Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SatKing DVBS2-800CA

Banned
    Thanks

Default SatKing DVBS2-800CA

As I have now sold nearly 20 of these to various users I thought some feedback would be useful to potential buyers. I will add info as it comes back from clients.
    To date I have had no negative comments from anyone, however I have a few myself.

The decoders come in very flimsy boxes which will be an issue for travellers who re-pack them when moving. The main packing cases (10) units are also very poor quality resulting in many boxes showing damage to box corners.
    The decoders are small and remain cool even after several hours use & recording.
    The power packs have nice long leads but have stupid lugs on each side to help insert or remove them. This makes it difficult or impossible to place any plugs in the adjacent socket.
    The remotes are good looking and work well, however the learning buttons can be difficult to get to work on some TVs especially the on/off button.
    The add on IR sensors are very good indeed being sensitive and include a small foam double sided sticker for mounting.
    I have had no reports of HDMI compatibility issues.
    When changing channels via the number keys the signal strength/quality window pops up for several seconds, this does not happen when using the epg.
    For travellers the signal finding page makes a load audible beep when only tuned into C1, a nice feature.
    No reports of recording issues as yet.
    Last edited by ags_; 23-06-13 at 10:43 AM. Reason: gramma/spelling

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ags_ For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

kevin1341 (23-06-13),marty 17 (23-06-13),mtv (23-06-13),OSIRUS (23-06-13),sat 49 (24-06-13),Smacca (24-06-13),Softek2 (23-06-13),Tiny (24-06-13),toyboy11 (02-07-13),transit (23-06-13)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I recently purchased 2 of these for my dad and his mate.
    In terms of end user simplicity these are 2nd to none. bright colourful easy to read and understandable menus.
    The setup took me a epic 3 mins which included the VAST registration and activation.
    HDMI worked out of the box as supposed to on dad's Sharp Aquos 70" Tv and same for his mates Onkyo Amp.
    Dads mate has RF cabling throughout his house to play on multiple TV's and the units have RF in/out and this side worked out of the box for him.
    As for the power brick I hate the little tabs on the side as well so I cheated. I employed my little cordless dremel and that issue was fixed.
    I found the packaging good enough and wouldn't have any problems travelling with this unit.

Size. Wow it is small. I placed it on top of my DSD4121 and it is about 1/2 the size.
    I would recommend this box to pretty much anyone who just wants VAST and isn't really worried about all the added fluff of the bigger humax etc etc.
    I tested the recording function briefly to a thumb drive and it worked the way is was supposed too.

I also managed to after a bit of programming, get the Logitech 1100i remote to work with it.

Hope this helps some of you in your choices.

Andy

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crootie For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (23-06-13),maudandken (23-06-13),mtv (23-06-13),OSIRUS (23-06-13),Tiny (24-06-13)

Thanks

How about someone posting a pic of the epg and maybe some other screens?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transit View Post
    How about someone posting a pic of the epg and maybe some other screens?
    some here

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ags_ For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (25-06-13),marty 17 (25-06-13),OSIRUS (25-06-13),transit (25-06-13)

Thanks

does this box have a flash memory for channels or does it do a rescan after power off like UEC DSD4121.

wxcooper

Thanks

Last edited by transit; 25-06-13 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Possibly incorrect info.

Thanks

Can anyone tell me whether it can record radio?

I gotta say that with the pvr function and the sat signal finder built in that this is the best featured single tuner model available at this time [not including the Humax non-pvr which really has 2 tuners].

Thanks

Not to mention that it's 12 Volt DC and it's remote can basically run your TV

Cheers
    Hos Here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wxcooper View Post
    does this box have a flash memory for channels or does it do a rescan after power off like UEC DSD4121.

wxcooper
    It holds it's memory whilst power is applied. if you disconnect it from the power point it will rescan. That said I did the config/scan at my house and then took them to dads and the rescan only took about 1 min.

Thanks

Does this box (or any VAST box for that matter) do DVB-S?

I'm guessing its locked to SVB-S2/whatever encryption VAST uses...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lameboyadvance View Post

All VAST decoders (and CAMS) regardless of manufacturer, can only be used with VAST channels, as they have custom firmware.

Technically, they are probably capable of doing a lot more, but they are locked to the VAST service only.

Thanks

All VAST boxes are required to have a DVB-S and DVB-S2 front end according to the VAST STB Certification Plan. Page 28 says:
    Transport Streams on the VAST™ Platform will either be modulated using the DVB-S2 or the DVB-S Standard.

Thanks

All VAST boxes are required to have a DVB-S and DVB-S2 front end according to the VAST STB Certification Plan. Page 28 says:
    Transport Streams on the VAST™ Platform will either be modulated using the DVB-S2 or the DVB-S Standard.
    But it still won't pick up non-VAST channels?

