Thread: PHP vs. HTML

Thanks

Default PHP vs. HTML

Hello! I would like to teach myself some coding (already know the basics of it), and was wondering whether PHP or HTML would be better. Which do you guys think is easiest to learn? Which is asked for more often? What are some advantages and disadvantages of each? Any answers would be very much appreciated!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenniferb7890 For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (03-05-14),remildredjerm (06-05-14)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferb7890 View Post
    Which do you guys think is easiest to learn?
    HTML.

HTML is the client-side "language" that web pages in general are written in. HTML coding is what makes your website look like a website, rather than just plain text. With HTML, which is processed/rendered by the browser, you can:

Create titles, headings and subheadings.
    Make a bulleted or numbered list.
    Delineate paragraphs.
    Put text in bold or italics.
    Add pictures and links to your site.
    And much more.

HTML is not a "programming language" in common sense, as this is PHP. Within a HTML code you insert Javascript code if you want to program some elements to be displayed at last.

PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development but also used as a general-purpose programming language. PHP is currently installed on more than 244 million websites and 2.1 million web servers. PHP code is interpreted by a web server with a PHP processor module which generates the resulting web page: PHP commands can be embedded directly into an HTML source document rather than calling an external file to process data. It has also evolved to include a command-line interface capability and can be used in standalone graphical applications.

IMHO PHP due to the fact of its mostly cryptic-seeming language probably is much harder to learn than the very primitive HTML "language".

RESUME

You can't compare HTML with PHP. Serve different purposes.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 23-07-13 at 07:28 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwoegerbauer View Post
    You can't compare HTML with PHP. Serve different purposes.
    Yep, thats about it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do the TAFE night courses...

You might learn a thing or two about HTML on youtube but DIY is not the best way to learn when it comes to PHP.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Security-Guys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

i think wordpress is pretty cool lol
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

For coding I would start with C++ and Python then Java, which you can teach yourself with all the info and forums on the net.
    For websites I find all the free templates and website builders save a whole lifetime.
    HMTL is just a format and by playing around using a text editor you quickly get the picture how it basically works.
    I often just need to copy and paste snippets to get any modifications that might be not included in the builder like banners and scripts.

Courses are for horses, but that is maybe only for me. If i can't figure it out on my own(sometimes with the help of the net), I will never learn it.
    IMO the best and quickest way to learn is finding a solution to an actual problem or project that you have.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-07-13 at 09:54 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You really can't compare both. HTML isn't really a programming language. If you plan on making websites and such, you'll be learning both anyway. Well HTML at least. You can replace php with something else if you want, there's python, ruby, etc.. Most websites nowadays though run on php.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to altrouge For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

As Philquad mentioned, download and install Wordpress. Its the most popular site builder out there and uses PHP and MYSQL just like this forum does. I have 2 Wordpress sites and the more you play around with them, the more you understand them.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferb7890 View Post
    Hello! I would like to teach myself some coding (already know the basics of it), and was wondering whether PHP or HTML would be better. Which do you guys think is easiest to learn? Which is asked for more often? What are some advantages and disadvantages of each? Any answers would be very much appreciated!
    It all depends on what you want to achieve.

html is basic learnings to start with but does not need local server like wamp or webhost to view the pages offline, you can also rename the extension from html to php but you will need to upload to server or run local server like wamp etc
    php is more a server side which mean you will have to run local host like wsiamp, wamp, lamp etc depending what os you are running .
    Java is boring background web development like web forms, rotating banners etc
    CSS is for styling the pages and making them look pretty
    mysql is for database liek storing images or peoples login information on forum etc

you can use wordpress or joomla etc and upload to server and you log in by web and add, modify webpages with content, But you will need to know php, html, java if you want to customise the site or you can purchase theme close to what you want to do but even then you will need to know php,java,html and even photoshop to custimise your images.

Good place to start is - Free
    Pages Editor - Free
    Dreamweaver webpage editor/creator - paid application
    Jquery -free
    wamp windows - free
    Mamp for mac - - free
    wodpress -

just a few links to get you started.

Chieflets
    Last edited by Chieflets; 05-08-13 at 06:59 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chieflets For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    For coding I would start with C++ and Python then Java, which you can teach yourself with all the info and forums on the net.
    For websites I find all the free templates and website builders save a whole lifetime.
    HMTL is just a format and by playing around using a text editor you quickly get the picture how it basically works.
    I often just need to copy and paste snippets to get any modifications that might be not included in the builder like banners and scripts.

