Have an old machine that I keep going simply bcause it has an ISA slot for a WinRadio scanning radio receiver card. It runs largely unattended airchecking a community radio station with only two apps running, Winradio and an app to record the Winradio output. More and more when I go to check it the apps are shut down and there is the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" dialog with an opportunity to send an error report indicating that the machine has self restarted.
The machine is locally put together several years ago, unknown mobo with AMD Duron 1600 1.4 gig with oversized heat sink and fan, 512 meg ram (had 768 but one stick tested u/s with Memtest, remaining sticks test ok) 80 gig HD with clean install XPsp3 (slipstreamed as described in another thread). No antivirus running atm as it didn't play well with Symantec (not enough ram now apparantly) so I had to uninstall it but at last scan all was well. Have tried running the airchecking app in 98/ME compatability mode but still crashes. I really don't know if I should be chasing a hardware or software fault and would appreciate any thoughts