Thanks

But it still won't pick up non-VAST channels?
    That is correct. It is a requirement for VAST certification that non-VAST channels cannot be received. Here is the relevant section:
    A VAST™ STB shall not be capable of tuning any other non VAST™ platform
    services i.e. those services provided by a platform operator other than Optus.
    The Method to achieve this security feature is subject to agreement and, in
    the first instance, it will be necessary to complete a non-disclosure
    agreement between Optus and the proposed Supplier of VAST™ STBs.

All these restrictions are to maintain the "integrity" of the system:
    Thus it is a so called “horizontal market" and places demands on Optus as the platform
    operator, to maintain integrity of the system by allowing only STBs which have been “VASTTM
    Certified” and which continue to satisfy ongoing certification requirements, to operate with VAST TM

Personally, I don't think that OPTUS really makes a case for all the restrictions. While they do insure that VAST certified boxes do work ok [mostly] I don't see why non-certified boxes shouldn't be allowed provided buyers know that they are not certified and might have more problems than certified boxes. Surely anyone accessing VAST with a non-certified box will not impact certified box viewers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

lameboyadvance (01-07-13)

Thanks

...Does anyone have the pinout for the external IR module?

Looking at it its a 4 pole 3.5mm plug. Most setups I've seen use a 3 pole plug with one pole for 5v, another for gnd and the last for the IR signal (though what is where on the plug can vary greatly).

Thanks

Can you hide or skip channels on the Satking ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Like any VAST decoder, the authorisation on your smartcard determines what channels you get.

You can 'skip' channels by going directly to the desired channel by using the numeric keys on the remote, rather than the channel up/down method.

Banned
    Thanks

This is the dish setup guide I issue to all my caravan customers using the Satking decoder. I no longer sell the UEC decoder as the Satking has so many more attributes ie: C1 satfinder page Tone, Learning remote, IR sensor, Small footprint, Much lighter allowing easy wall or Tv mounting via sticky Velcro, accurate dish setup via state selection.

Satking Decoder Travellers Guide
    Switch on your Satking Decoder
    When Searching for signal message appears. { press Menu Twice }
    At Main Menu - Signal Finding is Highlighted. { press OK }
    Use number keys 2-8 to select your state.
    Use l/r - u/d keys to navigate to your area. { press OK Twice }
    Using your sat finder align your dish. { easier said than done }
    Only when C1 is aligned will the Phoenix emit a rapid beep.
    Press Ok to load your channels.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ags_ For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (06-07-13),Tiny (06-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

That is correct. It is a requirement for VAST certification that non-VAST channels cannot be received. Here is the relevant section:
    A VAST™ STB shall not be capable of tuning any other non VAST™ platform
    services i.e. those services provided by a platform operator other than Optus.
    The Method to achieve this security feature is subject to agreement and, in
    the first instance, it will be necessary to complete a non-disclosure
    agreement between Optus and the proposed Supplier of VAST™ STBs.

All these restrictions are to maintain the "integrity" of the system:
    Thus it is a so called “horizontal market" and places demands on Optus as the platform
    operator, to maintain integrity of the system by allowing only STBs which have been “VASTTM
    Certified” and which continue to satisfy ongoing certification requirements, to operate with VAST TM

Personally, I don't think that OPTUS really makes a case for all the restrictions. While they do insure that VAST certified boxes do work ok [mostly] I don't see why non-certified boxes shouldn't be allowed provided buyers know that they are not certified and might have more problems than certified boxes. Surely anyone accessing VAST with a non-certified box will not impact certified box viewers.
    I dont think Optus could care less or have made any stipulations regarding VAST other than it conforms to whatever technical standards are needed for them (Optus) to Uplink and Transmit the signal from the appropriate transponder.
    I am sure Optus would charge a customer the same fee to broadcast through the Satellite encrypted or not unless they (Optus) add it to the 'stream'.
    Program content would be the responsibility of the customer to ensure they are within any Copyright requirements or license agreements.
    I also cannot see either the ABC or SBS being concerned about who can see their signal as they cover Australia Wide by both Terrestrial and Satellite anyway.
    No, its the Commercial Broadcasters who I firmly believe are responsible for the military level encryption used on VAST for purely Financial reasons.
    A Broadcaster can now approach an advertiser and say they have a 'Proven Audience' of XXXX based on the sales of VAST certified STB's and the advertiser cant say in reply, 'But they can be watching Al Jazzerra or BBC world or Jumpin' Joes Hot dog makers' show because they CANT, plain and simple!!
    The encryption system used on VAST is all about Sporting Rights (MONEY) and Advertising.......
    Remember Encryption has nothing to do with Signal quality and certainly nothing to do with the quality of the programming shown (unfortunately).
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 06-07-13 at 03:50 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I also cannot see either the ABC or SBS being concerned about who can see their signal as they cover Australia Wide by both Terrestrial and Satellite anyway.
    Can anyone think of a good reason for ABC and SBS being encrypted?

• The Following User Says Thank You to transit For This Useful Post:

Tiny (06-07-13)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast