Thread: Garmin 2597 Display loaded POI's

Thanks

Default Garmin 2597 Display loaded POI's

Have a Garmin 2597 and downloaded the POI Loadier and installed POI's. Cannot see any way to get the POI's to display on the map. Can search the POI's and then select POI and route to that POI. Would like to see the other POI's loaded on the map with name as I pass them.
    How is this done please.

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Interesting I have just purchased a 2597LMt myself.

So had a look around for you.

You may have to enable the map layer containing those POI's or save them as favorites (the later sounds like a lot of work if there are lots of POI's you wish to display).

I temporarily set my home location as a favorite & it displays automatically on the map so that works.

You may have to play around with the map layers settings.

Found the following quote; may help. Source; http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/request.do?create=kb:garmin&view%28%29=c{f5530d80-b556-11df-55a0-000000000000}

"Question: Will my automotive device display POI icons on the map?
    Answer:
    Most automotive devices will only display icons on the map for your saved Favorites or custom Points of Interest (POI) files that you may have installed. To view the custom POI icons, you will need to zoom in the map to 200 feet or closer. The preloaded points of interest (restaurants, hotels, attractions, etc.) will not display icons on the map if they are not also saved favorites.
    The device will show the POI icons on the map when it has started moving or is in an active route.
    POI icons will NOT display on the map if your map view is set to either North Up or Track Up.
    The zumo 350, dezl 760, RV 760, and nuvi 2405, 2407, 2408, 2505, 2507, 2508, 2707, 2708, 3400, 3500, 3507, and 3508 series devices will only display POI icons when you have that map layer selected. For more information on map layers, view the article

Also here is the manual if you don't already have it downloaded.

In the mean time I'll have a play around with my Nuvi to see what works for custom POI display & map layers. My old 1490 doesn't have map layers that I know of, so have have never had the opportunity to learn this.
    There is always something new to learn.
    Hope that helps.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Have come to the conclusion the Garmin 2597 is an amateurish effort and bordering on useless junk.
    There are so many issues with this 2597.
    If you select UTM as the position coordinates the unit won't stick at WGS84. Every switch off and switch reverts to some European format.
    The time cannot be set to Automatic for some strange reason.
    The Voice Activation cannot be used unless you have US or British English which I think is what upsets the clock Automatic feature.
    The Favourites are a non-event and not even mentioned in the owners manual or the POI installer.
    Many other issues with options that are forced on you.

Have bought some crappy technology in my time, but this Garmin 2597 is amateurish rubbish junk.
    This Garmin is going back for a refund from what I can see.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Bullshit, pull your head out of your arse & learn your new device.
    Looks like there is no way to help you without wasting more of my time.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

Interestingly there is no information on Favorites in the Garmin manual and searching on the Internet many have the same issue. Garmin's website is no help.
    Spent over two hours playing with the unit to see how it is possible and cannot find a way. If Garmin make this stuff such a big secret and so hard no doubt others from searching have the same issue.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Maybe they thought that if you had actually used the GPS for navigating you may have found Favourites all by yourself?

Try "voice command", look at list, say "Favourites". May not be listed or will be greyed out if there is nothing in the folder.

It's no big secret, when you touch "Where To?" on the opening screen; on the right of the next screen you will see, "Categories", "Favourites", "History".
    BTW, "History" on older units was called "Recently Found", as that is exactly what it is, it shows your most recently found search locations.

In the main area of that screen are other search options, you will also see a Folder called "Personalise", open that & you can add more Favourite shortcuts & Search Tools. Try browsing your device & all is revealed. These things are all mentioned in the first couple of pages of the manual, they just summed them up as "Categories" or "Saved Locations".

When you have lots of places from different categories in your "Favourites", the "Favourites" folder will automatically subcategorize for you to make finding the exact "Saved Location" (Favourite) easier.

Now here's the hard one, to put a location in Favourites,
    1;search for a location (any location you like, Address, Petrol station, Bank, Restaurant, etc),
    2;from the search results, select a location,
    3;Select the "i" button,
    4;select the menu bars top left then "Save". There you will have Saved a Location.

Not that hard when you try it.

EDIT: BTW, as the manual is written for USA, so some wording might be different depending on Text Language settings on your device. Eg: Usa text, changes "Favourites" to "Saved", "History" to "Recent".
    Last edited by Tiny; 26-08-13 at 12:07 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lineland View Post
    There are so many issues with this 2597.
    If you select UTM as the position coordinates the unit won't stick at WGS84. Every switch off and switch reverts to some European format.
    Tried this & yes when you set to Unit Format to UTM, the device Datum defaults to European, if you then reset the Datum to WGS84 & Save, it stays as WGS84. Problem solved.

The time cannot be set to Automatic for some strange reason.
    Interesting mine is on Automatic by default, did you have satellite lock when trying that? Have you updated to latest firmware?

The Voice Activation cannot be used unless you have US or British English which I think is what upsets the clock Automatic feature.
    What language do you want it speak, German??
    You bought the device in an English Speaking country.

The Favourites are a non-event and not even mentioned in the owners manual or the POI installer.
    Answered this in detail in my previous post, it really isn't hard to work out as the manual is written for USA, so some wording might be different depending on Text Language settings on your device. Eg: Usa text, changes "Favourites" to "Saved", "History" to "Recent".

Are we getting clearer now?
    Cheers, Tiny