Thread: Xbox (Wireless Problem)

Thanks

Default Xbox (Wireless Problem)

Hi All,

I have been running an Xbox 360 connected through a linksys WRT54G router through Lan (cable) for some time (no problems). Due to moving the XBox 360 into another room, I would like it to be wireless. I have a linksys wireless USB adapter that I'm connecting to the Xbox, but my problem is that when I disconnect the lan from the XBox I cannot then apply the wireless details on the Xbox. I have altered the router to accept the mac address and have wireless security details but again cannot proceed..

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

cheers

MarkS

Look Here ->
    Thanks

ull need a wireless access point

a good unit is the tp link 501, there has been some recent talk in flashing other units to perform in client mode, have a look into that if your interested in messing around and trying to get things to do what they werent meant to do

set it up in client mode on a PC first, once u have got that to work
    connect it to your xbox

in the xbox set it up as if it were wired connection

gl

Thanks

thanks Urban,

I'm a little confused. I have been using the Xbox for some time running Xbox Live, etc...I have throughout the house a number of PC's running wireless back to the router (linksys WRTG54) not the greatest but works. I have purchased the USB Wireless compatible withe the Router, but cannot change the setings on the Xbox. The Xbox runnng with the profile excludes me from placing in details.

Do I have the necessary hardware, or I need to purchase the "wireless access point".

thanks in advance...

MarkS

Thanks

Marks the hardware you have is not compatible with the xbox. The problem is the xbox does not have the needed drivers to configure the linksys wireless USB adapter. There are some specialized device just for gaming but there overpriced and lack features. Running a router in WDS mode is the best solution. I run a wrt54g flashed with dd-wrt firmware. It gives me all the features I need and more.

By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind

Thanks

thanks guys,

So if I flash DD-WRT on my router, which I was looking at performing. Could I then use the wireless USB?

WUSB54GC 802.11G COMPACT USB ADPT
    Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter
    Protected by WPA and up to 128-bit data encryption

Or do I still need a Wireless Access Point...if so what do you recommend and does that mean I have to flash as well...

Currently, I'm running cat 5 cable to the router for gaming, etc...all good..

MarkS

Thanks

Using dd-wrt on your router will not magically make your xbox work with the USB adapter. In fact nothing is going to get the USB adapter working with the xbox so completely forget about the USB adapter.

If you had a second router you could set that up in room with the xbox and link it back to your primary router via WDS/Client mode.

Urban recommends the tp link 501
    I would recommend any dd-wrt compatible router with dd-wrt firmware on it because it is so versatile.

By reading this, you have already given me control over a tiny slice of your mind

Thanks

Thanks for you advice....

Just purchased a WRT54GL Wireless router.....is there any difference between the WRT54G and GL .....I'm reading that it is only that 54G is version 5 or 6 and the GL is back to vers 4....and also I have found the instruction to flash DD-WRT on version 5 and/or 6 but not the GL model...could someone point me in the right direction please...

cheers

M

Thanks

Your WRT54GL might already have client mode on it. Check it's manual/settings. Might save you having to load dd-wrt on it.

Also what version is the GL router ? (on the sticker on the bottom)

Thanks

thanks covert,

sorry for the long delay....working away from home....

WRT54GL is version 1.1 (CL7B)...what procedure do you recommend...I would like to flash with DD-WRT....if Client Mode is there...is it as easy as choosing that option and underway...

again thanks...

cheer

MarkS