Thread: Reasonable priced tablet

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Reasonable priced tablet

I have no affiliation, just get these offers via newsletter email.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

In all honesty, I think these cheap tablets are just not worth purchasing anymore.

A while ago, there was a considerable price difference between brand name and generic chinese stuff. That price gap has closed to the point that I would buy brand name anyday.

Personally, for good bang for buck on that size and spec I would go for a Samsung Galaxy tab at $196

No doubt you can get a better price haggling. My wife has one and a mate has one and both are very happy.

But even if you wanted to go cheaper, Acer Iconica at $104.50 with cashback.

A lot of the cheap tablets are thick and heavy and have poor battery life. The original one in this thread has battery stated at Battery working time: Up to 2.0hours of surfing the web using data network, 1 hour for video playing with earphone, 2 hours for audio playing

To me, its just not worth it as there are plenty of tabs out there with 8 hour battery life.

Having said that, there are people that will go and buy items like this purely on price so I am just posting the downfalls. I personally have Samsung Galaxy Tab 1 10 inch which I have had for quite a while now and it has been a fantastic buy. I can go out for the day and never have to worry about battery life and its nice and thin and light.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

viewer (28-06-13)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    A lot of the cheap tablets are thick and heavy and have poor battery life. The original one in this thread has battery stated at Battery working time: Up to 2.0hours of surfing the web using data network, 1 hour for video playing with earphone, 2 hours for audio playing
    Woops...I missed that badly didn't I.

That type of battery power is useless.

Sorry 'bout that.

Administrator
    Thanks

No stress viewer, your only posting it up, not selling them While my post probably sounds a bit overly critical (and possibly is), I just like people to know the downfalls.

I noticed one guy in a review said the battery life wasnt too bad I dunno what he was comparing it to ? That would be poor battery life for a laptop.

More than likely this is why they are being unloaded cheap. I also noticed that all the reviews for it saying its great are from older people who perhaps are not too tech savvy and dont have anything to compare it to.

Thanks

Though I agree with you admin that you essentially get what you pay for, I disagree that cheap tablets are not worth buying. I purchased an inexpensive Hipstreet Titan tablet for around $100. It is lacking when compared to a high end Nexus but it serves its purpose. The Hip street can not run Grand Theft Auto Vice City or other demanding apps due to its low processing speeds so for gaming purposes I would recommend getting a name brand tablet. However, my tablet runs ideally in all other categories such as the battery life, video and music play back etc.

• The Following User Says Thank You to blaze4545 For This Useful Post:

jwoegerbauer (01-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Its like the old saying, 'Horses for Courses'.
    Ther are those who only want high end graphics for gaming and video and havent a clue how to use spreadsheets or word processors to those like my friend who simply wants to use the bigger screen as an Ereader for just one book or as a 'Big Screen' GPS would you believe.
    Then we have the over enthusiastic 'Brand' advertisers who both inflate the price and the devises capabilities.
    Revues can be informative but can be meaningless to most users when they get down to splitting microseconds of CPU processing ability.
    While there is no doubt there is rubbish on the market, regretably today the yardstick of both Brand Name and Price are no longer indicators of the ability or quality of the devise.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

It depends what people call good battery life. Being able to use a tablet all day (8+) hours is what I call good battery life, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a 7000 mah battery.. Some people call 3 hours great.
    Size and weight are the same. I dont want to use a tablet that is heavy and thick as a brick. My Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 is 9.7 mm thick and weighs 587 grams...... good specs for its size.

I have rooms full of cheap broken shit that I bought on price, thinking that saving a buck was a great idea. I ditched that idea about 2-3 years ago after seeing that the only things still running are brand name items. Cheap chinese junk is a bin job as soon as something goes wrong, warranty is a pain and even if the supplier does give warranty, they dont fix the item, they just give you another and hope the same thing doesnt happen. Quality control.....chinese no name arent big on it at all.

As with original comparison between the original post and (my) post 2.......what would you buy a chinese no name when you can either :

A. Buy an Acer Iconica cheaper $65 cheaper (though its now gone off special....its not hard to find a brand name on special and then haggle more off it)

B. Buy a quality tablet like a Samsung Galaxy tab for $196 (thats listed price, haggling gets you plenty off the price at JB, HN and other retailers)

Personally, I think anyone that would buy cheap chinese junk to save a sum as low as $30 needs their head read......or enjoys the bottom end of user enjoyment.

