Thread: Chromecast puts Netflix on a stick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Chromecast puts Netflix on a stick

A $35 stick which puts the best of the internet on any television highlights just how far Australia is behind the US when it comes to internet video.
    Every week it seems you hear of a new way for Americans to enjoy Netflix and other internet video services. The latest offering comes from Google with the US$35 Chromecast, a tiny stick which slots into an HDMI port on your television and lets you tap into Netflix and the Google Play store.
    The fact that Google is practically giving away the Chromecast is a sign of just how big Netflix and streaming video is in the US.

The Chromecast runs on ChromeOS, like a Chromebook, so it also packs extra features such as the Chrome web browser. You can also stream from computers and handheld gadgets. This week's unveiling caught people's attention to the point where they've all but ignored the Nexus 7 tablet update, but I might look at that next week.
    There have been several attempts at Android media players in recent times, some more clunky than others, and it will be interesting to see how the Chromecast stands up running ChromeOS. I've ordered one via a US mail forwarding service, but demand is strong so I don't know how long I'll have to wait. The Chromecast sold out on Amazon quickly and then people starting reselling them for more than double the price, so I'm ordering one direct from Google.

Of course I had to employ a middleman to work around Google's real-world geo-blocking. It doesn't sell the Chromecast in Australia because officially we can't watch Netflix. Of course it's not that hard if you know the tricks, but it's frustrating that Netflix hasn't officially arrived here. We've got Quicklflix and Bigpond Movies, which are improving, but some official healthy competition from Netflix would be great.
    Americans really are spoiled for choice when it comes to internet video. Services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video are built into almost every new television, Blu-ray player and games console. There's also a range of streaming media boxes, such as the slick little Roku 3 which I've been testing recently and is perhaps the Chromecast's closest rival. The fact that Google is practically giving away the Chromecast is a sign of just how big Netflix and streaming video is in the US.

Here in Australia you're lucky to find a TV with Quickflix or Bigpond Movies built-in. Even then you'll probably miss out on some content because of exclusive rights deals. Foxtel is tying up a lot of content, as is Samsung. The idea of watching anything from any device is still a pipe dream in this country. Fatter pipes are on the way thanks to the NBN, but let's hope that they inspire services like Netflix and Hulu to look in our direction.

Do you watch Netflix in Australia? Which devices and workarounds do you use? Are you keen on the Chromecast?

Read more:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

ada101 (27-07-13),Godzilla (29-07-13),OSIRUS (26-07-13)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

Quite a few already for sale on ebay.com that I saw, I'll wait for the price to get reasonable. Realitically its not any different to using any number of the devices we already use here to get Netflix.

Administrator
    Thanks

Review

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

Only crap thing, is there is no remote

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hughdman View Post
    Only crap thing, is there is no remote
    u don't really need a remote, since u are holding the device (phone/tablet) on your hand already.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

I bought one and you don't need a tablet at all just a PC with chrome to control it. The google DNS servers are hard wired in to Chromecast so you need to add some static routes in to your router to kill them off and force the Chromecast
    to use the DNS from unblockus or alternative. There is a FAQ on chromecast setup for router on unotelly site.
    It gives me the best Netflix HD viewing of all my devices I've got using the Netflix on Chrome Browser on PC to cast to my Chromecast.
    You can cast anything on Chrome to your Chromecast including hulu from Chrome on your PC. You can cast youtube from your PC using Chrome in full HD to your Chromecast.
    I'm glad i bought it though a little pricey from a Melbourne supplier. It works 1000 times better than Cheapcast android app which is rubbish.
    Youtube and Netflix work the best with Chromecast in HD but casting from PC to Chromecast from Chrome Browser works best set to 480p for other sites like superusvoxtv ilive.to tvcatchup etc.

You need wifi and your PC on the same subnet to do this but I highly recommend the Chromecast.

I think my improved Netflix picture is because it uses HTML5 instead of Microsofts Silverlight for streaming.
    Last edited by pheggie; 26-01-14 at 04:39 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

admin (26-01-14),tristen (26-01-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks for the update, sounds very interesting.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

When you buy a Nexus tablet you often get a free HD movie purchase come with it from the google play store, you can cast it to your Chromecast and watch it on your TV in HD as well as rent or buy movies from the Google Play store
    and cast them or their trailers to your Chromecast to view on TV. I tested a rental too.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

admin (27-01-14)