Thread: Fallout 3 Banned in Australia

Thanks

Default Fallout 3 Banned in Australia

If you don't know yet, Fallout 3 has been officially banned in Australia by the OFLC. Starting from the initial rumors we all wanted to downplay as myth:

To the official announcement by the OFLC that the game has indeed been reviewed and refused classification (RC) in Australia:

To the rather banal reasoning given to the public as to why the game is not acceptable for release:

... the game is officially not coming out in our great southern land; at least not in its intended, unadulterated state. I for one am extremely disappointed with this news, as I have already pre-ordered and paid for the collectors edition, which may not even be sold anymore. I will most likely get my money back, but I have two questions for the good people of this board.

1. Do you believe that the classification (or refusal thereof) of Fallout 3 is just for the drug themes that play an integral part in the gameplay (as it did in the first two parts)?

2. What are some ways to get the unedited (read: U.S.A.) version of this game?

The second question is relevant only because it is my personal understanding that if one orders a game from the U.S.A. that has been refused classification in Australia, customs will confiscate it. I know that downloading from a vendor like Steam is an option, but I really want a hard-copy with the disc and bonus stuff... as I'm sure most of you do as well.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post

The second question is relevant only because it is my personal understanding that if one orders a game from the U.S.A. that has been refused classification in Australia, customs will confiscate it. I know that downloading from a vendor like Steam is an option, but I really want a hard-copy with the disc and bonus stuff... as I'm sure most of you do as well.
    I never got into the series, but i seriously doubt they would check the contents of every package - the group you order from would probably just mark it with a generic name (if it has to be named) so it doesn't draw attention...could probably order it from playasia or one of those sites. If you're really paranoid, could use a site like priceusa and get them to repackage it.

People give customs too much credit, i've ordered plants from overseas (not little seeds) and they have gotten through each time....

RHCP.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about customs too much as long as your supplier will send it to you without labeling it as fallout 3.

If I can order in a banned toy replica gun without any problems you should be able to sneak a dvd or two passed the xray machines

Thanks

Ok, seeing as both of you guys (RHCP and bucket) has successfully thwarted the customs system, I suppose I shall attempt to purchase it from an American vendor. Although, I don't think it'll be a very good idea for me to order the Collectors or Survival edition as a big metal box with a clock in it may send the troops in for a closer look =).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phobius View Post
    To the rather banal reasoning given to the public as to why the game is not acceptable for release:

... the game is officially not coming out in our great southern land; at least not in its intended, unadulterated state. I for one am extremely disappointed with this news, as I have already pre-ordered and paid for the collectors edition, which may not even be sold anymore. I will most likely get my money back, but I have two questions for the good people of this board.

1. Do you believe that the classification (or refusal thereof) of Fallout 3 is just for the drug themes that play an integral part in the gameplay (as it did in the first two parts)?
    There has been a closer examination of the ratings board in recent times. As for the banning of the game because it uses a restriced substance, this is inline with previous decisions that they have made banning games such a Vietnam:1969 (I think thats the title), Blitz the League and Narc. If there is "reward" or a way of using the drug to improve yourself in the game it will instantly get an RC, which is exactly the way it works in Fallout 3. Whilst it might be an integral part of the game, the rating board has rules set down by the Federal and State Governments (yes both governments do the policy now) and it has followed them to the letter. It would be interesting to see what they did if they named the drug something else, it maybe allowed then (e.g. Haze). I'm guessing this will be the first action by Bethesda software to get around the problem of the classification.

Personally I think anyone who hasn't written to the Classification board and their local member as well as the Attorney General for their state, shouldn't be whinging about ratings. I remember posting here suggesting people write in to the review board when they had their chance (it was last year or the year before) because they were looking at reviewing policy and instigating an R rating. From memory I only got a couple of people interested in doing so, so I guess the gamers get what we deserve. BTW I dont agree with the policy, but its the law Johnnie Howard installed, so its the one we have to follow unless we make our voices loud enough.