Thanks

I found one called Coby. It's from the US and it's quite good. It only costs around $70. Not bad because you can play here any type of files, just like how you would in a computer. Very sleek look as well. We've had one for months already and still very ok.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wander_n_wonder View Post
    I found one called Coby. It's from the US and it's quite good. It only costs around $70
    actually it's a Chinese brand, company has now closed so no ongoing support for that one unfortunately

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    actually it's a Chinese brand, company has now closed so no ongoing support for that one unfortunately
    It's not a Chinese brand. You would see in the pack that it's from the US and there's a contact number in the US as well. If you are in the US, you would see a lot of it in the shops. This works well for us so far.

Thanks

Coby is a Chinese brand, having an office in New York doesn't change that, moot point though as they went broke a couple of months ago, was a 19 year old business too

Thanks

Then how come they still continue to sell if they have been broke a couple of months ago already? Was there a takeover that happened? It's still very much available in the US and even in other countries. Or those are just leftover stock?

Thanks

It would just be the tail end of whatever stock they had, they had over 2000 wholesale customers in the US so no doubt there would still be a lot of stock still

Thanks

Copy and pasted from another site, but here's the scoop on Coby:

Coby Electronics Corporation was a manufacturer of consumer electronics products headquartered in Lake Success, New York, with offices and factories around the world (including the United States, Mexico, and China). With the joint efforts of Coby Electronics Co. of Hong Kong and Coby Electronics Corp. of the United States the products have reached consumers in Asia, North America, South America and Europe;[1] however, the company mostly sells in Europe and the United States. Coby also serves as an OEM manufacturer for brands including Samsung, NEC, RadioShack's Presidian brand and Hyundai. Coby formerly provided OEM manufacturing for Daewoo, which is now defunct.

Coby closed its doors in the summer of 2013 due to financial trouble. Gordon Brothers Group acquired some assets formerly owned by Coby Electronics. Gordon Brothers Group did not purcahse liabilities such as customer warranties.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Its extremely rare to see a manufacture 'Go Broke' without having some inventory left over which are then sold off to recover what ever they can.
    There was a place I go to where they appear to obtain goods from 'Distressed Companies' this way and for those in Australia who remember the Mobile phone company 'OneTel' and 'Ansett Airways', both of whom went down the gurgler big time several years ago now, I saw and bought odd bits and pieces from both at this place.
    'OneTel' mouse mats,Ball point pens,note pads, Ansett cups, headsets,blankets,food trays and storage units by the pallet load.
    The catch in buying an item like a those made by Colby is eventually there will be no support once the last items are sold.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspertarian View Post
    Copy and pasted from another site, but here's the scoop on Coby:

Coby Electronics Corporation was a manufacturer of consumer electronics products headquartered in Lake Success, New York, with offices and factories around the world (including the United States, Mexico, and China). With the joint efforts of Coby Electronics Co. of Hong Kong and Coby Electronics Corp. of the United States the products have reached consumers in Asia, North America, South America and Europe;[1] however, the company mostly sells in Europe and the United States. Coby also serves as an OEM manufacturer for brands including Samsung, NEC, RadioShack's Presidian brand and Hyundai. Coby formerly provided OEM manufacturing for Daewoo, which is now defunct.

Coby closed its doors in the summer of 2013 due to financial trouble. Gordon Brothers Group acquired some assets formerly owned by Coby Electronics. Gordon Brothers Group did not purcahse liabilities such as customer warranties.
    I think there's been a bit of artistic license taken with the announcement, someone has seen the opportunity in buying a recognized brand for next to nothing and will pump out their own goods under that label, whatever they start selling under the same name won't have any relationship to the prior products, that could be good or bad though, time will tell

Thanks

I used to believe that cheap tablets are not worth it until I came across those Coby tablets. I bought one of them at about $90 only and I'm so impressed. It works so much like a computer. I can do my excel sheets directly into it and save to my USB directly as well. I can view files from my computer through a USB too. I do not need to do any file sharing through wifi just to transfer the files to my tablet. I even prefer my Coby tablet as compared to my iPad.

Thanks

I brought the cheap $99 kmart audosonic 7" tablets for the kids, I took them back a few days later and went and bought samsung tab 3 7", the kmart ones worked well but the battery life was very short, about 1 hour playing games, the samsung tab 3 are well worth the extra $$$$ and the battery lasts for hours

Thanks

The only problem with buying cheap tablets is that you might be disappointed when it comes to performance. Sometimes they will hang or just to not work after only a few months of using them. I would stick to Samsung tablets that are mid priced.