Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBN installation and mode 3 cabling

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    I don't offer advice - just options. For you as an alarm tech and superior being, I know it's hard for you to understand that some consumers are not completely stupid, but I have lot's of Customers who have connected their alarm panels directly to a VoIP adapter. It's not rocket science.

As an Australian alarm tech - calling anyone dodgy is a bit rich.
    Misleading options that have the potential to land individuals in a steaming pile of horse excreta should they follow them. There are laws that govern not only cabling installation but also the provision of false and misleading information to consumers which you've so clearly demonstrated that you're eager to do.

Personally, I don't care if consumers choose to DIY. The potential for me to loose business as a result is two fifths of nothing and infact, it often results in more business when things go askew. What I do care about is that consumers are correctly informed.

You continue to lambast the Australian Security Industry as a whole with nothing more than second hand anicdotal diatribe and hearsay in what appears as a thinly veiled attempt at trolling, either that or there is something amiss with your logic. Once again you've proven once that you have a clear agenda and that agenda includes deliberately providing false and misleading information to a market who's regulations you know little to nothing about or are choosing to deliberately ignor. Either way, you're painting yourself further and further into the dodgey brothers corner you're so quick to accuse the the rest of the industry as being part of.
    Last edited by Drift; 05-08-13 at 01:24 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

mtv (05-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

I'm not Australian. How can I possibly have any credibility on this forum?

Aussie consumers come to me because they have been ripped off by their alarm company for years with rebates. When they need an NBN upgrade and get quoted $$$'s - they smell a rat and go looking for options. Most Bureaus see the NBN as an opportunity to rip their Customers one more time with an IP or GPRS solution. I see it as an opportunity for some consumers to escape Telstra and the dodgy onshore outfits that are the Australian Security Industry.

There are many great people and companies in the industry and I have been in business with some of them for over a decade - they just don't come on Austech.
    Given that you say you only offer opinions to your customers, not advice, that clearly places you in no position to criticise the Australian Security Industry as whole, without any knowledge, experience or qualifications as a service provider in that industry.

Credibility on this forum is not restricted to being Australian, however, your credibility as a professional service provider is directly related to the industry which you are specifically making your 'opinion' on and in this case, it's the Australian Security Industry, which you continue to denigrate.

Talk about a classic case of shooting yourself in both feet with both barrels!

If you feel your time on Austech is wasted and that other forums are better-suited to your rantings, then nobody is stopping you from leaving.

Thanks

It's flowing nicely now, albeit a little less vicious than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    Don’t you mean “Dodgy Offshore Outfits” that are not in the Australian Security Industry.
    No I don't. I can confirm I was referring to “Dodgy ONSHORE Outfits”.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Once again you've proven once that you have a clear agenda and that agenda includes deliberately providing false and misleading information to a market who's regulations you know little to nothing about or are choosing to deliberately ignor.
    Just so that we are on the same page, am I correct in thinking the false and misleading information you are referring to is when I stated:

"If a home owner is confident about doing the wiring themselves, then I am all for that too."

You are correct that I have an agenda concerning alarm systems and the NBN. It was clearly stated in one of my posts:

"I see it as an opportunity for some consumers to escape Telstra and the dodgy onshore outfits that are the Australian Security Industry."

The good guys in the industry will probably be having a right good chuckle at this thread because they know that my statement above does not apply to them. The dodgy ones that are now in full flow with their insults obviously took it personally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Given that you say you only offer opinions to your customers, not advice, that clearly places you in no position to criticise the Australian Security Industry as whole, without any knowledge, experience or qualifications as a service provider in that industry.
    I have been in the Aussie security industry for over a decade - and going strong Thanks.

If you feel your time on Austech is wasted and that other forums are better-suited to your rantings, then nobody is stopping you from leaving.
    On the contrary. This thread is a great reference for consumers when making a decision on what steps to take with their security system before, or after they have switched to the NBN.

Thanks

I have been in the Aussie security industry for over a decade - and going strong Thanks.

On the contrary. This thread is a great reference for consumers when making a decision on what steps to take with their security system before, or after they have switched to the NBN.
    Do you tell your clients that there Home Insurance Premium drops dramatically if they have a GPRS installed ? Sure GPRS has a upfront cost of purchasing and install but it is still the most the secure way of being monitored - as such insurance companies also realise this and accomodate them. Monitoring via GPRS is lucky to cost them $1 extra a week on top of standard monitoring but when you take into account the Insurance Premium drop your actually saving money in most cases.

Administrator
    Thanks

... This thread is a great reference for consumers when making a decision on what steps to take with their security system before, or after they have switched to the NBN.
    Consumers want and need advice and accurate information, not just opinion, so I'm sure they can make an informed decision based on what you've posted in this thread.

Thanks

IP Alarms - I am always interested in new and evolving technologies. I try and keep up to date, however one thing that stumps me is what you are offering. Don't get me wrong I aint judging your business model, just trying to understand.

If your alarms are monitored by the cloud, do you inform your customers that this is not compliant with Australian Standards, 2201.2 2004. I am stumped how a cloud can have a shell that can resist physical attack. Also if it is an automated system this is by no means compliant to an Insurance companies definition of a monitoring centre.

Eg there is a company I know of in the past in Perth that had emails sent to his phone when alarms went off. He flogged that off as monitored and another company flogging off remote CCTV monitoring. Then when asked if he had an Agents license , his response was his control room aint in Australia. So our laws do not matter, I quickly stopped going forward with working for him.

