Thread: What smartphone VoIP do you use?

Thanks

Default What smartphone VoIP do you use?

Hi everyone.

I'm on a quest to find the best VoIP program for smartphones to call people overseas -- not for home usage. I have difficulty using VoIP using my internet at home because other people in the house always seem to hog the bandwidth, so I decided to just use my 3G connection to make my overseas landline calls.

So far I've tried a few different ones, but I think Global Call is probably one of the better ones so far. Of course, the call quality does suffer a bit when I'm trying to make a call during the afternoon during peak usage time (when my data connection slows down), but over all it's pretty good.

(Android: )
    (iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/globalcall-free-$1.50-credit/id577717588?l=en&mt=8)

I've tried Skype, and the quality was similar to Global Call, but the prices, I find, are much more expensive unless you opt for a monthly plan where you get 100 minutes for X dollars or something. (Skype will probably be the first link when you search for it, so I won't bother linking it here.)

Which ones do you guys use? I want to try a few myself before actually charging a significant amount of money on the app. Also, if you guys could try out Global Call yourself and let me know how it compares to your VoIP, that'd be awesome. (Or not. D: ) It gives you $1.50 for free to try out the app first.
    Last edited by kevinstory; 21-06-13 at 05:09 PM.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Acrobits softphone, works very well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinstory View Post
    Hi everyone.

I'm on a quest to find the best VoIP program for smartphones to call people overseas -- not for home usage. I have difficulty using VoIP using my internet at home because other people in the house always seem to hog the bandwidth, so I decided to just use my 3G connection to make my overseas landline calls.

So far I've tried a few different ones, but I think Global Call is probably one of the better ones so far. Of course, the call quality does suffer a bit when I'm trying to make a call during the afternoon during peak usage time (when my data connection slows down), but over all it's pretty good.

(iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/globalcall-free-$1.50-credit/id577717588?l=en&mt=8)

I've tried Skype, and the quality was similar to Global Call, but the prices, I find, are much more expensive unless you opt for a monthly plan where you get 100 minutes for X dollars or something. (Skype will probably be the first link when you search for it, so I won't bother linking it here.)

Which ones do you guys use? I want to try a few myself before actually charging a significant amount of money on the app. Also, if you guys could try out Global Call yourself and let me know how it compares to your VoIP, that'd be awesome. (Or not. D: ) It gives you $1.50 for free to try out the app first.

Thanks for sharing. This is exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks

I currently use Global Call and find it very interesting. It has many features and I love its interface. I will be using this for years to come.

Thanks

VOIP over 3G... i just don't think the minimum speed is there!!! i wonder if anyone have tried the 4G network apparently its much more faster.

I've tried many soft phones and apps over 3G via SIP trunks and believe if the bandwidth is not there none will work properly... best bet is to stick with Skype at least u can instant msg and Skype-Skype for free.

• 17-07-13, 03:37 PM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevinstory View Post
    Hi everyone.

I would advise you to go ahead and try talkatone. It's the best and it's free! It connects your google voice number to talkatone app and allows you to call persons living inside of the US and Cananda. The only problem is that you are restricted to just calling the united states and Canada; I don't live in the US or Canada. I recently experimented and found out that I can make local calls right here in my homeland free of cost. Should I tell you how I do it? Another time...

Thanks

I've used MyNetFone on the iPhone and it works flawlessly, and I got the voip sip reg. through maxotel. Give it a go

Thanks

can confirm mnf works well on iphone

Thanks

If you have access to a FreePBX box, you can use a program like Bria, that's what I setup at work. It allows my boss to travel to other countries for work, but still connect directly to the phone system over wifi wherever he is, so he can make local calls straight from the box.

Banned
    Thanks

iCall works good too on iPhone. Supports Bitcoin payment too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

This thread is 3 and a half years old and the OP hasn't been back since.

Closed.