Millions upon millions of gamers around the world are crawling out of their skin waiting for Microsoft and Sony’s next-generation video game consoles to launch, but according to some plugged-in tech industry executives, the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are actually a “downgrade.”

For those that didnt see the recent article in Forbes, they recently spoke with executives from chip makers AMD and Nvidia about the upcoming consoles set to launch ahead of the holidays this year, and both companies seem to share a common position: The Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are great machines, but they’re nothing compared to PC gaming.

AMD is responsible for the custom Jaguar chipsets that will power both the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, and the company makes the Wii U’s graphics processor as well. AMD’s deal with Microsoft alone is worth more than $3 billion, but that didn’t stop an AMD representative from pointing out how much better PCs are for gaming, however.

The spokesperson also noted that high-end PC rigs don’t just offer better gaming experiences than consoles, they also can do everything a computer can do, thus making them far more versatile than video game consoles.

I've been a fan of PC gaming for many years and I think that they offer a much better power to cost ratio than consoles as well as the upgradeability (is that a word!)

For me consoles are fantastic and are much more about gaming than a PC ever wil be!

What do the rest of you think?