Thread: Cutting Power Bills by paying 12 times MORE !!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Cutting Power Bills by paying 12 times MORE !!

This article appeared in the Sydney Daily Telegraph on Saturday 6 of July by John Rolfe, Cost of Living Editor.
    I cant post a link although there may be one nor am I going to type in the whole article which is about a third of a page in size.
    The article starts as follows.
    'House holds could receive lower electricity rates in return for enduring sharp price increases during peak demand times in a radical strategy to contain Power bills.
    They could also be paid to go without Air Conditioning'.
    The article goes on to say this is already being trialed in 'South East Australia by Energy Australia and they are charging households 12 times the normal price of Power for up to 14 times per year'.
    The rates quoted under this scheme show the price of power rises to $3.30 compared with the 'standard' rate of around $0.27 per kwh (27 cents).
    They quote that to use the power 'during a Peak Event' could be as much as $34 and to use the washing machine for ONE hour would be another $35.
    There is a mention in this article of when and how long a 'Peak event' is but not how they calculate the time and amount used but my guess is by a SMART meter.
    Apparently your are notified '2 days before the Event and are given a 53% off the Peak price you would otherwise pay between 2 and 8pm on weekdays'

As usual my 'Skepticism Meter' clicked in while I was reading this and as usual as I have never heard of any business being there for my benefit, I believe this carrot on the end of the stick may not be as good to eat as it looks.

I do recommend trying to find the article and reading it as it has much more detail which I think is very important to all power users.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 07-07-13 at 01:14 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Here's a link to the story:

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (07-07-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Here's the full article Gordon.

A piece of cake.

IN a radical strategy to contain power bills, households would get lower rates in return for enduring short, but sharp, price increases when demand is at its highest. They could also be paid to go without air-conditioning.
    EnergyAustralia, which has 2.8 million customers in southeast Australia, is trialling charging households more than 12 times the normal price of power up to 14 times a year in two-hour "dynamic peak events''.
    In these events, the price of a kilowatt hour (kWh) of power rises to $3.30. By comparison, customers on standard flat-rate tariffs pays less than 27c/kWh.
    It means the cost of running reverse-cycle air-conditioning during the "peak event" could be as much as $34. Use the dishwasher for an hour and it will be another $5.
    Participants are given two days' warning - and 53 per cent off the peak price they would otherwise pay from 2-8pm on weekdays.
    Households that have chosen to participate in the trials used a third less power in the "peak events" but more at other times.
    "So on the surface those customers in the trial are enjoying a more comfortable lifestyle outside those small number of trial periods,'' said EnergyAustralia retail manager Adrian Merrick.
    EnergyAustralia is also gauging customer willingness to allow their aircon's compressor to be switched off during "peak events'' in return for up to $44 as many as six times a year.
    Other energy providers, such as WA's Western Power and SA Power Networks, have also run trials in which they've turned off volunteer households' aircon. This helped cut peak energy usage by up to 25 per cent and 35 per cent respectively.
    While they are understood to be reluctant to go beyond trials, EnergyAustralia wants to bring its tariff plans to market. However, there is a significant problem.
    In the real world, "peak events" occur on extremely hot days. Yet in the EnergyAustralia trials no event had been run when the temperature was 37C or above.
    The safeguard is meant to be that participation would be voluntary. But the Consumer Utilities Advocacy Centre has serious concerns, particular for the unwell and new parents.
    "If electricity affordability is a big issue for them they may well opt in without realising the potential welfare impact if they have a health condition or children," said CUAC executive office Jo Benvenuti.
    Rules that permit Critical Peak Pricing (CPP) and Critical Peak Rebates (CPR) have only recently been adopted in NSW, South Australia, Tasmania and the ACT. The rest of the country is expected to follow shortly.
    A spokesman for the Federal Department of Energy said: "The Government believes that the introduction of both CPP and CPR contracts may potentially offer significant gains, with minimum risks for consumers, including many low income consumers.
    "However ... these tariffs may not suit every household, hence the Government's view that the use of these products should be entirely voluntary and subject to the explicit informed consent of the customer."
    ###
    Last edited by beer4life; 07-07-13 at 01:59 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (07-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thank you B4life, like MTV you did this without your fingers ever leaving your hands, Fantastic !!
    Have ONE on me..........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

beer4life (07-07-13)