Thread: EA announce price rise for PS4 games.

Thanks

Default EA announce price rise for PS4 games.

Prices could be going up

We’re very much still in the PlayStation 4’s honeymoon period. Typically, the bubble would have burst by now – but Sony is doing a fantastic job of ensuring that the public perception surrounding its next generation console remains predominantly positive. However, that doesn’t mean that there isn’t bad news around the corner.

While the platform holder has already confirmed that first-party PS4 titles will retail for the standard $59.99 price point in North America, it looks like EA is eyeing a change overseas. As part of an FAQ on GAME’s website, the British retailer reports that the Californian company is the only publisher to confirm the prices of its next generation titles – and they’re more expensive than on the PlayStation 3.

“At present, the only publisher to confirm costs of its next generation games is EA, attaching a price of £54.99,” the shop explained. "No other game prices have been confirmed. We will of course update our listings as and when this happens. And if the price changes before release day, you will always pay the lowest price."

Outside of a few exceptions, current generation games carry an RRP of £49.99, which suggests that EA is hoping to push up prices by £5. Of course, games are rarely ever sold at full price in the UK, so there’s still hope that the titles in question will sell for the more traditional figure of £39.99. Online retailers are charging full whack at the moment, but most listings are still using placeholder assets.

In truth, we’re probably going to have to wait until at least the PS4’s launch date and lineup are announced before things start to settle down. From there, the market will ultimately dictate how much publishers are able to charge. We appreciate that games are expensive to make these days, but £54.99 is daylight robbery, so if you're not happy about it, don’t pay it.

What do you think the correct price for games should be?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I don't like how they hiked up the prices last gen. I don't really understand why they need that extra 10 for a game that took just about the same amount of time and energy to produce.

But, what can you do? It's not like you can boycott and demand games for less.

Thanks

It's not like they need more money to pay developers. As time goes on the technology behind game engines becomes so powerful that you can practically youtube how to make a great game... for free. The game engine does all the work. And not all that many games create their own game engine specifically for one game. If a game company does make a a very premium engine it will be used across many different games and genres. The way I see it. the games industry is becoming more and more like hollywood. Demanding higher prices not because they are justified but just so a few individuals can receive higher wagers.

Thanks

Well I can't say I didn't expect a price rise, after all it's a good opportunity to rise the price in the beginning of a release of a new console.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xdratx1 View Post
    Well I can't say I didn't expect a price rise, after all it's a good opportunity to rise the price in the beginning of a release of a new console.
    A good opportunity to raise the price? yes. A very unethical one? definitely.

Thanks

Yeah the prices will drop down by either the middle, or end of next year. If they don't then i'm sure that people will realise that they are being ripped off and get PC's instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JackDannox View Post
    Yeah the prices will drop down by either the middle, or end of next year. If they don't then i'm sure that people will realise that they are being ripped off and get PC's instead.
    Totally, too much money is being wasted on unnecessary things in the video game industry... licensing costing too much etc. I wonder if money was soley payed to the devs who created the game and other vitally important parts of the production process, how cheap games would be.

Thanks

This is the exact reason I love indie games and indie developers. You get the same quality of game, with better support and its ridiculously cheaper because no publishers have to be paid. I'm sure that a lot of developers could turn indie and since they already have a huge fanbase, they would have nothing to lose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JackDannox View Post
    This is the exact reason I love indie games and indie developers. You get the same quality of game, with better support and its ridiculously cheaper because no publishers have to be paid. I'm sure that a lot of developers could turn indie and since they already have a huge fanbase, they would have nothing to lose.
    Without publishers they wouldn't make as much money, sure they have to give a cut but the volume of sales is much higher with a publisher.
    Sure you can sell a good game without a publisher and make money but if you have one you sell more copies, making more money.
    Publishers can even make a bad game sell lots of copies, just look at the CoD series or the whole Kane&Lynch 2 fiasco a couple of years ago.

Thanks

There really is no need for them to increase there prices, but then again it Is a luxury item and they are out to make money. Like most things from phones to pc's when it comes to technology the newer the item the more expensive . TV's are the best example. When they first come out they super expensive, within a couple months the price drops drastically . Unfortunately you just have to accept the high prices people will still by the game.

Thanks

This is what they always do. A new console is released and studios increase the prices of their games. You have to wait some time until prices get decent again. There is nothing we can do about it and they know it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rosacrux View Post
    This is what they always do. A new console is released and studios increase the prices of their games. You have to wait some time until prices get decent again. There is nothing we can do about it and they know it.
    Sadly that's the truth of it, they know they can charge whatever they want.
    Once you've already spent $400 on a console, it's easy to justify spending $70 on a game, because hey, otherwise the console is going to waste...

Thanks

It should be 30 bucks not 50 or 60. I haven't paid full price for a game in years due to steam sales and it's why I'm staying a PC gamer this gen. A price raise? Are you serious?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbeavis100 View Post
    It should be 30 bucks not 50 or 60. I haven't paid full price for a game in years due to steam sales and it's why I'm staying a PC gamer this gen. A price raise? Are you serious?
    So true, Steam has completely spoiled me, just yesterday I saw Max Payne 3 for 50€ in a store when the previous day I had bought it on Steam's Sale for 4€.
    I have no idea how stores will be able to compete with Steam but they have to think of something fast...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oakster View Post
    So true, Steam has completely spoiled me, just yesterday I saw Max Payne 3 for 50€ in a store when the previous day I had bought it on Steam's Sale for 4€.
    I have no idea how stores will be able to compete with Steam but they have to think of something fast...
    Seriously though, most stores are chock full of pc games just sitting there because 99% of people who play on PC use steam and know about the AMAZING sales.