Thread: Cat5e or Cat6 for IP cameras?

Thanks

Default Cat5e or Cat6 for IP cameras?

Which data cable, Cat5e or Cat6 is better to use when cabling IP cameras, including cameras that use POE? Does one cable give higher data speeds and/or can be used for longer runs? What is the maximum recommended distance that an IP camera with POE be cabled using either cable?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The limitation is the standard for networking at 90mtrs approx between network devices.
    Cat6 would be better of course since it is a higher rated bandwidth but network cameras don't really test the bandwidth limitations anyway so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmman View Post
    Which data cable, Cat5e or Cat6 is better to use when cabling IP cameras, including cameras that use POE? Does one cable give higher data speeds and/or can be used for longer runs? What is the maximum recommended distance that an IP camera with POE be cabled using either cable?
    I have used cat5 with no issues, even with PoE systems. 100 metres is what most recommend.

Thanks

If you have a cable run is 100 to 130 metres you can get away with cat6 rather than install a repeater or additional Poe switch. It's not recommended but can get you out of trouble. Other than that cat 5 up to 100 metres is fine.

Thanks

cat5e will be fine for all your IP cameras. cat6 (and the 200MHz certification) is now sometimes required by clients but is overkill for a single camera. Mind you cat6 is now so prolific that some of my suppliers actually sell it at the same price or slightly cheaper than cat5e in bulk! I will use either to cameras. You can pipe a fair bit of video down either.

The 90m (ish) limit can be a pain especially when upgrading from coax. I get around this either with PoE extenders or if there are bunch of cameras in the 90m+ area I will stick a small industrial PoE switch in the field on the end of a cat6, or if the bandwidth and/or distance is to far I will just design in another node on fibre. Some clients will require no network copper outside buildings so fibre is a must.

Thanks

The 90 meter limit only applies to structured cabling where you use patch leads at either end. In most smaller systems to save costs, point to point cabling is used so the full 100 metres can be achieved without the need for patch panels, patch leads wall plates etc.