like Petabyte Memory, so I'm not surprised to see them when they do occur. If petabyte memory is available when I say it will be, you won't find it as amazing as everybody else
    because you'll say... trash told me about that.

What amazes me is if an Exabyte drive is available in that time period.
    Colour LCD wasn't a surprise. Internet wasn't a surprise. While the media were still using the words "information superhighway" I was ditching my 2400bps shell account for a 9600 slip account.
    It's things like blue LED's surprised me. They caught me off guard.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post

It's things like blue LED's surprised me. They caught me off guard.
    Did the lecturer at UNI in the 80's tell you that blue LEDs were impossible?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Flash Gordon in my era was either in a comic book or at the 'Flicks' as a Saturday afternoon serial.
    I cant remember hearing it on the radio back then though even though I believe such a series existed.
    In 1955 all the primary school was taken to the old Town Hall for a Science demo and one item I well remember was this 3 foot long 'tube' or 'rod' about an inch in diameter that they put a torch at one end and shone the light through and they could bend and twist the tube and the light stayed inside the 'tube'.
    It was demonstrated basically as a party trick or a sort of interesting but no value science oddity.
    I cant remember now if they had a name for it but of course it was a section of Optic Fibre that now is an indispensable part of the ever expanding communication systems.
    There were a number of things there were emphatically stated as not being possible such as more than 8 numbers or characters in a HDD file name, 256 was a number to do with computers they said was the limit of some function (cant remember what now) but it was.