Thread: help needed with a Zenithink ZT-180 ePad

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default help needed with a Zenithink ZT-180 ePad

A friend has been given this 10.1 inch tablet called Zenithink ZT-180 ePad running 2.1 Android system, it has Wifi and accepts an external SD card etc.
    The little user manual takes a bit of reading and I am still trying to set up the Wifi side.
    One problem I have run into is the on screen keypad as it seems to be missing a few 'characters', one being the underscore '_'
    He was given this by one of his sons as he volunteers for the local Salvation Army and wanted to do some Bible Readings and as he has difficulty reading the small print (wont wear his glasses) it was thought as these tablets do Ebooks, he could download a copy of the Bible and increase the screen size to suit as well as its options regarding page progression etc.
    I have managed to reset the time and date but using this onscreen keyboard without the underscore is blocking me from accessing the Google Playstore.
    Anyone familiar with this devise who can give me info on how to use it please?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

ZT with android 4.0 dosen't have this problem.
    What apps are on it.?
    If you can access a browser you should be able to get to play store.

Premium Member

Thanks

WOW!!!, it never fails after you ask to find what you missed but as I started it to write out the apps shown I hit the browser and opened the keyboard and found its in 3 layers, not 2 and by pressing ALT I found the missing characters such as the underscore.
    So far I have managed to go one line and now trying to download an ebook reader and if that works, then a Bible, after that he can play with the damn thing..........

In the apps it doesnt have the google playstore listed so I am wondering if this model preceeds that APP.

Its fairly slow responding and when typing on the keyboard, you have to wait untill you see the letter before pressing the next.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

I use this one on my tablet

Premium Member

Thanks

I have that on my wifes Bauhn (aldi) tablet along with some 600 books another member sent me.
    But at the moment its playing silly buggers and wants me to sign in for Google but it doesnt seem to want to recognise the name and its wont let me set up a new account in the owners name so thats aggravating me somewhat.
    Now I know I am online because I can open Yahoo and see the apps in the playstore.
    #######################
    I have been trying for over an hour to set up a google account as the playstore app wont let me download without one, I have used mine and I created one for the owner but the bloody thing refuses to connect to the 'Google Server' so I am at a standstill presently.
    It wont even let me now access the one I created for the owner, I keep getting it cant connect to the 'Google Server' but it is online as I have gone and surfed the net no problems.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-06-13 at 04:43 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I never use Google play. Always download and install the APK files directly.

This reader works well with the ZT180 (and every other Android, for me it's by far the best)

Further down you will find the link for direct download.

For PDF files this version of EZPDF should still run on Android 2.1

Yes, I own a ZT180. It was my first tablet that was affordable back then and I was pretty disappointed with it. Had troubles with Wifi too, ripped it apart changed hardware( I remember soldered the guts from a usb dongle into it), doubled up the battery (the seller gave me a second one after I complained about battery life).

I flashed a better firmware onto it. 2.2 definitely worked. Maybe that fixed also the Wifi, can't remember exactly. I also can't remember if the original firmware even had a file manager. You can not install APK files without one. All the custom ROM files had one.

I found that this was the best forum for mods to help get things right:

If you are getting some kind of internet but no Google account, it might help just to do a factory reset, which should be explained on that forum somewhere.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

Sounds good but this isnt mine to 'attack' nor do I really want to.
    It seems to surf the Internet to a degree as I checked my yahoo email and some other sites but the Google log-in just refuses and it seems on the 'download' bar to stop about an inch before the end and just sit there.
    The download does finish most times but it seems interminably slow, worse than 'Dial-Up'.
    Its only use my friend would have for it would be as a 'reader' for Bible verses and while thats what suits him perfectly, I have enough to contend with keeping my own devises running without taking this on as well.
    If I can install that first program (Cool reader) and download a Bible version for him will see me out.

Premium Member

Thanks

I just tried to login to Austech and AGAIN it keeps wanting me to sign in via a Google account,same message with Youtube and others and if you do (waste of time) it then goes off and finally tells me it cant establish a 'reliable' connection'.
    Its starting to make me think there may be a 'password' hidden away somewhere.
    Enclosed in the box is a letter from the seller advising that 'Android Market is pre-installed' and gives a 'login' and User' name but all I get is the same 'Cant connect' etc response when I entered it which is bloody annoying.
    I had a look through the 'Supported devises' but I couldnt find Zenithink listed there.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I have seen in a few Android devices, that Google login details can not be changed unless factory reset. The owner might have given the wrong details but more likely you trying to change it stuffed things up, happened to me too Apparently the factory reset does not work in earlier versions of the ROM in that pad.
    Woah, I just dug up the the user Manual from my ZT180 (it is so tiny I never read it before) and it mentions a File manger called I/O.
    Your saved. No need for Google. Copy via USB (or use a micro SD card) the Coolreader.apk, Bible file and EZPDF.apk (in case the Bible is a PDF) .
    Check the box “Allow installation from third party” in the settings
    Click on the .apk files in the file manger to install them and the device is blessed.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...