Courses are for horses, but that is maybe only for me. If i can't figure it out on my own(sometimes with the help of the net), I will never learn it.
    IMO the best and quickest way to learn is finding a solution to an actual problem or project that you have.
    why would person need c++ unless there creating a desktop app? plus most people these days use VB.net or C#, c++ is way to advance for newbie

Chieflets

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflets View Post
    why would person need c++ unless there creating a desktop app? plus most people these days use VB.net or C#, c++ is way to advance for newbie

Chieflets
    I'm afraid I've to disagree with this. This because OP never said what she/he in special wants to program.

100% agree with nomeat: If interested in seriously learning programming from the ground up then C / C++ and/or Java is the right choice.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 06-08-13 at 05:30 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You need to start out by learning HTML. First off, it's easier to learn than PHP as it doesn't require logical operations and has a much smaller amount of TAGS/Keywords to learn. It's important to note that HTML isn't a programming language. It's just a markup language. PHP, however, is indeed a programming language and most people who use PHP use it in conjunction with HTML. So, again, HTML needs to be your foundation.

Now, some folks in this forum are telling you to download wordpress for some reason. Don't. It will do you no good and will probably serve as a crutch anyway. What you need to do is find a free web host that offers PHP access so you can practice HTML and PHP in as pure a form as possible. Learn some basic HTML and then start trying to generate dynamic pages with PHP.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMac For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think some people here have answered your question already but in addition to that HTML and PHP are very different. HTML is just a tag and it's basically for structuring a webpage while PHP on the other hand is a server-side scripting language to make a web-page interactive. However, like some already wrote, it all depends on what you want to achieve. But, judging about what most people would want to achieve you are going to need PHP and others because you really can't make something very remarkable(for this age) with HTML alone.

Of course HTML is the easiest to learn, and if you are fully interested in web development alone, you'd have to learn HTML first. Personally, if I were you I would go HTML, CSS, JavaScript and then PHP(or any other server-side scripting language of interest). There are still others, though.
    Last edited by Cybergenius; 14-09-13 at 01:05 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybergenius For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMac View Post
    You need to start out by learning HTML. First off, it's easier to learn than PHP as it doesn't require logical operations and has a much smaller amount of TAGS/Keywords to learn. It's important to note that HTML isn't a programming language. It's just a markup language. PHP, however, is indeed a programming language and most people who use PHP use it in conjunction with HTML. So, again, HTML needs to be your foundation.

Now, some folks in this forum are telling you to download wordpress for some reason. Don't. It will do you no good and will probably serve as a crutch anyway. What you need to do is find a free web host that offers PHP access so you can practice HTML and PHP in as pure a form as possible. Learn some basic HTML and then start trying to generate dynamic pages with PHP.

No need for free websites. use the following

- wamp
    - wsiamp
    - xamp
    - lamp

Chieflets

Thanks

You can learn HTML in an evening, too! So brew up some hot chocolate, or some tea, and head over to CodeAcademy. It'll lead you through HTML, give you some little projects, and ensure you do them correctly. Pretty great.

HTML is a great thing to learn because it will give you the basis of most other things -- just understanding and learning to read basic tags will get you through a lot of other documentation you may run into.

Good luck! If you start learning and have questions, feel free to ask!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcannon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lets put it this way. They are used for different processes. One is client side the other is server side as mentioned already. PHP is often used to generate HTML. So you do a loop in PHPwhich then generates HTML to be displayed on the client side. So I Think learn HTML first , it is super quick and easy. Then learn PHP.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wwalford For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Regardless of what other languages you are interested in, be it Javascript or PHP or ASP, you still need to know HTML to work with all of those. The HTML just gives structure to the content of your page, something like PHP would make the page itself more dynamic. When coding PHP, you are intermingling PHP code with HTML code, which is why you would need to know HTML - otherwise you are not going to understand how to apply your PHP to it and target specific page elements.

It's sort of like saying you need to build a spanish powerpoint presentation, and you know powerpoint but don't speak spanish.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhioTom76 For This Useful Post:

raedemarkshant (03-05-14),remildredjerm (06-05-14),tristen (22-04-14)

Banned
    Thanks

Hello, I think you must have got the answer but I would like to write up my opinion too. As far as I know about these two, HTML is more than necessary to learn PHP. PHP is based on HTML and CSS, so you definitely must have command over these two to learn PHP efficiently.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsonrichard For This Useful Post:

• 07-09-16, 08:20 PM