Thread: GWN 7 and LG TV problem in WA

Queensland - servicing rural Aust & Sth Pacific
    Thanks

Default GWN 7 and LG TV problem in WA

This is baffling. Is anyone else getting reports of late model LG digital TV's not receiving GWN7 in rural WA? All other brands of TV's in the same locations are apparently able to receive all pictures, channels and EPG. It's only late model LG's and only GWN7. Anyone?
    "the one with the sugar coating is the one that would otherwise taste worst".

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Haven't heard of issues in WA, but I have previously seen similar problems with LG TV's in VIC & NSW (eg, just one or two channels affected)

Firmware updates on affected screens solved those problems.

This may or may not be related of course.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

beerman (29-08-13)

Thanks

If a reset/retune/software update doesn't work, you could try getting aggrieved parties to post on GWN7's facebook site.

That may get a quicker response in regards to having something done to resolve the issue.

I'm assuming from the OP that only the GWN7 stream is affected, not the whole multiplex. Maybe the ts has been fiddled with at some stage, & these new LG TVs can't handle this.

(even though they should, as they seem to be the only TVs affected, & the latest software update, if one is indeed available, doesn't resolve the problem.)
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

• The Following User Says Thank You to Antennaman For This Useful Post:

beerman (29-08-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I thought to sell any digital receiver (Terrestrial or VAST) they have to be 'compliant' with the technical standards of Australian TV.
    If the complaints regarding the LG TV's are correct and nothing else is affected, the ball is in the LG court and its their responsibility to correct it.
    Trade Pratices Act, Goods sold must be suitable for the purpose they are intended for.........
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

There is a a standard for digital television receiver manufacturers, but it is non mandatory.

Yes, I agree the ball may be in LG's court, sometimes it requires consultation between a number of parties to resolve an issue.

(Sometimes it doesn't happen. I've had a spurious LG TV that couldn't receive channel 50 in Tassie, even with the latest firmaware update. The set was over 5 years old, and the response was along the lines "no longer supported, buy a new TV.")
    Never stand under a shadow that's getting bigger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This is baffling. Is anyone else getting reports of late model LG digital TV's not receiving GWN7 in rural WA? All other brands of TV's in the same locations are apparently able to receive all pictures, channels and EPG. It's only late model LG's and only GWN7. Anyone?
    Since we went digital in june in my area I have come across 3 LG tvs that wont recieve GWN, 7 Mate and 7two. I have also noticed that on all 3 tvs that the adverts work fine then black screen when the show comes back on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This has been a known issue with some LG TV's. What area in WA are you referring to?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Default GWN 7 and LG TV problem in WA

Have you checked parental lock to make sure all ratings are allowed ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

beerman (29-08-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

This would be rather difficult to check but does that problem occur in other areas as they dont transmit on the same frequency from all translators?
    Is the frequency there the 'full' XXX.500 mhz or XXX.625 mgz as some TV didnt like scanning SBS where it was on XXX.625 mhz.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

This problem affects residents in Menzies, Laverton and Leonora. Although they don't get the ads and it is only GWN7 not 7MATE or 7TWO. After considering your responses, particularly the issue in Jurien Bay, I am thinking the issue is the parental lock.

I will check this out to see if it could be as simple as that.
    Last edited by beerman; 29-08-13 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Add more information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Is the frequency there the 'full' XXX.500 mhz or XXX.625 mgz .
    Thanks Gordon,

As we installed the services in these WA locations I can confirm that all frequencies are XXX.50Mhz. Even so TV's should all handle up to a .15Mhz offset without any issue. I think the Parental Lock may be the culprit. Seem the most obvious at this point in time. I am having some of the residents with affected LG TV's check their Parental Lock settings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Have you checked parental lock to make sure all ratings are allowed ?
    Hoe, that is the best possible reason I have heard to date. And I have spoken with LG, GWN and reconfigured the multiplex for the GWN7 services at three separate re-transmission sites - all without any luck. Could it be that simple?