Thread: How to set up ku LNB /dish reciever -need serious help

Thanks

Unhappy How to set up ku LNB /dish reciever -need serious help

Guys Seriously I need help, I have already tried searching but could not any with direct explanations. So I would highly appreciate your replies, suggestions or at least point me on to right reading materials .

I have open box S 16, 65 cm dish with Universal ku LNB with following details Input Frequency Range 10.70-12.75GHz

Output Frequency Range 950~2150 MHz L.O. Frequency 9.75/10.60 GHz Noise Figure 0.1dB Typical .

I live in Melbourne North and interested in watching NSS 6 Sat channels. Now how do I go about setting it up? I know there are some apps n websites to help me point to the right direction but before I do that I NEED to find out what things do I need to add on to the open box...some say frequencies etc. to be found on lygnsat...I tried to look there...but I guess information there is not as simple for someone like me who is new to this. Anyways so I guess once I input those numbers..I need to align the dish and what strength and quality should I be looking for? I know mostly ppl suggest little bigger dish but I want to try this first. since I have already invested money into it. So please any n all answers would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

first of all, is there anything on nss6 to watch?
    secondly, I would try to pick up channels from intelsat 19 first just to get a handle on setting up your receiver and LNB.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

spgrewal (06-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

I'm not even sure if there is sufficient signal on any of the footprints for Australia from NSS6.

What specifically are you hoping to receive?

Thanks

lol! seems like there are not too many channels to watch n secondly signals are too weak as well...Well I was hoping to watch some Indian channels but for sure would settle for some movie channels or I guess news channels...my least favt. option...anyways even if I have to settle for some other sat...say like intelsat 19 could you please point me out to the process that needs to be followed

Thanks

Are the Indian channels on Optus D2 still fta? might be the only place to look.

Administrator
    Thanks

What equipment do you have to measure the signals.... satfinder, meter, or nothing but your decoder?

You need to program your decoder with the transponder frequency and the LO of the LNB.

You need to aim the dish at the satellite.

Go to and enter your address and select the satellite.

You will get a Google maps image and an approximate pointing direction to the selected satellite.

Drag the marker to where your dish is mounted.

Set the LNB skew to approx the 5 o'clock position of the output connector, when viewed from the front of the dish.

Using the elevation and azimuth figures from dishpointer, set the dish.

This will be approximate only.

Now you'll need to move the dish very slowly from side to side and up and down from your starting point whilst watching signal scales on a meter/satfinder, or if you only have a decoder, whilst watching signal strength and signal quality scales on a screen from your decoder.

Once you have the highest signal strength you can get, adjust the LNB skew by rotating the LNB slightly until you obtain the highest signal quality reading.

Then you can scan the satellite, either entering transponders manually, or by using blindscan, if your decoder has it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

spgrewal (06-08-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Stuttering ????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Stuttering ????
    no just being twice as helpful as you.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

"transponder frequency and the LO of the LNB" What is LO? and where can I find these numbers ..lyngsat..? n lastly could you be kind enough to give me one example or link where I can find these numbers for say....NSS 6? or some othersite which ever is easier for you. Thanks in advance

Thanks

Jokes apart...all of you guys are helpful!

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spgrewal View Post
    "transponder frequency and the LO of the LNB" What is LO? and where can I find these numbers ..lyngsat..? n lastly could you be kind enough to give me one example or link where I can find these numbers for say....NSS 6? or some othersite which ever is easier for you. Thanks in advance
    You quoted your LNB LO frequencies in your first post.

Transponder frequencies are available on Lyngsat... but only transponders which have an Australian beam/footprint will be of any use to you.

Thanks

lo freq needs to be set in you lnb settings of your receiver. The transponder freq are what you are seeing on lyngsat.

Leroy

spgrewal (06-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

LO = Local Oscillator.

A fixed LO Ku Band LNB covers part (albeit most) of the Ku band and only requires a single LO frequency. eg: 10700 or 11300.

A universal Ku Band LNB has two separate ranges, the lower part and the upper part of the Ku Band... in other words, it can cover the entire Ku band, providing it can switch from the lower to the upper ranges.

This switching is performed by a 22kHz tone.

So in your decoder, you must enter the LO of the LNB you are using, in your case, a Ku universal LNB.

The lower LO is 9.5GHz and the upper LO is 10.6GHz and the changeover frequency is 11.7GHz.

Those figures can also be shown as 950MHz 10600MHz and 11700MHz.

You also need to have the 22kHz tone enabled if using a universal LNB.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

spgrewal (06-08-13)

Thanks

I just wish some of the respondents had answered your questions.

LO is the operating frequency of the LNB, which is set in the STB. This must be the same as the LNB, 11300, 10700 or universal 09750/10600/11700.

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

spgrewal (06-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

LO is the operating frequency of the LNB, which is set in the STB. This must be the same as the LNB, 11300, 10700 or universal 09750/10600/11700.

All questions were answered.

You haven't added anything that wasn't already covered.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (06-08-13),toyboy11 (07-08-13)

Thanks

All these numbers..gosh I feel like putting all my stuff out on gumtree for sale...lol! Thanks guys for being helpful. So for me Lo which is operating frequency of lnb is 950MHz 10600MHz and I understand the tone part of it as well...i.e to be left at 22 ...but where has this 11700 came from? is it a standard number because it is universal ku band LNB or there is a reason behind this as well.

n Other thing is I was looking at the following

N on the top it says The EIRP values are for Australia and I believe the transponder frequencies are written on the left hand side but on the right hand side -second last colum under Beam EIRP (dBW it no where mentions Aus...so Do I have look for the Aus under the same colulm and use the tr frq from the left colum of it? or I am not making sense any more n probably should drink a stubby n go to sleep for tonight!

Thanks

Wink Furfie Buster.

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    LO = Local Oscillator.

You also need to have the 22kHz tone enabled if using a universal LNB.
    Incorrect. The constant 22Khz tone is used for DiSEqC switching, and 22Khz Tone Burst in breaks of the constant Tone, for band switching. So you don't need the constant tone enabled for Universal LNB band switching.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

N on the top it says The EIRP values are for Australia and I believe the transponder frequencies are written on the left hand side but on the right hand side -second last colum under Beam EIRP (dBW it no where mentions Aus...so Do I have look for the Aus under the same colulm and use the tr frq from the left colum of it? or I am not making sense any more n probably should drink a stubby n go to sleep for tonight!

Regarding NSS6, I've just done a scan and all I found was a data transponder on 12692, so don't waste your time ok.
    Last edited by mickstv; 06-08-13 at 10:54 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

mtv (06-08-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

... So for me Lo which is operating frequency of lnb is 950MHz 10600MHz and I understand the tone part of it as well...i.e to be left at 22 ...but where has this 11700 came from? is it a standard number because it is universal ku band LNB or there is a reason behind this as well.
    As I mentioned, a universal LNB has to switch between the two local oscillator frequencies and 11700MHz is the changeover frequency.

eg: If the transponder frequency is below 11700MHz the LNB LO of 0950MHz is selected. If the transponder frequency is above 11700MHz, the LNB LO of 10700MHz is selected.

It's like two different LO LNB's in a single LNB housing abd just switches between them.

This is where an LNB with a single LO is much simpler compared with a universal LNB.

You just need to program your decoder to suit the LNB you are using and naturally, you need an LNB that covers the the transponder frequencies that you need to tune.

Thanks

toyboy11 (07-08-13)