The second question is relevant only because it is my personal understanding that if one orders a game from the U.S.A. that has been refused classification in Australia, customs will confiscate it. I know that downloading from a vendor like Steam is an option, but I really want a hard-copy with the disc and bonus stuff... as I'm sure most of you do as well.[/QUOTE]

Got a mate going overseas then you could get it that way, probably eaiser to smuggle it back in. But like it was said before just buy it from another country and get it in that way. I would expect the game will be done exactly the same, its just Morphine will be called "Panadol" or something (hmm there is a nice way of marketing, sell the drug rights off to a company).
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Got a mate going overseas then you could get it that way, probably easier to smuggle it back in. But like it was said before just buy it from another country and get it in that way.
    try a pm to a forum member like Jonc, who lives in thailand......

i am sure there are patched pirate copies over there by now....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rougefan
    Personally I think anyone who hasn't written to the Classification board and their local member as well as the Attorney General for their state, shouldn't be whinging about ratings. I remember posting here suggesting people write in to the review board when they had their chance (it was last year or the year before) because they were looking at reviewing policy and instigating an R rating. From memory I only got a couple of people interested in doing so, so I guess the gamers get what we deserve. BTW I dont agree with the policy, but its the law Johnnie Howard installed, so its the one we have to follow unless we make our voices loud enough.
    Didn't think it was a Johnnie problem, Isn't the standing commitee of AGs currently reviewing community feedback on this? I thought they the ones who are required to push through a ratings change.

As far as I can tell, people can write and protest themselves until their fingers fall off. As long as Michael Atkinson is an AG we wont be seeing an R rating for games.

If there is "reward" or a way of using the drug to improve yourself in the game it will instantly get an RC
    Biohazard made it through & you can kill babies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Didn't think it was a Johnnie problem, Isn't the standing commitee of AGs currently reviewing community feedback on this? I thought they the ones who are required to push through a ratings change.
    Actually he made the initial laws, and the Federal government still has the major choice in the guidance of the censorship laws in Australia. You are right there is a push from a lot of state AGs to review the R rating, and this has been increased with the change in government too because the Labor party actually agree with the R rating, but wont rush it (not with Family First in the senate

As far as I can tell, people can write and protest themselves until their fingers fall off. As long as Michael Atkinson is an AG we wont be seeing an R rating for games.
    Yea he is a big problem. I'm hoping for a reshuffle, but I have a funny feeling because of the power of Family First in SA that no matter what happens with a reshuffle it will still be the same. As for writing and making your opinion knows, thats what the people against the R rating do, whilst the proportion who support it do not. Which do you thing gets noticed. Writing actually does get things changed.

Biohazard made it through & you can kill babies.
    Yes but where was the illict drug? You harvested a "drug" from the babies, I'll agree but it was never specified which drug. I think the ratings board have more problems because its "Morphine" than it being an actual drug. If it was "Cure all" then it would probably get through, without an eyelid being batted. Oh I assume you mean Bioshock, BTW no "drug" comment on the labelling.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Yeah sorry, bioshock. The thing that worries me the most is Atkinson is an ALP member. When you remove the "small business owners" versus "working families" thing from modern two party politics they are both just two versions of Neo cons, which doesn't look good.

I'd be very interested to know where the AGs are getting their community feedback. I read through the minutes of the meeting a while back, but buggered if I know anyone who has been asked what they think about it, or where you can submit your feedback to them.

Thanks

Yeah sorry, bioshock. The thing that worries me the most is Atkinson is an ALP member. When you remove the "small business owners" versus "working families" thing from modern two party politics they are both just two versions of Neo cons, which doesn't look good.
    Yes I'd agree with you on that comment, its why I'm hopeful that the rumours that are swirling around at the moment are true, that there is a reshuffle coming.

I'd be very interested to know where the AGs are getting their community feedback. I read through the minutes of the meeting a while back, but buggered if I know anyone who has been asked what they think about it, or where you can submit your feedback to them.
    Most Politicans get their feedback through the crap that comes to them through their offices. Only LOUD people get noticed, actually it should be persistant people get noticed, thus like I said eariler, the ones that write the letters and keep going get noticed. I know this purely from experience with my local Federal member (who I've seen more of now he is in oppisition!)

Thanks

About two years ago i purchased "Postal 2" which is actually illegal to own in Australia.

I simply bought it off a seller on Ebay. :|

No hassles.