Thread: Vu+ Ultimo - Dependent on HDMI lead to function.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Vu+ Ultimo - Dependent on HDMI lead to function.

Seems my Vu+ Ultimo is suffering a strange problem.

When the HDMI lead powers down (IE: The Amplifier or TV is turned off), it causes the Video and Audio Transport Stream to crumble or fail completely in the Vu.

Even just removing the HDMI cable completely from the Amplifier end (leaving it plugged in to the Vu) will do the same.

I can log into the Vu and try and stream what ever is playing, and its all breaking up, stopping starting, like a bad signal, but its not that, its a failing TS stream at board level. Recordings are the same as streaming, all blocky and failing)

Plug the HDMI lead back into the Amp (so it gets some power) and Presto, the VU is perfect again.

Any ideas?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

similar problem?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Pretty much.

Not sure if it is a HDMI "power off" situation or what?
    I thought it may have been a CEC HDMI code, but i can duplicate the same results just buy removing the HDMI lead from the Amp end before i even turn my TV and Amp off.

It seems finicky, last night i had it not showing the problem if the Vu was left on Channel 7 DVB-T when the other units were turned off.
    If i left it on Channel 10 or ONE HD, the problem occurred

Very strange

I reset the TV, did not fix the problem (i thought it did, but it soon returned)

I am almost down to connecting the Vu with analogue leads and ditching any HDMI connection.
    Ive swapped leads, reversed leads, completely removed leads.... problem still exists.

Seems the Vu needs an ACTIVE HDMI connection to keep the Video and Audio Transport Stream running error free, even deep inside the box itself, where the recording and streaming takes place from.

Would be nice to see the logfile of any CEC codes sent to the box.
    But, when i just remove the HDMI lead (while all is running), how would a code get back to the box anyway?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 08-07-13 at 09:42 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Have a Uno with latest BH which every so often the recordings would break up. Thought it was a tuner problem. Re-installing the image fixed it for a while but it came back.
    Tried the latest VIX image and the problem went away.
    Very strange.

Premium Member
    Thanks

That's is EXACTLY how it all started for me!!!!!
    I thought it was a tuner issue, as that is what it looks like when you play it back. All broken up image, comes and goes...

But it seems, it is some other strange anomaly that shuts the Transport Stream down.

I am about to update to the latest BH... If that fails, I'll try what you've done.

Thank You
    Last edited by ol' boy; 08-07-13 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks

I used Meoboot to load the latest VIX image. I had two problems, one not being able to access On Demand and the other the break up problem.I really wanted to check out On Demand but this still did not work. I've since discovered that it was my ISP ( I have NBN Sat )that was blocking it,they have now been able to fix it for me at a small monthly cost and many calls to their help line.
    I was really surprised when I no longer had the break up problem. Would assume it is a problem with the BH image.I don't remember a problem with 1.7.9 but after upgrading to 2.0.1 and finally 2.0.3 I gave up and installed VIX.
    In fact I now prefer VIX to BH. The On Demand plug in is a lot faster in loading programs and ABC I view even works.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dixons For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-07-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok, i am not sure if my problem is totally relatable to yours now.
    I did a new test.

I connected the Vu+ Ultimo directly to my Sony Bravia TV via HDMI (Not going through Yamaha Amp, but i still have an Optical and RCA leads from the Vu to Amp)

I turned the Sony TV OFF... and to my surprise, in 20-25seconds, it turns off my Yamaha Amp!!! What the? They are not even connected, apart from Optical and RCA.

So from that, all i can understand is the Sony TV sends a CEC-HDMI code to turn off the Vu+, then in 20-25seconds the Vu+ shuts down its Video Audio outputs (streaming and/or Recording Stops), One second after that, there is an audible click in the Sony TV (Relay).

Final TEST, total disconnect the Vu from the Sony TV altogether (HDMI removed)
    The only cable connected to the TV is the power cable and Antenna cable
    The only cable connected to the Vu is a power cable, LNB, LAN.

Start Streaming to my laptop (streaming running)
    Turn TV OFF
    20-25 seconds pass, Streaming Stops, Sony TV Clicks

Shake my head in amazement.....

Turn Sony TV back on (using OEM remote), Streaming starts immediately

What the?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 08-07-13 at 07:30 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

What process of errors!

Turns out all this time, it was the FTA TV cable!!

How so.... Turns out i had my Antenna lead going through the Sony TV "Loop" connection and then to the Vu+ Ultimo's DVB-T tuner.

I'd turn the Sony TV off, and after 20-25seconds this relay clicked at the back of the TV, something that is a rather newish occurrence.
    Turns out, this "Click" breaks the connection in the RF output from the TV's 75ohm loop connection.
    Hence, the signal drops out to the Vu+... and thus, no Sound or Video.

I could smash my head against a wall!!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (08-07-13),weirdo (08-07-13)

Banned

Thanks

Chasing faults eh .

Very challenging and I use to love it when I was working but every now and again you had one that had you stumped and this one was a real doosie.

Well done.

• The Following User Says Thank You to marty 17 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (08-07-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I tell ya Marty, i was pretty much at the point of doubting my own ability to diagnose a fault, or even understand what i was doing, i was close to just throwing the towel in and deciding i was getting to old for this shit.

It has taken 3 months.... It was a collection of events, some that occurred over time and did not happen every time.

I probably could have just pulled everything apart and rebuilt it all, but it had me... i had to find out what it was

That fault has cost me many a Moto GP and F1 recording..... Technology!!! Ya Bitch!!!!

The fact that it didn't completely break the RF signal had me big time, sometimes it would work, other times pixelate the recording/picture, would work on some Channels and not others (obviously the Ch7 had a strong signal), then a lot of times, not work at all.

What a Head F#$k
    Last edited by ol' boy; 08-07-13 at 08:41 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

What process of errors!

Turns out all this time, it was the FTA TV cable!!

How so.... Turns out i had my Antenna lead going through the Sony TV "Loop" connection and then to the Vu+ Ultimo's DVB-T tuner.

I'd turn the Sony TV off, and after 20-25seconds this relay clicked at the back of the TV, something that is a rather newish occurrence.
    Turns out, this "Click" breaks the connection in the RF output from the TV's 75ohm loop connection.
    Hence, the signal drops out to the Vu+... and thus, no Sound or Video.

I could smash my head against a wall!!!
    This would not have gone down well if we still had VCR's and you looped through the TV to the VCR.
    What about if for convenience you cabled through that TV to another TV or other devise that now cant work unless that one is turned on?
    To me turning off the Pass Through is as useless as the PVR feature on most TV's that only records while the TV itself is turned on which means if you want a recording done during the night, the TV must be blazing away.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thats how it was Gordon, i should have routed my RF TV cable through the Vu+ Ultimos Tuners "Loop" terminals FIRST, which it now is.
    But as the Vu Ultimo was purchased last, it just got retro fitted in... And it worked fine for a period of time, until the TV started this weird relay click 20-25seconds after it's turned off.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 08-07-13 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks

Glad you have it sorted. Perhaps mine is not related to the image. Will re-check all my connections as I have noticed that the signal on ABC D1 is all over the place, ranging from 45% to 95%. However the SBS signal is OK, very strange.Perhaps a DiSEqC problem? Have three sats D3,D2 and D1 connected will investigate.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mate, i am suffering the same type of problem with Intelsat 18 and the Canal+ transponders myself.... It never ends!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

dixons (10-07-13)