Thread: Washing Machine problem

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Default Washing Machine problem

The machine is an Electrolux EWF1083 belonging to my son. It starts ok, fills and starts washing but, half way thru the cycle it decides that there is something blocking the inlet and throws up an E10 message. It will fill normally at the start of the cycle, but when it comes to the rinse the solenoid does not appear to be operating properly as though it is only partially open. Resetting the cycle does not seem to work then and the machine then will not even fill at the start of the cycle. The only way to convince it to work is to unplug it and let it start again. I've checked all hoses/filters between the tap and the detergent tray and cannot find any restrictions. Water pressure is not even an issue as a)we've moved the machine 30miles from his place to mine and b)our machine is working properly using the same supply as is his until halfway through the cycle. It's as though the solenoid has chucked a hissyfit and said, "Stuff ya, I'm only going to work at half pace!" As far as I know, solenoids are either on, or off, though from experience they can clog up with crap, but then they tend to leak, not slow down. Could the controller board be playing up and only sending out a low voltage that hardly allows the solenoid to operate and lock solidly? Can't seem to find a service manual anywhere on-line. Wife says son has also reported an E11 error, but I have never seen that, and treat that with some suspicion as the only error codes that I can seem to find are E10, E20, and E40 (i.e. low water pressure, blocked outlet, and door).

What am i missing?

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks

Have I posted this in the wrong forum? Or is my explanation unclear. In short:
    E10 error (insufficient pressure) Halfway through a cycle.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Have I posted this in the wrong forum? Or is my explanation unclear. In short:
    E10 error (insufficient pressure) Halfway through a cycle.
    No mate right place, just looks to me like no one can add to what you've already done, it probably is the solenoid that is worn out, possibly jamming & maybe not letting enough water thru, unless there is a filter inline somewhere that is blocked.
    Those little mesh filters that are standard on most machines just inside the inlet connection can block up with crap that comes in from local water work maintenance, however that wouldn't explain why the machine can do half a cycle before it gets the error. Just thinking out loud.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Following on from what Tiny said, I had a similar problem recently with my Simpson Esprit front-loader. It went part-way through the cycle but failed when it was time to do the first spin. I started taking the back off it, thinking the belt might have broken or come off. However it was just that the lint filter was clogged with fluff. After cleaning that out, it was back to normal and has been working fine ever since.

The reason it stops part way through the cycle if the lint filter is clogged is that it can't do a spin until it has pumped the bulk of the water out. The pump can't empty it when the filter is clogged.

If it is full of water (which it probably will be) when you undo the lint filter, water will rush out, so be prepared for some mopping up. It's a good idea to unplug it from the power too.

Of course the filter I am talking about is on the outlet, not the inlet. If yours is not even filling, the problem is more likely on the inlet side. Still, I thought I should mention it just in case. For instance, it might not fill because it needs to flush or empty any remaining contents first.
    Last edited by Coldamus; 16-08-13 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I might just add on my last washing machine we use to have one of the water inlet solenoids fail every 5 to 6 years, in our case it was not kicking out codes being a older machine so it may be something to check.

Looking at your post however something tells me this may or may not not be the case as it does initially fill.

Does it fill with warm water and then rinse with cold?

If so next time check when its filling if only hot water is being used, it may be a case of both solenoids opening to let warm water in but in actual fact only the hot one is working, then on spin when it uses cold water only the error appears because no water was entering due to the cold solenoid was always stuck shut.

Only suggestions, my latest washing machine only has a cold water inlet, no hot water facility.

LSemmens
    Thanks

This machine has only one inlet but two solenoids I've even swapped the wires over to the alternate solenoids to prove the solenoids but still have the issue. 9 times out of ten, if I push the start button again after the E10, it starts working properly again and completes the cycle.

Edit: Thanks for the suggestion Coldamus, It was the first thing that both son, and then I, checked.
    Last edited by lsemmens; 17-08-13 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks

Default Any progress

Hi, did you ever solve this problem? My same washing machine has the exact problem as yours.

James

Thanks

I had the same problems but changing the inlet valve solenoid fixed it, I did download a circuit for this machine so should be in my hard drive somewhere if required.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I tried that on Son's machine and IIRC it did NOT solve the problem, but that is a good start. Cheap and easy to do.

Thanks

Hi Isemmens - I have exactly the same problem. Changed the inlet valve Solenoid and it also did not fix it. Did you end up fixing yours?