Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cars and trucks from early to mid 1900's

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Great pics admin.

A wonderful recording of family history and history in general.
    Its been fun to get to personally go though a lot of it. Some interesting, some funny, same sad. My grandfather kept a war diary that a lot of the family didnt even know about (including me) until a couple of weeks ago. It has now been transcribed and typed up and has been an interesting read, not just for the action sections, but to also see the general boredom that soldiers could suffer from.

I think its also good for younger members to have a look at the contrast between then and now, and how hard people had to work for things compared to todays standards.

I still have that ton of negatives to look through, there might still be some more car and trucks ones in there. Its just trying to find the time to do it all

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (11-07-13),mtv (11-07-13),OSIRUS (11-07-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    by the amount of weapons there I'd say it's most likely the getaway car
    I was going to click thanks, but the button is gone so I must have hit my limit

Yep, some big farming families on my mums maternal side, imagine the hard work of life with large families like 14 children etc and the financial struggles. These days, if you had 14 kids you would be a centrelink millionaire

Anyone know what Gerbetron's car pic is ? Its a bit of a sporty number.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Anyone know what Gerbetron's car pic is ? Its a bit of a sporty number.
    Pommy car by the looks of it, kind of thing my Dad would know, he was a bit of a car enthusiast back in the early days, he's in his mid 80's now and still likes old cars, planes etc of the era and has a bit of a collection of pics as well, I'll get through them one of these days, cool stuff anyway, keep posting what you have please as it's very interesting

there's a site here with some really high quality war era photos if anyone is interested in that sort of stuff

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HILLVIEW103 View Post
    Did you serve in Vietnam Hillview ? Noticed the 6RAR stamp and date stamp.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    Pommy car by the looks of it, kind of thing my Dad would know, he was a bit of a car enthusiast back in the early days, he's in his mid 80's now and still likes old cars, planes etc of the era and has a bit of a collection of pics as well, I'll get through them one of these days, cool stuff anyway, keep posting what you have please as it's very interesting
    Its hard to keep it on topic from my perspective, being military is more my interest than cars (although both interest me). And that most pics I have (except for the first) arent just of cars only like we tended to start taking a bit more in later decades. Some have so many people in them that it gets hard to actually see the car

there's a site here with some really high quality war era photos if anyone is interested in that sort of stuff
    Have bookmarked him for a later look, cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

@ gerbertron, i cant see the radiator mascot properly, but if its a lady with her arms behind her its most likely a buick,

• The Following User Says Thank You to mango For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (11-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Anyone remember the US Magazine, Popular Mechanics printed until some time into the 50's and it had a section aimed at the motorist of the day called 'Toms Garage' or similar and it gave hints and tips on motoring.
    One item I remember was of a 'Traveling Salesman' who on getting a new car for his run used to coat the car in GREASE, yes, GREASE !!!
    The idea being in that very Pre WW2 era, the majority of roads were all dirt, even in small to medium towns and by coating the car, he preserved the paint work until it was time to change cars and he would then strip off the grease to reveal an almost unblemished bodywork.
    There were tips on doing the points, plugs, checking the spark and ensuring the generator hadnt reversed its polarity which they sometimes did.
    Back then people stayed at places called 'Motor Courts', the precurser of todays Motels and if you ever see the the Movie, It Happened One Night, made in the 30's with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert, it shows how rudimentary they were, simple unlined walls and if you sneezed, the people 4 rooms down said 'Bless You!!!!
    My late Great Uncle Harry was a 'mechanic' of sorts and my G'mother told me if someone brought in their car with a problem on a Friday to the garage where he 'worked', if the car was a nice one, he would 'pad' the problem saying it needed to be left over the weekend and he would then end up using it to take his wife out who was my G'mas Sister and my G'ma and my Mother out either on the Saturday or Sunday for a nice Drive somewhere.

I'll be we all have an 'Uncle Harry' like him somewhere in the family or wish we did..............
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbertron View Post
    I found this old photo the other year going through old family photos, not sure who's or what car it is, but i really like the picture. A couple of photos i hoped to find but didn't were of my pop's car that was converted during the war to run on coal, and some of his motorbikes.

Looks like a 1935-36 ford coupe to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Fantastic to see those old pics, that car with the lady Gerbertron posted would make quite a hot roders wet dream.

Yes that hole in the grill of the trucks is a crank handle drive hole, cars pre and of that era also had them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    its not a ford, the grill slopes back 2 far and the 1 i had never had a radiator mascot on it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Did you serve in Vietnam Hillview ? Noticed the 6RAR stamp and date stamp.
    Yes joined 1961...66-67 vietnam

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Yes that hole in the grill of the trucks is a crank handle drive hole, cars pre and of that era also had them.
    And there is times where a crank handle would of been handy for a lot of us with a flat battery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    styling is similar but it looks to be much smaller, pommy cars of the day were quite small like this

Administrator
    Thanks

Not a car or truck, but I thought I would post it just for interests sake

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (14-07-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (14-07-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marty 17 View Post
    And there is times where a crank handle would of been handy for a lot of us with a flat battery.
    You wouldnt want to try to crank todays engines over with their high compression.
    The last car I had with a crank was an Austin A40 that I traded on a new Toyota 4 cyl Crown sedan in 1968 and even though it would not be considered a High Compression motor by todays standards, I wouldnt fancy trying to crank it over and even less if you got a 'Kick Back'.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Its bad enough when a lawn mower kicks back, if hate to feel a actual car engine kick back, would probably break your hand.

Did those old low compression engines ever kick back?

Even looking at the old propeller driven engines in the past that were hand started looked scary to start.

Thanks

Its bad enough when a lawn mower kicks back, if hate to feel a actual car engine kick back, would probably break your hand.

Even looking at the old propeller driven engines in the past that were hand started looked scary to start.
    Yes, and how. The idea was to turn them slowly until everything was ready to go and then give them a hard throw in the right direction and see how that went. I have had to put up with heaps of antique farm machinery when I was younger and if you weren't careful enough some of it would send you to hospital with some broken bones, either from kicking back or from getting the crank caught in the socket. And then don't start me on the lack of guards on all of the old machines for grabbing the unwary..... You couldn't do some things if you weren't being very careful.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Redwight For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (14-07-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

I'm with you on that, I have a , it's a single cylinder 420cc 4 wheel bike & has an optional auxiliary recoil (pull start), do you reckon I'm game to pull start it if the elec start don't work, nah, would probably brake my wrist or dislocate my shoulder.

Probably been drifting a little of topic, so back to the old cars & trucks, glad I never had to start one, just love them admin, keep them coming.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator
    Thanks

Imagine doing it on an old plane

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast