Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Express - Map Loading problems?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    If you want to save the files for further LM updates for other units, you need to check the box 'Leave installation files on my computer'..........
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    No need for all that fuss to make the img available to other units. You can copy it of the installed unit & unlock with Gim or FIU.
    You may have misunderstood me there big feller. I'm only talking about any other LM units for that with the saved installation files. But sure, even for them just put on the unlocked image if you've got the other files anyway in the easiest option.
    Appears there is many ways to skin this cat.
    Oh yeah! Amen to that.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

The latest Garmin Express is a horror movie.

I know I said I wouldn't use GE again however the last couple of times I used it it worked well & so for testing purposes (yeah I love being tortured) I allowed it to update to latest version 4.0.15.0. Hmm looks different, updated UI.

So like a good crash test dummy I plugged in my NUVI 2597LMT, then it checks for updates & finds firmware & map updates.

* 1st problem: It informs me that it wont install maps to the device after download; that will have to be done using Mapinstall that will be downloaded at conclusion of map download along with BaseCamp as well by GE.

* 2nd problem; I swallowed the bait & allowed it to go ahead,
    step 1 download & install FW, tick,
    step 2 disconnect & restart device, wait for main menu to appear, tick.
    step 3 reconnect device, tick, then fail, GE says firmware install failed.?? But the device showed it had installed successfully?
    Tried again 3 times with same result, even though the device says it has the latest firmware on-board.

So I say stuff it & go to map download, no can do until FW is updated.

Uninstalled GE, installed latest WebUpdater from Garmin, connected Nuvi 2597 again. it checks for updates & says my device software is up to date. As I thought it was.

installed MapUpdater from links on page 1 of this thread.
    Connected Nuvi 2597 again.
    Checked for map update, all good, downloaded & installed on device & PC, with no drama.
    Device works as it should.

End of story, Garmin still can't get a simple thing as FW & map update in 1 program to work smoothly & as Surething says it manages to brick some units cause it can.

I should have known better.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

precious (30-06-15),Surething (30-06-15)

Thanks

HaHa! You can lead a horse to water ......

Safest to use only WebUpdater and MapUpdater separately. MU will also insist on a fw update if it deems it necessary for proper running of the new version of the map but it can be done within the program. Better to just connect to WU first, do any updates and then start MapUpdater. IMHO GE is still a steaming crock of sh*t and because it's taking them so long to get it right i'm wondering if their source code is just fatally flawed.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (30-06-15)

Thanks

Default Garmin Express

I have a Garmin nuvi 255w that I thought was on life time maps and plugged it in yesterday after a long spell in the cupboard and Garmin Express wanted money for a new map. So I opened Base Camp and it updated the map no trouble at all.
    I will download that garmin Mapupdater you listed at the beginning of this thread and try that.
    My Express is v4.1.5.0 but I will uninstall anyway as doesn't work for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaygill View Post
    I have a Garmin nuvi 255w that I thought was on life time maps and plugged it in yesterday after a long spell in the cupboard and Garmin Express wanted money for a new map. So I opened Base Camp and it updated the map no trouble at all.
    I will download that garmin Mapupdater you listed at the beginning of this thread and try that.
    My Express is v4.1.5.0 but I will uninstall anyway as doesn't work for me.
    Just installed Mapupdater and it said my map was up to date...
    I notice it doesn't actually install any sort of program called Mapupdater so I just dragged it onto the desktop for future use....is that the way to do it?
    TNX

Thanks

G'day Kay. MapUpdater is a 'standalone' app, it's not installable but simply runs directly from the .exe file. Dragging it to the Desktop simply creates a copy of it there, which is fine. You can also right click the .exe file in it's download folder and choose 'Send To' > 'Desktop (create shortcut)' to place a Shortcut icon on the Desktop. Either way is fine.

Regarding your earlier comment about updating the map from BaseCamp .... actually, no, you didn't. BaseCamp invokes MapInstall to compile an .img file from a gmap folder [PC Install version] to then send it to a unit/media card. I'm guessing you had an unlocked gmap folder on the PC which you downloaded from somewhere .. GPS Power maybe [nudge nudge, wink wink] ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surething View Post
    G'day Kay. MapUpdater is a 'standalone' app, it's not installable but simply runs directly from the .exe file. Dragging it to the Desktop simply creates a copy of it there, which is fine. You can also right click the .exe file in it's download folder and choose 'Send To' > 'Desktop (create shortcut)' to place a Shortcut icon on the Desktop. Either way is fine.

Regarding your earlier comment about updating the map from BaseCamp .... actually, no, you didn't. BaseCamp invokes MapInstall to compile an .img file from a gmap folder [PC Install version] to then send it to a unit/media card. I'm guessing you had an unlocked gmap folder on the PC which you downloaded from somewhere .. GPS Power maybe [nudge nudge, wink wink] ...
    Hi surething thanks for your reply.
    I don't seem to have 'Webupdater' you mention in your post. Only Mapupdater. Can you give me a link to that? Maybe I don't need it as the map is up to date according to MapUpdater.
    I see a lot of posts about Garmin Express not working so will keep watching.
    Thanks again and nice to make contact again
    Kaye

Thanks

WebUpdater is for updating software on most devices and also voices and other such files, it doesn't update any mapping data other than gmaptz.img [time zone map]. Some info and the download link available here:
    Code:
    http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp
    I don't seem to have 'Webupdater' you mention in your post. Only Mapupdater. Can you give me a link to that? Maybe I don't need it as the map is up to date according to MapUpdater.
    Unless you have an 'LM' subscription for lifetime maps, MapUpdater won't offer to upgrade existing OEM detail maps even at a cost. Instead of reporting the non-LM detail map is 'out of date' it gives that silly 'up to date' message which is quite self-defeating [aka really stupid] on Garmin's behalf, both from a marketing and legal liability point of view. GarminExpress will update the OEM detail mapping on LM devices free and also offer a non-LM update for a charge. At least that function is sensible.

GarminExpress [GE] combines the capabilities of MapUpdater [MU] and WebUpdater [WU] and has additional functions such as basic backup of device files. GE does not support many older auto devices such as StreetPilots. It's still very buggy and i won't use it, it's faster than MU/WU when it works OK, but it's still bricking devices occasionally. Best avoided imho. Garmin will not take responsibility if you brick an 'out of warranty' device like your 255W using GE. They claim it doesn't brick devices but the strongly anecdotal evidence is that it has many times.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

kaygill (23-08-15),Tiny (23-08-15)

Thanks

Hi guys my garmin alpha 100 is saying radio function is disabled . Frequency is not authorised for this location can anyone help me please it is a Aus version thanks david

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david_clark86 View Post
    Hi guys my garmin alpha 100 is saying radio function is disabled . Frequency is not authorised for this location can anyone help me please it is a Aus version thanks david

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Have read @
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12