Once again I aint having a go, your business model might work for the customer who just wants to know that his alarm is going off. However you might as well sell them domestic dial from a Hills panel.

Thanks

Going back to the NBN connection debate it doesn't really matter which method of connection is employed by the client as long as they have all the information that is needed to make a choice of what is the most appropriate for them. I have customers on GPRS, GPRS/ip and even standard Dialer on both PSTN circuits as well as VoIP circuits. I let the customer know the risks and benefits of each and even encourage them to contact their insurance company to discuss the alarm monitoring and their insurance.

I find that about 85% choose GPRS or GPRS/ip as they can make savings on their insurance premiums and in some case's can recover the cost of the unit inside 6months on the savings.

The NBN does provide additional benefits and features as well as additional risks, most of which do sit with the power issues from the local batteries that need replacing every 12months at owners cost and the timing issues with regards to shutting down several hours into a loss of ac power situation. Whilst this will likely be less than once every couple of years in other places it could be several times or more a year.

Anyway I prefer to fully inform the customer and let them decided on what form of communication they use to achieve the result that they require.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romaqld View Post
    it doesn't really matter which method of connection is employed by the client as long as they have all the information that is needed to make a choice of what is the most appropriate for them.

Anyway I prefer to fully inform the customer and let them decided on what form of communication they use to achieve the result that they require.
    OMG - that's a breath of fresh air!

You have inspired me to upload my unfinished NBN checklist early (if the mods will allow the link)...

I haven't added a link to this thread just yet, but it is in the pipeline.
    Last edited by mtv; 07-08-13 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Link deleted. Only Premium members are permitted to post links to their business.

Thanks

Have you considered that it is common knowledge among crooks to turn the power off to a house that has an alarm when the owners are away, then wait a day or two and break in after the alarm battery has gone flat? With NBN they will be able to do it in just a few hours.

Thanks

If that question is aimed at me Gustav, then I am not in a position to worry about things like that. Our focus is on providing alarm signaling solutions to solve everyday problems faced by alarm system owners. We receive and forward signals for Customers in the UK, US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Europe as well as Australia. The vast majority are through dealers and not direct Customers, so we don't even know where they are. We do not usually get to know the make or model of a Customers alarm panel, let alone what techniques the local crooks use to avoid detection.

A lot of ADT Customers use our service to send signals into ADT. All they are interested in is getting their monitoring service working again after ADT have quoted them hundreds for new equipment and a big increase in monthly fees. If I asked them about their battery backup or insisted they must use a registered cabler to connect their alarm panel to their Internet connection - they'd either be offended or laugh at me. Either way - it's none of my business.

Some might view my approach as irresponsible and while I understand that, there is not really much I can do about it. We do not install or monitor alarm systems, so we have to leave some things in the hands of the alarm company and home owner. Issues surrounding battery backup and local regulations are two good examples of where we draw the line.

• The Following User Says Thank You to IPAlarms For This Useful Post:

Hound-Dog (07-08-13)

Thanks

Question for MTV.
    You seem to have a grasp of what is happening. My current feeds from the street are aerial! Does that mean the NBN will be aerial as well?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hound-Dog View Post
    Question for MTV.
    You seem to have a grasp of what is happening. My current feeds from the street are aerial! Does that mean the NBN will be aerial as well?
    Quite likely, but not definitely.

It usually depends on existing cabling infrastructure, but there are areas where NBN will provide underground cabling.

NBN Co don't always use Telstra/Optus infrastructure and install their own.

Thanks

Some might view my approach as irresponsible and while I understand that, there is not really much I can do about it.
    It would keep me up at night.

Thanks

Issues surrounding battery backup and local regulations are two good examples of where we draw the line.

So your offering alarm "advice" and "solutions" yet have no regard for Australian Regulations...

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adro View Post
    So your offering alarm "advice" and "solutions" yet have no regard for Australian Regulations...
    I don't offer advice - just options.
    He doesn't even offer advice, but he's happy to take $ from the Australian security industry.

Thanks

A lot of ADT Customers use our service to send signals into ADT. All they are interested in is getting their monitoring service working again after ADT have quoted them hundreds for new equipment and a big increase in monthly fees. If I asked them about their battery backup or insisted they must use a registered cabler to connect their alarm panel to their Internet connection - they'd either be offended or laugh at me. Either way - it's none of my business.

Some might view my approach as irresponsible and while I understand that, there is not really much I can do about it. We do not install or monitor alarm systems
    To understand this right, you allow for the transmission path forevents to go from the end user to the monitoring station. While ADT appear to be happy to monitor the alarm events that are received over this platform.

In doing this though you do not provide the end user with any local legal requirements eg Cablers Licence etc and ADT appear to be happy to receive such signals with no input as to how they get there.

Your right if this is true it does seem irresponsible

Thanks

He doesn't even offer advice, but he's happy to take $ from the Australian security industry.
    Yet he is on here constantly ranting and raving about Dodgy Australian Security companies, yet he has stated above he has no regard for Australian Regulations / Standards...

Thanks

As long as he can weasel a dollar out of the unsuspecting he's happy. If anyone questions what he is saying or doing, then you become the next subject of his attack. He loves stiring the pot until it gets too much for him then he picks up his bat and ball and moves on to the next forum to stir up a frenzy again.

I doubt if he ever held any form of a security licence but thinks he is in a position to give advice to those that do.

He actually loves the letters NBN as they stand for

Nutt By Name & Nut By Nature.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bss904 For This Useful Post:

Drift (07-08-13),itscrowtime (07-08-13)

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast