Thread: 3D TV in Australia

Thanks

Default 3D TV in Australia

Does anyone know if there would be 3D programs televised in Australia in the near future?

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

The bad news is 3D has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Here's a quote and link to an old news report.

Free-to-air channels appear to have abandoned 3D technology even though Australians splashed out more than $361 million on 3D TVs after successful 3D trials last year.

Broadcasting groups confirmed that 3D TV transmitters had now been removed from transmission towers in Australia's capital cities, and the Australian Communications and Media Authority had received no further applications for 3D TV trials, even though its transmission channel would remain available until December.

The lack of interest will mean major events, including the Rugby World Cup, will not be televised in 3D despite being filmed and available in three dimensions.

Fusion Strategy media analyst Steve Allen said the lack of action could relegate 3D TV technology to a "fad" at least for the time being and the situation would not change until 3D TV viewers complained to broadcasters in large numbers.

"The problem for telecasters is that 3D is all very interesting but it costs a lot more to telecast, so until there's a big demand they're not going to do it," he said.

"My feeling is that 3D was a fad and it has stalled.

"It may pick up again but that's not going to change in the short term."

Broadcast ONE managing director Darren Kirsop-Frearson said the 3D transmitters used to broadcast 3D coverage of the State of Origin and FIFA World Cup last year had been removed, though he said free-to-air TV networks could still hold more 3D trials if they had a change of heart.

"Technically, it can be done," Mr Kirsop-Frearson said. "The antennas are still there but they require a separate (3D) transmitter to send these broadcasts.

"It's probably a case of economics. It's not cheap to do, especially for just a couple of weeks. Last year they had a sponsor."

If the reluctance to broadcast 3D footage continues, Australian viewers may miss out on 3D coverage of the 2012 London Olympic Games.

Currently 3D TV owners can watch 3D movies on Blu-ray Discs and through pay-TV provider Foxtel. The company recently aired 3D footage of the X Games, though a spokeswoman confirmed it had no plans to broadcast the Rugby World Cup in 3D.

The Rugby World Cup final, bronze final and semi-finals will be filmed in 3D, however, with 3D broadcasts at selected Event Cinemas.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (05-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Further to the last paragraph, an Austech member also reported that Foxtel has removed its 3D channel as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Although we are talking about Aust, I should also mention the BBC is putting 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely.

The BBC is to suspend 3D programming for an indefinite period due to a "lack of public appetite" for the technology.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Further to the last paragraph, an Austech member also reported that Foxtel has removed its 3D channel as well.
    Actually that may be incorrect as Foxtel 3D is still showing on Foxtel channel 201 on my MyStar HD box, however it is not listed in the latest Foxtel guide, yet was last month??

I guess no one watches it, certainly not me.

Edit; correction for my assumption, Foxtel 3D Channel 201 is closing.
    "3D Channel Shutdown

When is the 3D channel closing?
    From Tuesday August 27th 2013 (between 4am-6am), Foxtel's 3D channel (channel 201) will cease to be broadcast and will be removed from the Foxtel onscreen and online TV Guides.
    Why is Foxtel removing the 3D channel?
    Due to a worldwide lack of 3D content production it is no longer viable for Foxtel to maintain a dedicated 3D channel.
    Will 3D programs still be available in Foxtel On Demand?
    Foxtel will continue to show the occasional 3D Pay Per View Movie title via the On Demand service. However, due to the declining availability of 3D Sport and Documentary content, we do not expect to be able to show these types of 3D content via On Demand once the 3D channel is closed down on 27th August 2013."
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-08-13 at 07:26 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Ends this month.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

@ admin; dam your quick. lol
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

You only have to look in places like Sanity etc who sell DVD's to see how little is offered in 3D. Even BluRay doesnt seem to be as prominent on the shelves as I would have expected.
    I think the current version of 3D has 3 strikes (pun intended) against it and they are the cost of the TV, the cost of glasses to view it and that you cant view it for too long, some people not at all.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!